Looks like I'm Playing Bass again.

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Looks like I'm Playing Bass again.

Postby BobHolland » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:26 pm

After a few months off after my partner's death looks like I'm playing music again.
Got a call from a Country Band needing a Bass Player.
Been a while since I played Country Music. It pays some money & I really need the extra income.
Most of the bands that called me were young, real young. When they found out I was 60 it was over.
This band ranges for 20 to me at 60 years old. I don't have a problem with age but the younger guys sure did. Country Music is not my favorite because Blues will always be my #1. I feel like I'm cheating on my #1 love of Blues. I really like all kinds of music & have played in most styles. Old Country seems to be their song list. Waylon, Merle, George Jones, etc. some Southern Rock, Classic Rock & a couple or 3 Blues songs.
So far it seems to be a lot of fun. People make the difference if they are having fun no matter what the style. Maybe this is what I'm supposed to be doing, I just don't know anymore. Coming out of a Duo & now a 5 piece band is a little strange. I think that I'm gonna be alright after all. :wha:
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Re: Looks like I'm Playing Bass again.

Postby jeffl » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:59 pm

Way to get back in the saddle though, Bob! I've always counselled people to look for good challenges after experiencing a bout of adversity; God ain't gonna stiff ya' on this one. At least if you're out there playing, you'll get some exposure and it may lead to other things. Best wishes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

That's cool, that you're back up and running.

You remind me that I don't get asked to join punk groups...the bands I see around here, I'm the same age as any three of their members. Old ain't dead.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Played our first gig last night. It went OK & got a little money. A lot less than what I used to get. I thought the guitar player was 20, but found out he was 18. His friend, the drummer, is also 18. The bar owner didn't ask for their ID's. Around here it's 21 or you're out. A lot of wrong chords, tempos & drum beats but no serious train wrecks. I'm having to keep my comments to myself for now. If the band leader asks I'll give him my opinion. The crowd had a good time & the bar owner asked us back. So I guess it was a good night.
BOB :D
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Fortunately I have some friends around here about my age, and we regularly get together and play. We may be past full-time gigging, but we can crank out the wrong chords and missed beats with the best of the kids.

Glad you're playing.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Didn't mean to be critical of anyone. I make my share of mistakes. But it was obvious that a couple of the guys haven't really been listening to the songs they knew we would be playing.
BOB :wha: :blink:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:50 pm

BobHolland wrote:Played our first gig last night. It went OK & got a little money. A lot less than what I used to get. I thought the guitar player was 20, but found out he was 18. His friend, the drummer, is also 18. The bar owner didn't ask for their ID's. Around here it's 21 or you're out. A lot of wrong chords, tempos & drum beats but no serious train wrecks. I'm having to keep my comments to myself for now. If the band leader asks I'll give him my opinion. The crowd had a good time & the bar owner asked us back. So I guess it was a good night.
BOB :D

Hang in there Bob. It may not take too much time to get it all smoothed out. I'm shocked at how fast young guys learn, especially since I sure as heck don't learn that fast anymore. You've got a good role to play, mentoring those youngsters. I'll tell ya', I learned a ton from a couple older players when I was around 20 years old.... one bass player in particular who was about 14 years older than me... he taught me alot about listening while playing, and about communicating on stage. He reigned me in and settled me down during a tune on more than one occasion.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 am

I know this has been dormant for awhile, but I have to say, that of all the instruments I play, bass is the most therapeutic. I connect with the soul of the music in a way I don't with Dobro, electric or harmonica. I may modestly state that I have gigged professionally with all of these -- but the test is not what hot licks I play on my 335 or my Blues Harp, but how I make those butts swing out on the dance floor.

Good bass is heaven on earth.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Update: Well, we're down to 4 piece now. One guitar player left the group. It sounds better & not as cluttered. Two guitar players playing the same thing was just too much. We got some more gigs in Nov., Dec. & Jan. The groove ain't happening yet, but it's coming along. I come from a R&B, Soul, Blues background & believe that even Country Music needs to have a groove & swing at times. :D :D
OLD BOB "The Bass Player"
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:14 pm

BobHolland wrote:Update: Well, we're down to 4 piece now. One guitar player left the group. It sounds better & not as cluttered. Two guitar players playing the same thing was just too much. We got some more gigs in Nov., Dec. & Jan. The groove ain't happening yet, but it's coming along. I come from a R&B, Soul, Blues background & believe that even Country Music needs to have a groove & swing at times. :D :D
OLD BOB "The Bass Player"

At times? ALL the time! Our C&W band prided itself on getting people up and dancing.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:34 pm

I believe your are right.
BOB :lol: :lol:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby Blind Doc Jones » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:54 am

Hey Bob, one bass player to another: No matter what you are thinking, keep it to yourself! That is the best bass player advice there is.

The only other thing I would say is never hit on the guitar players girlfriend!
Blind Doc Jones
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:12 pm

Doc, I think I have already said too, too much.
I'll just go back to my little area just left of the drummer in the corner & be quiet.
I play Bass.
BOB 8)
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 pm

Nobody on the stage notices the bass player until he screws up.

Nobody on the dance floor hears anything but the bass.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:53 pm

:wha: :wha: :blink: :blink: :arrow: :roll: 8) :lol: :P :wink: :!: :?:
BobHolland
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom