youtube clips with lotsa amplified harp!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

youtube clips with lotsa amplified harp!

Postby liquidfire » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Just uploaded a bunch of videos of our band Skunk Jive (was: Smokefree & The Bandits) on youtube. That's me, Kelvin Ng, playing harp and singing. Lotsa amplified harp content. These clips are of us playing at a prominent jazz concert series here in Sentosa, Singapore. The month-long Jazz By The Beach concert series featured some of the best jazz talents (both foreign and local) we have in Singapore. We were honoured and glad to be part of this series.

Please let me know what you think of the amplified harp tone and playing. Btw, I was playing through a 4x10 amp. You will never guess what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4ydUA69nY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpvjlox ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPcsjvIiK8Q
Last edited by liquidfire on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
liquidfire
Regular

Re: youtube clips with lotsa amplified harp!

Postby jeffl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey, it sounds great. Can't argue with that tone (I've played harp for over 40 years) .Good & dirty and not over the line (MY line anyway). I'm a fan a not playin' too many notes on harp, with rare exceptions ; I never adjusted to the "kazillion note" Popper induced freneticism of some of the younger harpers. I have no argument with guys like Jason Ricci who play a million notes in a way that makes sense and says something, rather than playing a phrase like the whole thing is one big passing note. I hate your band's name though (jus' kiddin'), 'cuz I hate Skoal Bandits. They send a chill down my spine. BTW, have you listened to clips of one of our more veteran and talented members, BarbequeBob Maglinte? Check out www.barbequebob.com . When Bob plays alotta notes, they say something.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Very nice. Since we'll never guess the amp, wanna tell us what it is? I'm not a purist, so if it's solid state I won't mind.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gdudiv » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:02 pm

if it's the one i can see over your left shoulder, it looks like it may be an Ampeg bass amp, or an old Acoustic bass amp combo????
gdudiv
Regular

Postby gdudiv » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:04 pm

oh - i can see it better in HQ - a Roland???? hmm
gdudiv
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 pm

sounds great man, hey ditto's to BBQ bob, I love his stuff, I actually loved it so much I built his web site http://www.barbequebob.com that was way back when I was really new and zealious in harmonica.

The amp im not sure about couldnt see it too well but I'll take a stab at maybe an old gibson, or sears silvertone or something maybe even solid state peavy like the other guy said.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby liquidfire » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Hehe. It's a Roland JC-160, a discontinued 4x10 version of the JC-120. Part of the backline provided that night.

Yes, I have heard some of Bob's music and also read many of his forum posts online. He's a good player and I dig his tone. Hope I get another chance to come to the States and check out all these cats.
liquidfire
Regular

Return to Blues Harp