Chopping a cab

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Chopping a cab

Postby maxx england » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm going to cut a 2 x 12" cab with G12-80 Celestions in, from memory they're wired in parallel. Anything I should know or do when running a singe speaker? The cab's fine, but my back isn't, and I want to use the Phoenix for the blues stuff. The community band needs a cleaner sound and a bit of reverb, so I'm gratefully using the loaned Roland for playing mixed rock/soul-ish stuff at gigs with them, but like I said, the Phoenix has that edge for what I want to do with The Music.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Chopping a cab

Postby Alton » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 am

Not saying it will work for you but I picked up a Peavey 10" as part of another deal. It's collected a lot of dust over the years. I had to get up in the truss in the shop to get at another item and I came across the Peavey again. Since I was already in the process of building a cab for an amp I figured "what the heck!" I had enough scrap 1x12" so I built a cab for the Peavey too. It sounds pretty good. I need to cover the cab yet and add a grill for the speaker but I'm happy with the way it sounds.

Oh! One thing that caught me on another project was to make sure your output impedance matches the speaker impedance so you won't have any last minute surprises!
Alton
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06 am

The amp will supply speakers between 4 and 16 ohms, one speaker on it's own is 8, so I see no problems. Do I have to worry about polarity, centre of jack to one terminal or the other, or is it irrelevant?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Alton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:31 am

Typically you want the speaker to move forward when you first pluck the string. It won't harm the amp or the speaker whichever way you wire it up but you might think the amp sounds "off" or slightly weird if it's wired backwards. No problem. If it does sound "off" then simply switch the connections to the speaker. Which ever way sounds the best is the right way for you.
Alton
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Done it, works a treat. It's still a heavy lump, but it's a damn sight easier to shift than the twin speaker cab. 2 cheap door/gate handles, fixed off centre allow me to invert the cab with a tilt upwards courtesy of the offset, a grille has been found and the box will be covered in this thin turquoise blue carpet I've got in a cupboard.

Classy. All I have to do now is get good. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues