Wedding gigs ??

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Wedding gigs ??

Postby mannish » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 am

I got called to do a wedding reception with my acoustic trio. I know that for some reason (??) musicians jack up their price on weddings and similar. I did not jack up my price. I figure fairly easy (daytime) two set gig with good food. Plus my Marine son gets married this weekend so I know about the cost and did not want to gouge the couple.

Do you guys jack up your price on weddings just curious
mannish
Regular

Re: Wedding gigs ??

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:30 am

I've played a few weddings through the years.

Generally, I was offered a price above what I would have asked for, so I didn't negotiate.

The occasional wedding is fun. Being a wedding band? Not me.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mannish » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 pm

I am not real comfortable playing a wedding reception - sure it pays good and is 'easy'. However I don't see the type of music we play as being wedding reception music. They have heard of us and know what we do and checked some references. I explained we do not play ANY Motown, country, pop/rock just upbeat blues - they said that is what they want. I am just not convinced that the attendees at this upscale joint is gonna dig the blues.
mannish
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Well, I bet it's a good time for all.

We had Madrigals and Barbershop at our reception. Generic is BORING!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby CrimsonLake » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm

We hired a bar band that my wife and her friends used to follow for our wedding (20 years ago!). It still gets talked about as one of the most memorable, fun weddings amongst friends and family. They weren't a wedding band, so they played what they usually played. I don't get the whole DJ thing these days... every event is exactly the same when it comes to music - weddings, school dances, you name it.
CrimsonLake
Regular

Postby chick french » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:20 pm

mannish wrote:I am not real comfortable playing a wedding reception - sure it pays good and is 'easy'. However I don't see the type of music we play as being wedding reception music. They have heard of us and know what we do and checked some references. I explained we do not play ANY Motown, country, pop/rock just upbeat blues - they said that is what they want. I am just not convinced that the attendees at this upscale joint is gonna dig the blues.

We just played a wedding rehearsal dinner last week. 4 piece made $1500...sweet. We played a little of everything. I live in Mississippi and would starve to death trying to play only blues jobs. I've kinda been out of the music scene until recently but nothing has changed...very few blues clubs and even if they wanna call themselves a blues club around here, you got the same bunch of idiot club goers that wouldn't know blues if they stepped in it! "Hey, ya'll do any Eric Clapton or Skennard"?....hmmm, let me think....NO!
chick french
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 pm

FREE BIRRRD!!!
ricochet
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:44 am

:P Heck, around here (Middle Tennessee) they wanna hear all George Jones all the time! Free Bird would be nice to play for a change! Still, when I play weddings (and private parties), the pay is much better than the bars, you get fed, booze if ya want it, and the folks there don't shoot each other; they actually dance, clap, have a great time and help you tote your stuff!

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby jesscrane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:03 am

thunda1216 wrote:Free Bird would be nice to play for a change!

It absolutely would be nice to hear Free Bird for a change!
Last edited by rustyslide on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I hate squinting- full size quoted text, please. :)
jesscrane
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:42 pm

we invited a bunch of friends/musicians and had a jam session on our wedding...
jaybee
Regular

Postby ABeautifulTomorrow » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Sorry for the late response, folks, but I'm the main vocalist in my band (Action Cat). Anyway, my band mostly does bar gigs, but we've been called upon to do a rockabilly like wedding. Just wanted to come on here to thank you folks graciously for providing this advice; because honestly, I wasn't sure what I was going to charge. We didn't want to overcharge them, but we also wanted to take into consideration that this was a somewhat formal event and different than most. Either way, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to come back and let you folks know how it went. Glad to be here! :D
ABeautifulTomorrow
Regular

Return to About Gigs