River Cleanup Tunes

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

River Cleanup Tunes

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:05 pm

We got invited to play for a Mississippi River cleanup day in September; I've been tryin' to think of tunes with a river theme (blues, folk, country, or rock) to play for the picnic bash. All I could come up with is "Love that Dirty Water", by the Standels (and change the Boston references). I haven't googled on it, 'cuz I thought I'd get your ideas first.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: River Cleanup Tunes

Postby maxx england » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Clapton sang about that "Floating Bridge". You can do Take Me To The River, Proud Mary, Taj did a Muddy Waters tribute. Tupelo, there's one.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:38 pm

maxx england wrote:Clapton sang about that "Floating Bridge". You can do Take Me To The River, Proud Mary, Taj did a Muddy Waters tribute. Tupelo, there's one.
Thanks Maxx... especially for reminding me about "Take Me to the River"; we do a helluva good heavy version of that tune.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stewie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:34 am

One of the groups I jam with does a song that Lyle Lovett recorded called Texas River Song. It's a traditional song I think. It's in 3/4 time and just C, F and G, and it's a really nice song. There's also Neil Young, Down By The River but the lyrics may not go over so well depending on the crowd!
stewie
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:56 am

Old Man River
jbone1
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Red River Blues?
Down by the Riverside?
Bournio
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks so far, you wonderful slugs! I got one "run through" tonite and one next week before the gig. (I can't call what we do "rehearsal", 'cuz we're a schlock jam band, with decent musicians. If we call it a rehearsal, nobody'll show up.))
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs