Tone, Where ? When? Why ? How ?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Tone, Where ? When? Why ? How ?

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 pm

The Strat's got better over the years as I've adjusted it to suit me. Messrs Gibson are entirely correct.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby koagtrman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 pm

I heard some where that SRV played 13s on his Strat because he liked the tone. I can't imagine playing an entire set on those cables. Ha.
koagtrman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:37 pm

13s are called "medium" acoustic strings.
ricochet
Regular

Postby DRU LORE » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:22 am

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT...

I've always played with high action and heavy (13-60) strings. WHY ?

Because the guitar acts as my "Editor". My hand will think twice about playing gratuitous notes, it wants to use the effort only on the good ones..

Secondly, as Roy Buchannan told me, the guitar will ring so much better with the strings up high.

Third, when bending, I can get the string right in the middle of my fingertip, on the "meat", and really get some power and control of the bend, as well as a singing vibrato at the top of the bend, like Freddie King in the 70's.
With low action, you're pushing the bend around with your fingerprint, and don't have the same control..

The rest is easy, just skip the bad notes.

HAPPY NEW YEAR,
DRU
DRU LORE
Regular

Postby TheDude » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm

That's an interesting theory, but it doesn't fly for me personally. I got small hands and like to play with a light touch. I want my guitar to HELP me to play what I hear in my head. Not hinder me.

I play with a bog standard set of 9 through 46, medium-low action and sometimes even tuned down a half step. Guitar plays like butter with accurate and effortless bending, vibrato and picking. I manage to make that sound pretty darn good (even with my mediocre skills :mrgreen: ).

Give me my guitar strung with 11s or more and a high action and it becomes a chore to play. I'm sure the guitar will resonate better and all that, but what good does that do me if it's virtually unplayable?

On another note about tone: I was in a guitar store the other day and they had a 100$ Chinese Tele knock-off on the wall. Didn't look very good and the plate was loose. The wires were sticking out! But I plugged it into a silverface Super Reverb they had in the shop and suddenly... That ugly, broke-down little knock-off came alive and spoke to me! Brought a big fat smile to my face. I know the amp was probably a big factor, but talk about THAT tone... THAT was THE tone.
TheDude
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Dude, and you brought it home right ? :?
birddog
Regular

Postby TheDude » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:03 am

Nope. I would've had to buy the amp as well in order to keep that tone and "she who must be obeyed" probably didn't think my pockets were deep enough for that...

I did since buy the Squier CV Tele which has "that" tone with my own amps.
TheDude
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues