what melal guitar???? kidding me?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

what melal guitar???? kidding me?

Postby multisounds » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm sick and tired of people pigeon holing electric guitar brands to suit their own particulat tastes. I was on this 2 famous tab sites and I read heaps of their comments on tele, strat, gibsons etc etc. The concenses I got from their remarks which really angered me was they say "tele can't do metal" What the fffffffkkkkkkkkk. Of course it can do metal and it's proven to be the most versatile guitar there is. And one other commented "strat can't do metal either" cuz it has a tingy sound.

I'd say wrong :x All you need is a tube screamer or a distortion pedal and that's it. These so called expert guys reckon if you're gonna play metal discard tele and strat and get Ibanez or epiphone instead. What a joke. :cry:

There is something that they haven't mentioned that I think is the crux of these superficial statements and I've worked it out. It is simply this. It's not about the guitar or the sound it produces but what they lacked to mention was that over many generations of music making, people have ascribed various guitars that reflect their personalities and characters-nothing else.

For example if you look like a "hard rocker" then they'll say you should have a gibson, of you look like a folk singer they say you should have an acoustic-lol. And if you look like a blues/jazz character you should have a tele??? Or a glam rocker should have a flying V????? How wrong are they??? It's all personal bias founded on no substance. By the way I tried to tell them that I'm doing alot of "heavy stuff" on a tele and they said it won't sound like Jimmy Page :x :cry: :roll: I tried to tell them otherwise but they won't budge. I think it's a secret hatdcore society some of these music expertise sitesl. :D

So folks, I hope you agree with me. Guitar is a guitar, a guitar of any brand can play any genre of music. So long live tele and strat! And for that matter all and every brand!

cheers
Multi :lol:
multisounds
Regular

Re: what melal guitar???? kidding me?

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:17 pm

To some extent I agree with you but I'm not a big metal head.
Certainly wouldn't get into some discussion with meatl heads on guitars cuz from my perception to be a metal guitar its got to be pretty damn Fugly.
Gaudy body shapes & headstocks with awful paint jobs is what makes a metal guitar, we know that. :mrgreen:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Big difference to me is the neck--a metal shredder prefers a skinny neck and low action great for speed but bad for chords or bends-Ibanez Wizard, Jackson etc are for my hands, way to skinny for blues
And yeah I do play a tele most of the time
goldbrick
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Take a deep breath.

multisounds wrote:Of course it can do metal and it's proven to be the most versatile guitar there is.

Tch, says you.

(I've been guilty of the above a few times...)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Rusty I am guilty also :lol:
birddog
Regular

Postby Crossfire » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 pm

From What I understand, Jimmy Page recorded LEd Zeppelin I on a tele.
Crossfire
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am

I've played plenty of rock gigs with a tele and many country gigs with a flying V. I tend towards the V more these days than my Paul because as I age, I like a lighter guitar for longer stand up gigs. They scowl at the country gigs until I plug in and get all bendy and twangy. A fellow named King comes to mind who played a *lot* of blues with a V as well...

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:07 pm

That's the fact jack! Don't tell me I can't play blues or anything else on my 2 V's. As for my LP's, the R4 with the baseball bat neck, and the Pro with a slim 60's neck, I can bend, chord, vibrato, etc. just as well on any of them. It's not the guitar, it's the hands that do the talkin' ya'll! I can do metal on any guitar as well. It's a simple 'thang to crank up the Marshall. No matter with P90's or HB's I can have metal mayhem barkin' from the amp like a rabid rottweiller in heat!

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

I'd still like to have a V, but if NRP's going to make bright red Tricones...
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:55 pm

Nurse! Nurse! The screens! Quickly, he's having those fantasies again!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 pm

I think most metal heads think there is more to metal than a tube screamer. I don't really categorize guitars like you're describing some people do, but you're not making a convincing argument against it. Might as well say "nuh-aaaahhhhhhh".
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby thunda1216 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 am

zhyla wrote:I think most metal heads think there is more to metal than a tube screamer. I don't really categorize guitars like you're describing some people do, but you're not making a convincing argument against it. Might as well say "nuh-aaaahhhhhhh".

8) Yeah, I don't think it is the tube screamer. I think it is a nice loud solid state amp with nice square wave distortion, sorta buzz saw like. The tube screamer has asymmetrical clipping - too smooth...

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

When I was playing metal, it was a BC Rich Warlock through a Proco Rat into a Laney stack. Our other guitarist played an Ibanez, which was really popular for metal guitars around here. Used to see a lot of Charvel strat knock-offs and Jacksons, too.

My SG is as comfortable playing Sabbath as it is playing Billy G licks.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Guitar clown! I really haven't seen many of those since the eighties!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 am

Yeah, I don't think it is the tube screamer. I think it is a nice loud solid state amp with nice square wave distortion, sorta buzz saw like. The tube screamer has asymmetrical clipping - too smooth...

The trend right now is to use the screamer to warm up the solid state clipping. It actually works really well. It was awesome with my Randall.

I go through my metal phases every now and again. I love heavy music. Stoner rock Sabbath inspired bands like Corrosion of Conformity and Down do it for me. 80s-90s was all about Megadeth and Pantera for me. I love a lot of the newer bands like Trivium, Shadowsfall, etc are also great.

Do they fit the stereotype? The stoner rock bands don't. They play whatever. The newer heavier bands do. You can bet that most of them are playing Dean or Ibanez. I'm sorry - those guitars were made for that and both of those brands THRIVE on that stereotype. If you hear a technically proficient band like Trivium - you can bet its a Dean or Ibanez. They are functional guitars - Deans are a bit cheesier. I think Ibanez is going for the more stripped down metal machines and less on the flashy paint jobs. Deans are all over the place and Dime started the whole damn thing.

Its all about the marketing.

BTW, James Root from Slipknot and Stone Sour plays a tele as well.
bignick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar