Suzuki Pure Harp- first impressions

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Suzuki Pure Harp- first impressions

Postby jbone1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:14 am

i just got one of these in the mail today. ordered from rockin' ron's out of ny state, it was here in 2 days' time. that's good! free shipping always a nice bonus.

the harp itself came in a plastic box similar to say a delta frost box, but that's where similarities end. this is one well done instrument. it features both rosewood comb and covers and suzuki's phosphor bronze reeds. very appealing to the eye and that's just the beginning: it's a bit smaller than say a lee oskar and the holes are just a bit smaller, but the couple of hours i've spent playing it show that there is no problem getting individual notes. response is wonderful. tone is warm and mellow. volume is some less than other harps i use but not by much at all. i got one in key of G, which i do a lot of 3rd position in. for both single notes and octave tongue block stuff, this harp is a dream from bottom to top of the register.

i'll be putting this harp through more rigorous paces in coming days on at least one stage and maybe 2 or 3.
jbone1
Regular

Re: Suzuki Pure Harp- first impressions

Postby jeffl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Give us an update jbone. Do you normally play wood combed harps?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:02 pm

are you noticing more overtones?wood covers sure sound like an interesting idea.that free shipping at rockin' ron's seems interesting too!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:06 pm

I'd be curious about a comparison of the wood covers with the plastic Turbo Lids. Of course, with the price difference, they are going for a different market for sure.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:23 am

I like the Suzuki harps and play mostly the Blues Masters. I have some of their Overdrive harps too which are cool sounding but somewhat difficult to play due to their very small size (and I don't have big hands).

I purchased one of the Fire Breath Harps about a year ago. I believe it is identical to the Pure Harp except it has metal cover plates instead of wood. Within 5 minutes of playin it I sliced open my lip. Upon further inspection I noticed on each front corner, of the top reed plate, there were sharp notches cut into the plate. The top metal cover plate did not fully cover these sharp notches and therefore they were dangerously exposed. I had to remove the cover plates and file away these sharp notches before the harp was playable.

It is a nice sounding harp but I don't think the price is justified..... AND for $70 one shouldn't have to fix a harp to make it safe for playing :?
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 am

i played the heck out of this harp over 4 days we spent in clarksdale mississippi. at jams and at our open mic deal we did for 2 nights. it performed flawlessly, no stalling or squealing. it's in G and i used it a lot in 3rd position on several songs we do and on some stuff i hadn't tried it on as yet.

it has a warmer tone, more mellow, a lot of body to the sound. its smaller size and wood covers make for less overall volume but it was great through both my harp rigs and through the p.a. really just a joy to play.

compared to a turbolid, well, bends are real easy on both. since the turbolid only fits sp20, it's not a fair comparison. both can definitely sound great. one similarity, since the pure harp has no side vents and is a bit smaller, it can be cupped really tight, sort of similar to a turbo.

Brendan Power says in his videos on the Pure and Fire Breath that the metal lid produces more sound. i believe that. but the warmer tone of this harp is what i wanted. as far as sharp edges, there are none on the pure. no issues of any kind that i can recall.

my opinion is, and this is with the disclaimer that i never buy high end harps, this harp is an excellent addition to a blues player's arsenal esp for 3rd position stuff. i may be getting another one when i can afford it though, i'd like to see how a D would sound in 2nd and 3rd!

next week or so i am hoping to get both a bluesmaster and a manji ordered. stay tuned for my impressions of both of them.

i think suzuki has definitely done its homework on their reeds and plates.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 pm

thanks for the review!
my favorite suzuki is the harp master,although i do own a firebreath and several pro masters.i am looking forward to trying the manji at some point.
ultimately i would like a firebreath comb with harpmaster coverplates.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Blues Harp