views on this guitar

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

views on this guitar

Postby farmaz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 pm

i been hunting for a resonator for a while, i was going to go for one of the wooden bodys ones like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CHICAGO-BLUES-R ... 2c5112c1db

but was told it was better to save more money & go for a solid body one. last night i was having a lookarond the net & came across a design i have never seen before, it is quite cheap but i am not sure if the cheapness means its shady & not worth going for.

LINK TO GUITAR - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Resona ... 286.c0.m14

as i am no genius on these things could someone please have a look & tell me there view on it & if its worth going for etc etc.

I have never seen this kinda design, if you have seen it before please let me know where etc......

thanks in advance........ :)
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Re: views on this guitar

Postby zhyla » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:54 pm

farmaz wrote:go for a solid body one.

A what? I don't really understand what you're saying is different between those two guitars.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I like the look of the Tanglewood. It's a biscuit bridge so theoretically it would be better for blues.
If you want more sustain for Ry Cooder type stuff go for the other one, it's a spider.
They may both have inferior cones but you can always upgrade to a National cone.
That Tanglewood sure looks pretty. Hope it sounds as good as it looks! :D
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:29 am

I would go with a biscuit cone over a spider any day, but that's just me.

As for a solid body reso... I suppose you mean solid wood body?

As for that Tanglewood, it looks absolutely identical (apart from the added electronics) to my Epi Biscuit. I love my Epi. The only thing that bothers me is the spacing on the fretboard. It's very narrow. Neither of those guitars have solid wood bodies though. They are all laminate.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby diamond » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am

Hey Farmaz!

Give me a call at the office (phone number's on our website), i'm just up the road from you and i can maybe give you a few pointers & places to try on your choices :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.

Diamond Bottlenecks in sunny but cold Bromsgrove!!!
diamond
Regular

Postby farmaz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:47 pm

what i mean by a solid body is a metal one as most resonators as far as i have allways known have been metal, a few reso's i have seen have been wood & i was told that metal ones were better for quality etc etc.

i hope this is a bit more clear

@ DIAMOND

you sell these type of guitar?........whats your website etc please.

thanks in advance.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby diamond » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Hiya farmaz,

We don't actually sell guitars, but we do know a lot of folks who do :wink: ...http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:33 pm

farmaz wrote:what i mean by a solid body is a metal one as most resonators as far as i have allways known have been metal, a few reso's i have seen have been wood & i was told that metal ones were better for quality etc etc.

Ahhhhh, okay. Wood vs. metal is pretty much just going to come down to preference. I prefer metal to wood, but I still like my wood bodied reso. IMO, the wood bodies make the guitar sound a little less raunchy, more smooth and not as loud. That's based on my experience. The metal bodies also sound more "tin can" like so to speak. They sound a lot more plinky, which is what I like.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 pm

My first reso was a Johnson "Chicago Blues." It was a decent cheap spider reso. After I traded it off I missed it, though I have a (metal bodied) Tricone. So I bought another cheap wood bodied spider, from Musicians Friend, a Rogue Spider. I'd like to have a biscuit to go with the others. They all have their own unique sounds. One's not "better for the blues" than another, just different.
ricochet
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:41 pm

I've got a National Style O which is a brass bodied biscuit bridge type and a Goldtone signature series cutaway which is a wood bodied spider bridge type.
They both have different qualities but both sound great for the blues.
Mind you even non reso guitars can sound fantastic with a slide.
The main problem with cheap resos is lack of volume but with a cone upgrade and a bit of tweaking this is often easily overcome, although personally I'd rather pay a little bit more and play them straight out of the box.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby oldman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

l am new here l joined because l found no other forums or much info on these faux resos. l have just purchased one and l play slide . l have played slide on a large variety of guitars as l was a dealer of vintage instruments and we also restored them . l found it a very interesting sound and unique. l just read the about the cheap resos on here . before l retired from the business were my speciality and l found that theres more you can do with a reso than a regular guitar to change tone and loudness . l have done over taks and a mirade of other makes and made them more bass ,louder softer ect. theres lots of tricks like inlay into a saddle different materials to enhance a single string or strings.
oldman
Regular

Postby oldman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:35 pm

l just got delivery of mine which is a peg head. its date is 1936 a year younger then me .did some tweaking and a set of klusons and it surprised the hell out of me. this one says martello on the peg head and is marked inside from harmony all birch with a hard maple neck .
oldman
Regular

Return to Guitar