Big River blues - Literally!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Big River blues - Literally!

Postby flatpaul » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Just bought a Big River in C but it's got problems.

When I draw the 4 I hear a kinda metallic jingling sound. Sounds like the reed is vibrating on the reed plate but I'm not sure at all because I'm new to open harp surgery thing.

Took the cover plates off but don't really know to do next.

Any suggestions? Is it fixable? It's brand new - I would expect it to work...
flatpaul
Regular

Re: Big River blues - Literally!

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:47 pm

If nothin' else, take it back and get another one-- it's under warranty.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby flatpaul » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm

It was an Ebay purchase so I may be stuck with it...

If you buy one from a shop can you return it even it's been in your mouth?
flatpaul
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I haven't gotten a bad one for years (I play primarily sp20s) but I've always tried to buy mine from my local music store and I've taken a couple back over the years with no problem. I really don't remember the specific incidents, but I'm sure that I discovered the defects immediately and returned them within days of purchasing them. They have a warranty and they know that you won't discover the defect until you've played 'em, so they gotta take back "used" harps. I usually take 'em outa the case and play 'em before I even leave the store, so if there's a problem the guy standin' at the cash register finds out the same time as me. I tend to cycle my harps into the case, so they're usually broken in by the time I need to rely on 'em as a "1st teamer". I'm not as careful with the plastic combed sp20s as I am with my wooden combed harps.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:49 pm

check to see if the reed is aligned with the slot.sometimes you can line them up with just finger pressure,sometimes you need a wrench( spanner),i usually can do it with needle nose pliers.

after alignment the next thing to check would be burrs on the egde of the read,or less commonly on the reedplate.burrs can be removed with emory paper.i usually use wet to dry sandpaper or jewelers files to tune harmonicas,so i always have some around.

another thing that can cause reeds to rattle is looseness on the rivet.often this can be cured by putting a little wax on the rivet end of the reed.

hope this helps.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

PS,it is a good idea for harp players to learn how to at least do basic tuning,repair and gaping(setting the action) etc. to their harps.you'd be surprised how long you can make harps last with a little tweaking.once you get used to setting your own action(practice on dead harps!)everything sounds better.
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Blues Harp