'59 Bassman- Worth It's Weight!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

'59 Bassman- Worth It's Weight!

Postby jbone1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:14 am

recently i took the Sligo Bassman replica(built by Steve Clark) out to a jam. a harp bud was there with the house band. he usually brings a small or medium gibson or a blues junior out to do his thing for the evening as the house harp guy. more often than not, there are 3 or even 4 guitars on stage before it's finished, along with keys on one end. needless to say it's hard to hear whoever is blowing through the house amp. i had brought the bassman out a couple of times and gotten somewhat better volume and kept pretty good tone, but since then i had talked to a couple of bassman owners who counseled me to swap my 12a tubes around some more. i stuck a 12ax7 back in p1 to get the front end some juice, left a 12au7 in p2, and another 12ax7 in p3. also- and very important- my harp bud grabbed a jumper cord and bridged the normal and bright channels between input 2 and input 3.

the result was immediate and so awesome, it's hard to express with mere words. think of a smallblock chevy engine, stock. not bad. but then you port, polish, poke, stroke, and cam it up, and stick a serious injection setup on top. major horses are suddenly loose on the street. that sort of describes the change here. not only was the volume bumped up considerably, the overdrive of having that one small jumper there totally opened up a world of possibilities tone-wise! the bottom end was maybe twice what i had gotten before. and it was so much fatter.

the bright volume control, when it's bridged like that, can have some big- and good- effect on tone. i'm not close to being an expert on this stuff by any means, but i've been told that using this setup you can break up earlier and the distortion level is bumped up quite a bit. this also livens up your other controls- presence, bass, mids, treb. and when you stick a hot mic in the thing, it's like getting your wings. in fact, one of the only times i've ever been asked to turn down was that night!

i used my latest favorite mic that night, the e-v m43u i got off ebay and had greg heumann mod for me. it's an awesome combination. later i plan to try the crystal powered ruskin mic and crank the bass up quite a bit more, to see if i can get the low end i like plus the clarity a crystal can give. i also have a shure 545s to try out but i think the element maybe is going out. plus i do have a shure 707a with a 99b86 cm i it that needs a tryout also.

i'm thinking i may try this jump thing on the silvertone 1482 since it has 2 channels also. may be a smaller tone monster too!

so just a word if you are using a bassman and maybe want to give it wings.
jbone1
Regular

Re: '59 Bassman- Worth It's Weight!

Postby bottleneck » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:53 pm

i've always liked my bassman sans channel bridge BUT i'm always glad to hear when things work out.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 am

again this past weekend in clarksdale mississippi, this amp surprised me very pleasantly. i found myself doing stuff on harp that i'd attempted before but gave up because i really couldn't hear it. i had a baritone C chromatic just smokin for part of the night. think james cotton or carey bell with muddy. it was incredible!

this amp will get the sound out there.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 pm

did you have the channels bridged again?

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 am

bridged is at least for now the only way to go. the extra bottom end alone makes it a good thing. overall performance is upped before either too much volume or feedback. it just puts so much more tone at your fingertips.
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp