Shortscale basses and the blues.

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Shortscale basses and the blues.

Postby Blues7Ways » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 pm

I just decided recently that I want to play the Bass in a significant way.
I'm on a very limited budget and just need a basic bass to go out to some jam nights.

I've tried out some basses, and the one that i feel most comfortable with is the gretsch junior jet(shortscale), It sounds great to me, and its only $244.

Will a shortscale bass cut it in the blues?
I know most play P basses, is that the standard?
Blues7Ways
Regular

Re: Shortscale basses and the blues.

Postby multisounds » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:04 am

Will a shortscale bass cut it in the blues?
I know most play P basses, is that the standard?

Hi Blues,

Ofcourse short scale bass will cut it good for the blues. P and jazz bass by fender are great basses each to their own right and they are sort after because of their sound and the reputation they have over the years. Some of the great blues/jazz/pop bassists use many brands apart from fender; like warwick, Ibanez, yamaha and even gibson. I especially enjoy the shortscale bass because I feel I'm close to the action all the time.

An underestimated brand you should check out is "CRAFTER". They make both acoustic and shortscale basses. I tried them just yesterday and they sound FAB!!

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:08 am

I usually don't play a slab bass but when I do my Horner, Stienberger copy, short scale is great. I can play and dance around because it is so small and light with a nice tight, punchy sound. My Fender jazz seldom gets used anymore.
oleman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:47 pm

I have an old 30" scale Japanese tele bass copy. It's a lot of fun. I don't really have an opinion on what a blues bass should sound like but it seems to work fine. And though it looks solid it's actually hollow inside, so it's very light. I picked up my uncle's J bass a while back and ugh, it's like playing a tree.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby The Saint » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:14 pm

I thought about a short or medium scale bass for the build I'm doing, but after speaking to the players I respect, I'm going w/ 34" 4 string bass.
The Saint
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 pm

My first bass was a '72 Gibson EB-3. You could play Blues or even Reggae with that big humbucker at the neck, very deep sound. 8) That's sold, but I have an AXL acoustic with Fender tapewound strings on it, very easy to play bass, I use it to help figure out and learn new tunes. :wink:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom