Johnson tricone cone replacement

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Johnson tricone cone replacement

Postby ashm86 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Anyone done this? I have been reading about how the hot rod cone makes a huge difference to cheap resonators and thought I might try it on my guitar. Are they just a drop in replacement?

Thanks,

andrew
ashm86
Regular

Re: Johnson tricone cone replacement

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:16 pm

I've got the Continental cones that came in a new Johnson in mine. I sure do like them.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ashm86 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 pm

I find with mine, it is too easy to push them too hard and they end up buzzing. I'm not sure what kind of cones they are...
ashm86
Regular

Postby savage » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:41 pm

You sure its the cones and not the bridge tailpiece? Mine used to buzz a little bit so I cut a little piece of leather and wedged it in there. Never buzzed since. But about the cones, I have heard people complain about the old stock ones. Never played one with the original cones before though. When I got mine I realized that they had already been swapped out. No clue what brand they are but they sound good to my ears.
savage
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:29 am

Supposedly most of the 2004s came with the Continental cones, and after January 1 2005 they all did. The original cones in my early 2002 one were truly awful, so bad that the Quarterman cones I replaced them with were a big improvement! Then I got the Continental cones from a BRB member who replaced them with National cones. As I recall, he found little difference with the National cones, but the Continentals really brought my old Johnson new life!

Buzzing is just a tricone quirk. They buzz for mysterious reasons, quite often.
ricochet
Regular

Postby ashm86 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:43 pm

I've got a piece of silk tie under the tail piece but it still buzzes when pushed hard. Do the national cones just drop in?
ashm86
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:05 pm

AFAIK they do.

Have you tried touching the coverplate all around while playing to see if you can stop the buzz, That's the source for lots of buzzes. The cones must sit perfectly flat on the floor of the soundwell, and even contact is hard to achieve. Sometimes you have to rotate cones and/or swap the three around to improve that. The ends of the T-bridge have to make proper contact with all three. If in the course of adjusting intonation you end up with the edge of a cone pressed against the side of the soundwell, it'll probably buzz. Lots of these guitars have a screw through the soundwell into the neck stick that may not be seated perfectly flush, keeping one of the cones from making perfect contact.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues