What do you use for reverb on a non-reverb amp ?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: What do you use for reverb on a non-reverb amp ?

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm clear bottleneck..thanks.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Bottleneck, you mis-understood.
I'm not building a bassman, I bought one on the bay. I worked but needed some new pots & needs new caps. With help of someone that has the technical expetise and the equipment,(lifelong friend) we are making some mods to it at the same time, mostly to the bass channel thats not guitar friendly anyhow. Hopefully we will "tweed" out that channel and while we are at it, I brought the head enclosure home and am stripping that, re-doing it in tweed to match the cab I got for it with a raised leather handle & oxblood grille cloth to match the head also.

Through this project I'm learning and already thinking about building an amp kit, this is getting highly addictive. But I will wait-n-see how this comes out, If its the Tone Monster I'm hoping maybe I'll be done.
I have learned a bunch doing all the research, actually building the stand alone reverb unit would be easier than most amp kits. :mrgreen:
I'll post a full photo layout of the amp process when its done.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 am

For all you Holy Grail users out there;

Do you get a NOTICABLE volume drop when the grail is engaged? I do, and I wonder if this is normal. thx.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby birddog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Mississippi John wrote:For all you Holy Grail users out there;

Do you get a NOTICABLE volume drop when the grail is engaged? I do, and I wonder if this is normal. thx.

John, I haven't heard that but I don't have one either.
I have heard on another board from more than one source that they are a tone sucker when off.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby profgalen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Bit-Mo offers a kit to turn a Epi Valve Jr. into a tube driven reverb unit. Looks interesting. probably a lot cheaper than $750
http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the ... NIT/Detail
profgalen
Regular

Postby Bluesrocker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Sorry to disagree, but when I was looking for a reverb for my Bluesbreaker I was continually told to buy the Holy Grail, that it was the greatest, so I bought it. Big mistake. Whether you had it on Hall or Plate, it sounded too digital. The "flerb" effect was useless trash. You couldn't control the decay, either, it just went on and on, really annoying. Also, you can't use a battery in that thing, just the ac adaptor which is made just for the Grail, you can't use any other ac adaptor off the rack, so watch out. Big waste of money.
Bluesrocker
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 am

profgalen wrote:Bit-Mo offers a kit to turn a Epi Valve Jr. into a tube driven reverb unit. Looks interesting. probably a lot cheaper than $750
http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the ... NIT/Detail

I wouldn't mind given one of those a try. Could be fun.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby TheDude » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:05 pm

You know Boss have a new pedal which is a copy of the Fender reverb unit. It's called the FRV-1 and from the clips on youtube I'd say it sounds pretty good.

Probably not as warm and lush as the real deal, but then it only costs a fraction of a real Fender reverb. Plus it's a lot smaller/lighter to carry around.
TheDude
Regular

Postby sweetness » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 pm

I use the Pro Jr, which has no reverb. I posted earlier that I use the Corned Beef. Recently I bought a used Holy Grail. I found out, as someone here noted, that it doesn't take a battery, and you have to use their proprietary wall wart (though I've heard the 1Spot works with it).

Anyway, I got the wall wart, and I'm enjoying its sounds. I haven't tried it out yet, though. I keep it on the spring setting about 1/4 of the way up. YMMV.
sweetness
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Here's a great trick for any 2 channel amp without reverb.
Pick the deepest sounding channel and plug your guitar in.
Use a cable from the second jack of that same channel to a reverb/ delay unit of your choice.
Come back out of the effect into the second, bright, channel of your amp.

This allows several cool things to happen:

-You can blend WET and DRY signals using the channel volume controls. This makes your amp have a bigger presence in the aural soundstage of the listener.
The dry signal is an "advancing" sound, keeping your guitar at the "front", whilst the Wet (echo,reverb) signal fills the periphery, creating an illusion of space . By blending wet and dry you will never fade into the back of a band's sound.
- Since you are BLENDNG the sounds, cheesier (and less expensive) delay/ reverb units can be used, and used harder, since they will be mixed with a warm dry sound. I've found that by using this technique I got great overall sounds from the amp, using effects which I did not like by themselves when they were
simply run inline with the guitar to a single channel.

I've had great results with the Alesis Microverb and Microverb II using this technique.

Season's best,
DRU
DRU LORE
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:02 am

This is exactly why I use two amplifiers. I have a Fender Super Reverb and JTM45 Clone Combo. But seriously I prefer a light touch of analog delay over reverb anyday.
stratman_27
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues