tone quest!!!!!!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

tone quest!!!!!!

Postby catchybluestunes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:38 am

so i dnt know if this has been asked before, john mayer is probably my favorite artist. I love his trio tone, how what kinda pedals do i need for the, sorta cleamn, yet overdriven, real punch, break up sound? take a listen to what im talking about.

( ps: im playing through a mexi 96 strat, into a vintage 78 fender pro reverb, ive got a vox wah, fulltone fulldrive 2, and a dean markly overlord)
catchybluestunes
Regular

Re: tone quest!!!!!!

Postby catchybluestunes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:47 am

oops forgot to put the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgeNeCh5CA
catchybluestunes
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Nothing remarkable about his tone. It's pretty generic. Strat, amp, overdrive of choice and you're there. You already have that.

Salute', TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

Everybody has their own sound, if you have something that won't go away and let you sound like somebody else, don't fight it. What you're getting is you and that will always be something special.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BigDaddybluesman » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Y'all....

Strat......OD/distortion type pedal........tube amp........top notch playing........and you're there.

No secret.....that is the most basic generic good strat sound.
BigDaddybluesman
Regular

Postby Redeye1964 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 am

With players with TONE like Mayer et al its in the fingers as much as your gear
Redeye1964
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Good amp, lows 4 mids 4 high 5 reverb 4, good guitar,tuned ofcourse, nice bump on side of thumb,
bottle of 3 roses and a reason, yer good ta go
601blues
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Watch these two videos:

I know the Gibbo is fatter sounding, but what makes "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" sound good isn't the guitar or that amp. Not that having a $5000 Two Rock amp wouldn't be neat.

See the recent thread on Bob Dylan's tone.

Some actual tips on tone, though:
Most of his guitars have low output pickups (Big Dippers in his Strats, PAF-types in the 335s/jazz boxes). Lower yours. Turn the amp up.
Get some reverb.
Lose your pick.
Use an amp with a great clean sound, and use an overdrive pedal.
Read interviews and watch the stuff on YouTube that shows his guitar close up to figure out how he plays.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby straightblues » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:10 am

In order to get those tones, your amp needs to be cranked to at least 7. Then turn down your guitar volume to about 6 or until it cleans up. With a Pro, it might still be very loud. If it is, you will need to get a smaller amp.

You can try to simulate these tones with a boost pedal or an overdrive pedal. I like the Keeley Java Boost and the Clark Gainster. But still, to get those tones, your amp needs to be cranked up a little. If you are going to go this route, turn up the gain on the pedals, and again turn your guitars volume down to clean things up.

Try this and report back.
straightblues
Regular

Postby almcg2 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:08 am

catchybluestunes wrote:so i dnt know if this has been asked before, john mayer is probably my favorite artist. I love his trio tone, how what kinda pedals do i need for the, sorta cleamn, yet overdriven, real punch, break up sound? take a listen to what im talking about.

( ps: im playing through a mexi 96 strat, into a vintage 78 fender pro reverb, ive got a vox wah, fulltone fulldrive 2, and a dean markly overlord)

Well first off you gotta get that glassy vintage tone that is the main thing we like about Meyer. So... my opinion is using a good tube amp which is known for that vintage glassy sound. I would say a Marshall JCM 800 (2203 maybe), tweaked just right, would get you there if your strat had mayer's pups. not sure what he uses, maybe pearly gates. I have a 1980's Tokai (Japanese) that hits that sound perfectly. Not sure how they did it, but theu supposedly copied an early 60's strat I think. You might add in an 808 tube screamer as well to help warm it up a bit.
almcg2
Regular

Return to Guitar