pickups

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

pickups

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 am

Alright guys , need some advice . Been giging with strats for thirty yrs , so humbuckers are not my thing . Just picked up a Sheraton , real cheap , but don't know about the pickups . Was told that there Gibsons , but I don't know . Sounds ok, but not sure what they are . If I do replace them , any suggestions ?
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Re: pickups

Postby Alton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:23 am

Lots of choices! I have an old Electra X410(?) semi-hollow and I need to replace the pickups. With everything I've seen and heard so far I think I'm going to put in the Seymour Duncan '59s. Since your your tastes are probably different than mine I'll explain.

First I am first and foremost a humbucker fan. Next I want the drive that a good humbucker will provide but without the typical associated mud (too much messy bass). Like single coils you can get humbuckers with high or low output. The best tones, to my ears, typically come from low to low-mid output humbuckers. I've had the DiMarzio P.A.F. and PAFPro and they were indeed good pickups. The Duncan's seem to offer a bit more clarity while still giving me that rich humbucker sound.

Here's a link to the Duncan humbucker page: http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... humbucker/

Since you're a single coil fan you may want to consider the the P-90 or Soapbar pickup. Many mfrs. including Duncan make a P-90 in the size that will fit a humbucker cutout in your guitar. If you have played P-90s think of them as a FAT, overwound Texas Special single coil. If you like a pickup that bites, snarls and growls then you'll like the P-90s. Just make sure to adjust them as close to your strings as possible.

One more suggestion, before you go changing out pickups you might want to just change out your volume and tone pots first. It's amazing how much of a difference this will make in the sound of an Epiphone or other imported guitars. Get some CTS pots from Mojotone in the appropriate values (500k audio taper pots are typical). And put in some new caps while you're at it. You'll save lots of money and improve the sound. You might find out that you don't need new pickups after all. Here's a link to the CTS pots at Mojotone: http://www.mojotone.com/CTS Take the time to talk to a tech at Mojotone and he can help you sort out what pots you'll need. Threaded shaft length and diameter will be important for a good retrofit.

If you want to experiment with different parts and pickups without going into debt then you might want to look into GFS pickups and parts. ALL their stuff is imported and inexpensive compared to Duncans, DiMarzios and others. Here's a link to GFS: http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html

I am not connected to any of the above sites or stores. Just a happy customer.
Alton
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:16 pm

I agree with you . Nothing like a P-90 sound . Thanks for your imput .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby savage » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:38 am

Check out the TV Jones pickups. They got a few different models, but they seem to have a lotta versatility...(sp?) Their page has some sound samples, but youd be better off listenin to em on youtube in my opnion.
savage
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 pm

i've been more than happy with gfs PU's.for this price they're worth trying before anything else.here's a P90 in a humbucker sized housing : http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsme90altrp.html

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Here are three exquisite and unique sounding sets from Seymour Duncan :

P-Rails - Fits into HB mounting ring, Is a hot p-90 and a lil' skinny rail next to it, to make a Quiet, yet rude P-90. Very personal sound.

Pearly Gates - As the name implies, Billy Gibbon's sound ( if you practice)

Seth Lover (neck)/ Stag Mag (bridge)- The Seth Lover is unpotted, so it gets a lot of that hollowbody goodness seeping into the sound. The Stag mag is just plain rude, and will have people looking around for the 50's Tele. Stag mag also sounds incredibly good with .022 tone cap rolled back. I've installed this set in more than a few archtops, with great results.

Happy (Tone) Hunting,
Season's Greetings,

DRU
DRU LORE
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues