The Swanage thread

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

The Swanage thread

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 pm

So Maxx, I can comp a bit of blues bass, but im not proficient really.

Im emailing the auberge today, as far as security, I haven't sorted it yet. Maybe on the nights when Im out and about, if I could stash the banjo and harps at your place, that would be cool.

Stomphouse have an electric set, with Davey playing guitar, Kev on drums and me playing guitar or harp and singing, we got a good hour of material, but we are also working up an acoustic set with Kev moving to second guitar and me switching to banjo occasional. So we are getting some demos down and we will be annoying the fuck out of festival promoters up and down the country.

Are Clive and Marco coming this time, or are you gone solo?

Throw me some numbers you are planning to do, Ill make sure Im up to scratch with them.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Re: The Swanage thread

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Marko yes, Clive, not unless he gets a pass out from his own personal dragon. Numbers - been starting to faff about with King Bee in E, but something so apparently simple demands quite good understanding between voice and player/s. Going Down (Freddie King inspired in E, take your key changes from the voice), Red House has morphed from the major scale "T-bone plays slide" into something harder in tone. Don't know, but I think it's my definitive electric slide voice. Everybody's fave for when they're so plastered they can't do anything else, Hey Joe (there's a mickey take jazz version me and Moss did, we called it Excuse Me, Joseph). Elmore/JB Hutto style 12 bar, and for the tin biscuit blowers of the world, I do that old Jimmy Reed/Eddie Taylor chug. Do you know the allegedly most popular 8 bar, It Hurts Me Too? And of course, any key 12 bar shuffle or chord vamping you want. Tonic groove, can you do Smokestack Lightnin?

What else? Rhythm & solo on Mustang Sally in C, we're rehearsing White Room in Dm/F, I can do Honky Tonk Women, usually in A, variety of "feels". Ever try it in waltz time? Gives the listener motion sickness :mrgreen:

There's an outside chance we might get Ciderman to come along, but he's at risk of going to Beer (Devon) Blues Festival the following w/e with his missis instead.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Nice, I can comp to most of them, one way or another. I've always got 'sky is crying/nine below zero' type songs which fit over most any shuffle.

Been playing Smokestack recently as well, and listening to it hurts me too a bit as well.

I'm still going to see Ernie's again this year, even if the crowd aren't into it. At least they arent likely to be waving around tambourines and deciding to join like last time I was there.. :evil:
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Oh yes, the tambourine woman. If I remember right, an audience member explained she was going to wear it internally if she didn't stop. And she did.

I can't remember, did you see the Fezhead hanging on to the pub when we left? Feeling no pain, none at all.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 pm

The Return Of Clive! In theory, he can make it after all. More later, am off now for jollification in East Anglia. Yes, it's a double negative, but you've got to give it a go. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 pm

maxx england wrote: More later, am off now for jollification in East Anglia. Yes, it's a double negative, but you've got to give it a go. :mrgreen:

Maybe the whiskey imbided may cause jolification?
Bournio
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:32 pm

We played on Thursday night, in the girls' changing room of a 6th form college. Unfortunately, due to an administrative oversight, there were no.....

Acoustics were brilliant, one tricone, one cheap guitar & amp. Really must invest in good recording gear. 8)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:08 pm

A week to go! A week to go! :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Clive definitely on, Jakey, definitely on. Most likely place of convergence with Great Marko (non player, but expedition film director) (geek with a video camera) is Red Lion on Friday pm for the open mic. Ciderman threatened a while ago to come down on Saturday night, will we see him?

Am booked to busk for the festival funds up by the railway station on Saturday, hoping I can get Jakey and/or Clive to sing while I abuse the guitar.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Im up for busking:

So:

Smokestack
It hurts me too
Big boss man?
The sky is crying?
Another man done gone?
Sitting on top of the hill?
Crow Jane?
Leaving blues?

Got anything in C or D or G or A I can fit the banjo to a 12 bar pattern there. Otherwise I'll sing and play harp.
Give me any other titles you want, ill pick up the lyrics tomorrow. Cant promise word perfect, but I'll get a couple verses and take it from there.
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:38 am

Smokestack
It hurts me too
Big boss man
The sky is crying?
Sitting on top of the hill?
Crow Jane?
Leaving blues?

It hurts me too: i-i-iv-iv-i-v-i-i, Clive does a stunted 12 bar I struggle to play, the correct pattern is too deeply embedded.

Keys, whatever you need, C# if you fancy it :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:43 pm

Jakey! Jakey! We're on the list!

The 3rd Swanage BLUES & ROOTS FESTIVAL – 2, 3, 4 October 2009

www.swanage-blues.org

CHANGES TO LINE-UP

Due to illness Jon Walsh’s Blues Band, Dirk Diggler’s Blues Revue, Chicago 9 and Jim Tigwell will not be appearing at this weekend’s Swanage Blues Festival. Our best wishes go out to the unfortunate individuals and to fellow band members who have had to pull out rather than put on a lesser performance. But the gaps have thankfully been filled by The Back Porch Band, The Rhythm & Blues Brothers and at the Open Mic, Martin Froud.

Not only that, but for the first time in our nine year history, there will be Busking on Swanage Railway Station, plus Pete Harris & Hugh Budden will be riding the rails and performing on the train on Sunday early afternoon, when you travel over to Corfe Castle to see Ernie’s Rhythm Section.

OPEN MIC SESSSIONS at the Red Lion

Martin Froud is looking forward to seeing all the regulars and some new faces. He says:

“Once again we're running an OPEN MIC at the Red Lion, Friday 2-5, Saturday 2-5, Sunday 1-4. It's been a very popular event for the last 3 years so make sure you come along and book a slot; it doesn't have to be Blues, we've had ballads, folk songs, country etc as well as a healthy dose of both acoustic and electric blues. There's even a spare guitar in case you forget yours! In previous years we've had a house band to kick things off. Unfortunately this year that won't be possible on the Friday, so any volunteers?”

You can email Martin direct on martin_froud@yahoo.co.uk

KENT DUCHAINE CONCERT

There are still some tickets left for the Kent Duchaine concert at Bar Se7en on Saturday 3 October, 7pm – 9pm. Please do not send money for tickets at this late stage. Tickets will be for sale on the door from 6.30pm on the evening.

SONNY BLACK at the Moonlight Bistro

There are still a few tables left for Sonny Black at the Moonlight Bistro on Friday and Saturday nights. The performances start at 7.30pm, so there’s plenty of time for you to have a meal, listen to some great music and then go out to join the crowds for the rest of the evening’s festivities. Reservations can be made on 01929 475615.

PROGRAMME or POSTER

If you need a copy of the programme or festival poster, please go to www.swanagelife.com where you can download copies free

OK, that’s about it for now!

Best Wishes,

Steve Darrington

www.stevedarrington.com
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:51 pm

Haha, aces!

For the weekend I am changing my name to Jakey Scotland!

Catch you at the lion Maxx, ill buzz you when Im up and about...
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 pm

We're back, full report in gigs thread, I think, once we've unpacked. But you shoulda seen us! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to HomeTown Blues