Bikes and Blues = the blues

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Bikes and Blues = the blues

Postby jaybee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 pm

last Saturday night we - the "all new" Bluezet - had to play our first gig. The bar owner booked us 'unheard' because he knows our drummer from a band he used to play in before. We've been "rehearsing" for the last 4 or 5 months = we get together on Wednesday evening, drinking beer, telling jokes and playing blues in my basement... all very NON-stress, just 3 middle aged guys having a fun night; We don't even LOOK for gigs, the bar owner asked the drummer if we wanted to come. So the last couple of weeks we rehearsed a little more focused, put together a setlist etc. last Wednesday "dress rehearsal" (no we do NOT play naked the rest of the time :roll: ) everything sounded fine, not a problem in sight

until Saturday morning... I get on my bike to come to the shop as I do every day and 5km later, I find myself sliding over the hard concrete - for those in doubt: NO it does NOT give in - calling my girlfriend to come and pick me up (well not literally, I WAS standing by the time I called)

in little more than 45 minutes I went from "no I don't need an ambulance, I'm not hurt" - passing "no you don't have to pass by the hospital, I'm alright, really" - to "my shoulder hurts like hell, could you drive me to ER, honey?"

so I calld the guys from ER that I wasn't going to be able to play... PANIC

they started calling trying to find a replacement band, and when that didn't work, calling "loose musicians" to come and jam - the bass player told his girlfriend she HAD to come sing... then they called me that they needed the small PA we use.

I knew they'd come and get it at my place if I insisted, but I told them "I'll come and set it up, if you guys carry everything from my car to the bar, or we'll be on the phone for an hour and then I'll have to drive over anyway"
got the whole thing set up, and then.. I got "the itch" so I told them if I could use a guitar and amp from one of the other guitar players, I'd try and do a song or 2... ended up sitting on a bar stool on stage (hey, if it's good enough for BB King...) doing one - extended - set instead of two sets... more than an hour before I hurt so bad, I couldn't ignore the call from my body for 'either more beer or a painkiller, preferably both'

the moral of the story?

no matter how sure you are the car is going to turn right, it can always swerve left, so don't try to overtake before it's good and well on it's way away from you 8)
jaybee
Regular

Re: Bikes and Blues = the blues

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:18 pm

It's Volvos in this country you have to watch out for. And it's no use trying to punch the driver if you survive the get off, his guide dog will bite you. :evil:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

What is the bike, anyway?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Moto Guzzi California 1100i

now that is NOT a tiny little moped, it's the size of a Daihatsu Cuore, but higher - when I got up the guy said "I didn't see you" I told him in that case he didn't even need to get glasses anymore, but should apply immediately for a white cane and a dog, he didn't get it
jaybee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:43 pm

California? If it helps, I'll look after it for you :mrgreen:

And yes, if he missed seeing something that big, you can only hope next time he does it to a 40 tonner. He might not see it, but he'll bloody well know about it! What are the accident laws and courts like in Belgium? Over here, it amounts to legalised murder, the inadequacy of the penalties for killing motorcyclists.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 am

they do like to aim at us ,don't they?

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:20 am

Hi JB,

If you can play with painkillers the shoulder's obviously not too bad - so on to the important question: How's the Cali? :D

Maka
Y2K Moto Guzzi Cali Jackal
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:18 am

windscreen shattered, lefthand mirror broken off and rear left "roll bar" (don't know how you call that in English) broken off at the points where it's attached to the bike

I'll get a new (second hand?) mirror and maybe screen (could ride without though), yake off the rear bars for now, and I'm good to go :) - when my GF heard this, she was going "you're not going to get back on that thing, are you?" she thought I'd go and sell it :roll: :roll:

(I almost made a "smart" remark about getting back on "things", but wisely kept it to me, can't defend myself with one arm 8) :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

I believe there's truth to the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" motto. It saved me from getting run over several times, made a deer stop about an inch short of bagging me at 75 MPH, and got me a lot more respect. When my Harley was quietly muffled, many people thought it was a Honda. :wha:
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:34 pm

ricochet wrote:I believe there's truth to the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" motto. It saved me from getting run over several times, made a deer stop about an inch short of bagging me at 75 MPH, and got me a lot more respect. When my Harley was quietly muffled, many people thought it was a Honda. :wha:
Bright colors too. Regardless of personal taste, it's hard to argue with the visibility of those bright yellow bikes. Those pulsating headlamps for daytime driving seem pretty effective too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't believe in high visibility. I used to until some idiot nearly ran me down on a petrol station forecourt. It was daytime and sunny, there were bright lights augmenting the daylight and I had a red and chrome motorcycle, with it's headlight on, underneath me and a dayglo jacket on me. From that point onwards, I took to wearing deliberate camouflage and low visibility colours and assuming I was invisible and the Blind Zombie Battallion was hunting me.

I still got fetched off once, a wuckfit pulled out in front of me (fortunately I was going dead slow in case this kind of thing happened at that junction). It turned out that his side window was so dirty he couldn't see through it, so instead of winding it down in order to see the world, he thought he'd "take a chance". It cost his insurance company £1,000+ for me and my damages, and whatever my solicitor charged.

Don't trust any of 'em, boys, they're all blind psychos.

More biker blues: the friend who was going to build my racer for next year is in the middle of a heavy domestic situation. I've located a second string bike that won't be as good, but at least I have a chance to get something out on track. Having said that, I'd much rather have the friend in a state of happiness than worry about racing; if you want to, you can always get out there in the cheap seats, you can't replace the good guys.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 pm

ricochet wrote: When my Harley was quietly muffled, many people thought it was a Honda. :wha:

I don't wish to be unkind, but there are many Europeans who confuse unsilenced Hardlys with that other American icon, the John Deere. And as an odd aside, I once saw a picture of a John Deere motorcycle. Does anyone know if they imported the Danish Nimbus bikes and repainted them?

And with that, I vote we adjourn to Way Off to continue this meander off the path.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 am

maxx england wrote:
I don't wish to be unkind, but there are many Europeans who confuse unsilenced Hardlys with that other American icon, the John Deere.

Is this the point to ask if they handle about the same?
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 am

Hey, I like two-cylinder John Deeres, too!
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:14 pm

No, no, no, you want one of these one lung wonders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1lxbel ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1RHDp_-fI

And Bournio, you ask about handling, are you about to become disreputable like us?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs