Which one of these amps for harp ?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Which one of these amps for harp ?

Postby birddog » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:58 pm

A guy on another board posted these for sale. He's a first class act & very reputable.
I've heard good things about the Kazoo, bad timing for me as I had to write the IRS a check yesterday.
Thought I'd pass it along here if anybody's interested. For my future reference which one is better for harp in case I'm lucky enough to come by another in better times ?

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/u ... 3;t=006227

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/u ... 3;t=006224

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: Which one of these amps for harp ?

Postby jeffl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm plenty familiar with the Skylark (and you couldn't go wrong with that choice) , but not the other. Does the Model Two have more output...? The Skylark might be more limited in its use, due to its low output. Personally, I'd own the Skylark 'cuz the the top of the enclosure sticks up, thus keeping your beer from getting knocked over,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kingley » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:57 pm

No competition to me.
I'd go for the Kalamazoo. Truly a monster little harp amp! :)
kingley
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:21 pm

Having said those things, with older amps you never know what you got until you play through it. An amp can start out to be inexpensive, but if you have to replace caps, power cord, speaker, tubes, tranny, etc., the cost can climb inordinately. Vintage is cool alright, but I bought a Epiphone Valve Standard for my 5-watt amp and it runs circles around any other 5-watter I've played through, and it's a cheap piece of Chinese crap (build quality). Tube circuitry isn't aerospace engineering, so anybody can build classic tone circuitry. It was about $299,new, has an fx loop, (if a guitar player wants to run through it), extension jack, and was under warranty. Because of its large cabinet size (slightly LARGER than my Peavey Classic 30!), it's got bass response that you are not likely to find on Champs, Skylarks, Princetons, etc. I don't think Epi makes that amp anymore though. IMO you can trap yourself by seeking the stereotypical small amps, but there's no substitute for tryin' an amp out first... unless you're ponying up and buying a new Harpgear, Victoria, Sonny Jr., etc. Beware that 5-watters run outa headroom in band settings if you like some stage volume before you mic it. You can always turn it up in the monitors, but I like a little more volume comin' from behind me, for my own enjoyment if nothin' else.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:32 pm

they seem to have the same tube and speaker layout. i would imagine they would sound very similar,so i don't think either would be significantly better than the other.they might even use the same schematic.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:53 am

i really am not familiar with the gibson model there but with a single power tube, this amp is likely to be for live playing in a small room only.

greg heumann is a kalamazoo rehabber, i've heard good things about how he resolves issues with the model 2's and turns them into awesome harp amps for their size.
jbone1
Regular

Postby birddog » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah Jbone, if he's the one at Blowsmeaway.com I've seen that.
Do you use one of his volume controls by chance ?

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:15 pm

i don't own one but i did get to try one live at a jam. pretty cool.

i prefer a vc right on the mic so i had greg install me one on a mic early this year along with a transformer to up the impedance and a screw on connector.

you can trust what greg says.
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp