Does anybody know what this is?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Does anybody know what this is?

Postby profgalen » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 am

Bought off CL for $200. The seller didn't have any pickups installed but he sold me a set of 80s Gibson Firebird pickups for $30 more. I checked them out, the Real Deal. Sounds fantastic. Guitar is chrome plated bell brass with etched palm tree design front and back, mahogany neck, bone nut, TOM bridge w/locking stop bar, Tele style 3-way switch, Tele knobs, abalone and M.O.P. neck inlays and real cool abalone and M.O.P. headstock palm tree inlay. There are no markings of any kind as to manufacturer, point of origin or Serial number. I set it up with chrome 12s. The neck is very nice. Rosewood fingerboard with well dressed frets, no wear. The guy I bought it from is from India. Maybe he brought the guitar from there?
profgalen
Regular

Re: Does anybody know what this is?

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Bell brass?
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Odd, never seen this before. Maybe it was custom made?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:07 pm

Nice looking guitar! Very distinctive!

"Bell brass" isn't a name found in the metals trade, but apparently reso makers find it more appealing to call it that than the standard cartridge brass that it is. The plating is most likely just nickel, as well.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 pm

I don't care what it is, you just go and buy a lottery ticket or something, I think the movement is with you. 8)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:37 pm

bell brass is a formula apparently not made any more. it was THE brass for harmonica reeds until around wwII, then for whatever reason- maybe not so many bells being cast- it was discontinued. this is part of the issue we harp guys have had with harps for many years now.

amazing the things you pick up on harp forums!
jbone1
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:45 am

Looks interesting . Have fun with it .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 pm

If that's true about bell brass, it had been gone long enough not to even be mentioned as a historical curiosity in the 1948 edition of The Metals Handbook. I don't think there's a special brass alloy just for bells, though cartridge brass certainly rings nicely.
ricochet
Regular

Postby profgalen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 pm

I thought all brass was just copper and tin. I'm sure any metallurgist could analyze a sample of bell brass if one existed and recreate the formula. As far as my mystery guitar goes I'm sure it's just regular brass. I only referred to it as bell brass because that seems to be what they call brass used in musical instruments. Of course I could be completely and unequivocally wrong.
profgalen
Regular

Postby TheFanHead » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:04 pm

First thing I want to ask is, What does it sound like acoustically? Then, What does it sound Electrifed? If it does both of them well that sounds like a perfect all-in-one Resonator?/Acoustic/2 pickup guitar. But God that thing looks gorgeous. :D :mrgreen:
TheFanHead
Regular

Location: Sunny Thornton Le Dale, 15 miles from scarborough and home of the gods :D

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

profgalen wrote:I thought all brass was just copper and tin.

That's bronze. Actually, that's what most of the big old time bells were made of. Brass is copper and zinc. There are many formulas for those in varying concentrations, sometimes with other metals in the alloy, but the strongest is 70% Cu, 30% Zn, commonly known as cartridge brass. Tin's gotten relatively rare and expensive, so bronze has as well.
ricochet
Regular

Postby profgalen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Acoustically it sounds about like a semi-hollow body unplugged, only brighter. Not like a resonator at all. Not to loud but good enough for solo practice. plugged in to my Blues Jr. it really shines. Fat bass sound with the flat-wound 12s, full powerful mids and quite a bit of sparkly highs. the Firebird PuPs work very well in it. I've cranked it up pretty loud and have not experienced any feedback. I would say more of an electric than an acoustic. I haven't tried it through my AC30 yet but I'm sure I'll love it. I'll have to post some sound clips as soon as I get around to recording some. Maybe some video when I can recruit some help.
profgalen
Regular

Postby TheFanHead » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:28 am

Well with that metal body I don't think you ever will get feedback, maybe just a bit of squeal from the pickups when the amp is driven hard :twisted: LOL I think this guitar would be good a a stage gimmick, just to make the audience go WOW! when they see you playing it. But that's just my 1p :mrgreen:

P.S GIVE US SOUNDCLIPS!!!!! PLEASE????
TheFanHead
Regular

Location: Sunny Thornton Le Dale, 15 miles from scarborough and home of the gods :D

Postby deltablues57 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

I think it is a Galveston.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:36 am

It's really cool, whatever it is!
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues