Speaker decriptions/terms

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Speaker decriptions/terms

Postby birddog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Seems like a lot of people swap out speakers in that tone quest.
Certainly alot of amps have custom designed speakers, probably built for price point by the manufacturer.
Looking for a better understanding of the terms used by speaker builders as I'm quite ignorant on the subject.
Descriptions like Bright, punchy, later/smooth breakup, aggressive, articulate, compressed/fattened at higher volume.
Or Warm, cruncy, early breakup, aggressive, loud, compressed at high volume.
Or Bright, detailed, good attack and sustain.
Then theres Loud, smooth, uncolored like a JBL D120F tone
Or Very Loud, Smooth, Uncolored, huge low end like an EV, more headroom than an Alnico.

Some of these I can understand like loud and uncolored, but some of the others I'm lost.
I want to place a speaker order to go in my cab for my bassman. Guess I don't mind doing it again someday but want to start with something decent for the electric side of blues.

And what difference does a straight cone or curved cone do and what a does the size of a voice coil have do do with anything ?

Thanks

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: Speaker decriptions/terms

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am

While I don't understand most of those, I think most of them are just terms to try and sell a product.

I have an Eminence Red, White, and Blues speaker in one of my amps. I like it and I would recommend it. Of course I have no experience with other aftermarket speakers so I can't say much.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:35 am

So... eh, mostly ignore what they say. Most manufacturers publish SPL levels charted against frequency. This will tell you a lot about the frequency response of the speaker, though a lot of speakers seem to be pretty similar when you look at their graphs.

One thing I like about Eminence is they have that big comparison webpage where you can hear the same clip thru all of their speakers and compare. This won't tell you what exactly the speaker will sound like in person and in your setup but it's better than nothing.

For blues I would say... just get something normal. I put an Eminence Swamp Thing in my 1x12 cab and it just has too much bottom end. Depending on your amp that may be ok or not - if it's a Bassman as in my case then it's not.

Voice coil size, cone shape, magnet material - meh, whatever. Magnet material in particular is one of the better hoaxes perpetrated against musicians with little science background.

Speakers are rated for certain wattage. Some people are after "speaker breakup". I don't play loud enough to hear this, but if you're after that you may want to go with the lowest wattage speaker you can safely hook up to your amp. But sadly most speakers are 50-100W.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 am

I think a frequency response graph will tell me a lot more than audiophilic "wine tasting" terminology.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 am

OMG, Rico...that photo is hilarious.

Looks so much like Joe it's spooky.

Haven't been on here for a spell, forgive me if the pic has been on a while.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:46 am

I was already running a pic that was out of date, with the Santa beard still in place, so I just went to one slightly older. :mrgreen:

I'm about to head off to the beach and let the beard start back again. In fact, I just may not shave this morning.
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:56 pm

I think these descriptions given by the manufacturers are in reference to people that contact them with their decriptions and looking for a recommendation for a speaker.
Alot of graphs look very similar to me. Looking at the useable fequency range some are wider.
70Hz-5kHz seems about as wide as any. I suppose I find some comfort in reading reviews especially when there isn't much for negative.
I will just have to try some, if they aren't what I'm looking for try something else.

AS far as the phot goes, must be your HS yearbook photo. As the song went, "Get a haircut and get a real job" :wha:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:03 pm

It's from college. Not sure if I was 19 or 20.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues