HOW IT'S MADE #6 Assembly

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

HOW IT'S MADE #6 Assembly

Postby VintageNats » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-Y7ltAnC0

Hi All,
Well, here's the next installment, #6. I go thru the assembly dept and show the neck install and final finishing.
Still have 4, 7 and 8 to go.
Enjoy, Len
VintageNats
Regular

Re: HOW IT'S MADE #6 Assembly

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Good to watch, as usual! Also, that guy working on the uke seemed real friendly. haha
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:21 am

Again....excellent

Thanks again Len!
tinsmith
Regular

Postby Slim_Jones » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 am

Awesome, thanks again!!
Slim_Jones
Regular

Postby neangler » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Len,

Another great one.

This installment is particularly interesting because you asked a couple of workers how long it takes to do their operations on the guitars. Even though these are (mostly) metal-bodied instruments, the process is pretty painstaking; they're not just slapped together.

Seeing what's involved in making them, they no longer seem quite so expensive, know what i mean?
neangler
Regular

Postby Slim_Jones » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:11 am

Another amazingly highly super duper important thing: We collect intelligence about the music they hear at National.
So far I heard Hotel California and Zombie (Cranberries). It's like working in a candy shop - you have to eat something salty all the time :twisted:
Slim_Jones
Regular

Postby VintageNats » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi all, and thanks for the good words. Yes, you can see how meticulous they are about building them, every last pit in the solder removed, it's really tedious to get them near perfect, which is why they are higher priced than many. Nothing leaves there w any issues, even a tiny pit or the slightest imperfection will make them into a #2, or factory second.
As for the music, pretty funny, I'd have expected some more blues, hawaiian, or resonator music in general. Problem is, outside of a couple guys, most are young guys who probably aren't as into that as I would be. Mostly just radio rock where ever I ended up. The Salty snacks comment is on the money.

I have to go up again this week and collect more woodworking, neck building to flesh out #4. I just am not happy w the amount I have for it. (hopefully I can find the same shirt!) I'll finish up 7 and 8 w a great ( i hope) in depth interview w Don Young about his and the company's past, and #8 be an overview w some outtakes (got don pretty good on one, he doesn't know it yet) and a visitor from Australia that played some hot blues on a new DON model. Gonna be another week but I'll be glad when it's finished. Again, thanks for all the nice comments, glad you liked em and I'm happy bringing them to you. I have read all the comments on the various links, but didn't want to seem like I was bumping those threads up so let me just say thanks to all who've commented, I've read them all and appreciate them. Makes it feel like it was all worthwhile.

I'm just about to become a full on Republic dealer and carry all those models, along w a surprise or two. May have to bug Frank into letting me take a trip down to TEXAS for some further insights if he'll let me.
Best, Lenny
VintageNats
Regular

Postby snakehips » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Uncle Len !

Don't forget to pick up that GS Style 1.5 Tricone for me !!!!!

Excellent informative videos by the way.
snakehips
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Snaky, your Scottish, right? Where in Jockland are you? Jakey's lurking in Glasgow, FFMacteeth's Dundee/Aberdeen way.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby snakehips » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi there !

I'm in Edinburgh. Coming down to Colne on the English Bank Holiday weekend for the Colne Great British R&B Festival.
Got two gigs with my bandmate as our Duo "Mud In Your Ear" -

- just in case you will be anywhere close.

I know Dundee well enough though as I spent 8 years there as a student (all of 12 years ago).
Go back up there every year for gigs at the Dundee Blues Bonanza.
snakehips
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Bugger! Cockuperrorredofromstartreporterrorbellybumdrawers
Last edited by maxx england on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 pm

Edinburgh, you say? Hmmm... You wouldn't know these herberts would you? Say hello from everybody here to Houndog, the bass player if you run across them, especially from a cider drinking slide player.

http://www.youtube.com/THEFABULOUSCORVETTES
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby snakehips » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi again !

I haven't seen the band but I know Houndog a little bit.

Houndog is one COOL dude !
He can wear a hat better than anyone else I have ever met. Damn cool !

Bass player ? He plays some pretty good guitar (+slide) - I'm more familiar with him doing that.

Actually, I've still got a book he lent me.
Don't worry Houndog - I've got it safe !
snakehips
Regular

Return to Guitar