My ears are ringing, Its a Tone Monster !

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

My ears are ringing, Its a Tone Monster !

Postby birddog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Its been a fun ride. My Bassman project is complete. For now anyway, I'm gonna play it for a while to see if I want to make any more changes later but it sure sounds nice now. Blackfaced, new Sprague Atoms, pots, new 3 prong ground, all solder joints touched up and a few other things my lifelong buddy that did the internal work on it told me from the stuff I told him I was looking for.
When I got it off ebay.
Not pretty, beat up faceplate, some broken pots, half assed 3 prong cord, but hey it worked.
inside shot of chassis, had some work done in its 35+ years.
So, I decided to recover the head cab & I love tweed and stripped it.
Tolex Glue, tools and application
This is my first time doing this, read up on it. Precut pieces, apply glue to both surfaces it worked out pretty good, made a couple mistakes. The next one will be better but hey, its a player.
Ends done, then top & bottom to be done
[img]
Back panel
Recover the front panel, then take it apart & apply the 3 coats of tinted polyurethane
New brown leather raised handle and blackface face plate from Marsh Amps, hey nothing else to do while waiting for the chassis to be completed.
This thing can make a cheap guitar sound good, got that Coyote slant cab I posted about a while back cause my ears aren't in my ankles, 2 10" Eminience Patriot Rajin Cajins. So far I like it. Just picked it up saturday night and still test driving but I'm a happy man.
Not bad for first time.
I'll probably recover the cab to match & get rid of that Peavey like tolex and put on Fender Oxblood grille cloth, after I break this thing in. :mrgreen:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: My ears are ringing, Its a Tone Monster !

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice job Wally! Have you had sex with it yet, lol...? I know I'd be sleeping with it if I owned it. Looks like it'd make a good harp rig for ol' Bubba too, ha!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Blind Doc Jones » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:28 am

Yea Man! That is sweet; I am so jealous. Good job.
Blind Doc Jones
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Wow! Nice one!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Nice Bassman in piggyback blonde!
texas blues
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Bubba
Not too bad for harp, played with it last night. Couldn't get it above about 3.5 though, only got a 15 ft mic cord.(feedback)
Got me thinking about the mods to be done later to the bass channel though.
Looks better with the cab grille cloth changed.
Now I really gotta recover that cab it just don't look right.

But when I turn around and play I don'teven notice :wink:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Where in the hell have I been?

Wally I didn't know you were converting a Bassman????

I'm still playing mine after I recap. I love the way it sounds so much that I haven't bother to convert it to Blackface specs yet. We have really similar rigs now...weird. Only I run mine with a LPB1 Clone boost and Digital Reverb.
bignick
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:44 pm

bignick wrote:Where in the hell have I been?

Wally I didn't know you were converting a Bassman????

I'm still playing mine after I recap. I love the way it sounds so much that I haven't bother to convert it to Blackface specs yet. We have really similar rigs now...weird. Only I run mine with a LPB1 Clone boost and Digital Reverb.

I don't know where you have been man, I sent you a couple pm's the end of July that this was all your fault :wink:
After reading your post and talking to people I surmised I needed a bassman too. I thought you were mad at me for those pm's.
Anyway, I paid $285.00 for mine. It looked like heck but It worked. I gave the chassis to a good friend after doing a bunch of research and posting questions to all the "fender amp guru's" on the vintageamp/plexi board.
They advised to change the pots, do a recap and play it for a while to see where I wanted to go with it next.
Well my friend dave has extensive knowlege in this, kinda renewed his interest after he started playing again. I ordered all the caps, pots and stuff from tubesandmore.com or Antique Electronic Supply and had them shipped to his place.
His wife is probably pi$$ed at me, he really into it now, he's ordered more books, started a schematic book and went out and bought a basket case Champ and hot rodded it for harp and he's looking for more amps. :lol:
He called me up when he fired it up for the first time, ranting on the phone about how great this amp sounded. I went over to pick it up the following saturday. He did do some tweeks but didn't elaborate to much, said just play it for a while and then let me know what your looking for and we can change it. I asked him about a bill, he said there is no stinkin bill. :blink:
Were going to get together over the winter and do some jammin.
Mines a 1973, after everything was tallied including shipping on everthing I got about 8 bills in it. I couldn't buy anything this good new for that. Good thing it was a little at a time.
Its all your fault Nick :D thanks, I mean it I'm a happy man.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Nice job.

To help with Harp feedback, Change the resistor going to ground from the back of the treble pot on whichever channel you are using.
The stock value should be between 4K and 10K .Change it to a smaller value,suck as 1K , which will reduce the midrange frequency that is feeding back thru your mic.
You could also wire a small value resistor ( 1K )to the slide switch, then in parallel with the stock resistor, allowing you a "Harp Option", while still keeping the stock sound.
For Harp, also try a lower gain preamp tube, like a 12AY7 or 12AU7.

For Guitar foolishness, increasing the value of this same midrange resistor will give a nice TS-808 style mid, treble, and volume bump.
33K seems to work nicely. 56K gets a little hairy.

Season's greetings,
DRU
DRU LORE
Regular

Postby straightblues » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 am

You did a fine looking job on that amp. I had a 65 that I sold about 18 months ago. I really miss it. I might be hunting for another one soon. :twisted:
straightblues
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:32 pm

ToneyLuhnow wrote:That's great, I like seeing posts like this where we can see the progress from start to finish. You must be proud.
[SPAM LINKS REMOVED]

Thanks for the bump, spambot!

I missed these links when I approved this seemingly topical post.

Awesome looking amp.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby shamRock » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 am

Fabulous Bassman !!it's really attractive to turn it on and listen :D
shamRock
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues