playing and singing

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: playing and singing

Postby rustyslide » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:47 am

>...blow your harmonica, son.

and sing at the same time? similar to the flute, I think.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby houndog » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:27 am

>>...blow your harmonica, son.
>
>and sing at the same time? similar to the flute, I think.
>
>ramble ramble ramble
>I got ramblin' on my mind.
>
>[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my
>portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc
>maxime sugit[/a]

SBW II

arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby david » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:46 pm

The bit about "hating" folks what can do that was an exaggerated expression folks. It was a joke! Don't go breaking people's fingers.

As for playing flute and singing at the same time, anybody listen to Jethro Tull?

I actually know a young guy who can listen to just about any song and play it on either guitar or piano. I have seen him get very close to having it down WHILE listening to it for the first time.

The really disgusting part is that it doesn't seem to impress him at all. He almost never plays and doesn't seem the least bit interested in it. His father taught him some guitar when he was very young and he was given a nice guitar for his birth day years ago, but just doesn't care about playing music.

Go figure...
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:27 pm

>I actually know a young guy who can listen to just about any
>song and play it on either guitar or piano. I have seen him
>get very close to having it down WHILE listening to it for
>the first time.

My guitar teacher's like that. Awesome. Does it with very complex stuff.
ricochet
Regular

Postby gary_joe » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:29 am

It was said the Robert Johnson could listen to a song on a record one time and then play it on his guitar.
gary_joe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:26 pm

Last night I went to see Jason, my teacher. Didn't tell him I was fooling around with Open G minor. He was telling me about his Halloween party while I quietly started playing "I Wonder As I Wander." that caught his attention as a song he "knew," but couldn't name, and I told him, played it some more. Then I said "Check this out" and started playing "Summertime." I'd gotten the melody all figured out with a bass line and some fills, it still needed work. He said "Give me your guitar!" and I handed over my Johnson. Jason had never played a guitar in Open G minor in his life. He'd watched me play that tune for about a minute and just took off jamming on it. Played the most awesome version of "Summertime" I've ever heard in my life! Came up with a couple of terrific original riffs that he was good enough to write down for me. I'm going to be busy for quite a while to work it up to something like what he came up with! He asked me if I would mind if he used "my arrangement" (HA!) in his acoustic duo act with Linda, a local girl who may be the best female blues singer I've ever heard. But of course! I pointed out that it was Open G minor when he got done. He thought that was pretty cool.
:7
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:40 pm

Isn't it humbling when you see how musically articulate some folks are?

I have watched my new (and only) teacher figure out what tuning a song is in, and how to play it, so fast it was unbelievable. She teaches piano, guitar, banjo, violin, mandolin, squareneck dobro, and now roundneck slide guitar.

It is being around that kind of musical ability that makes me really want to learn. I wonder what humbles them?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:09 pm

Yip Rico and David,
talent is practice + positive personality.

But remember guys, these are people who work at that job.

If I came to you Rico and asked a question about a medical issue,or David on the best way to get a baby hoss breathing ...I would expect a reasionably quick and concise answer.

So because you love the guitar soo much you also fear it and so disable your playing...

Hell's teeth lads even our local soccer kiddie team coach is preaching
"the biggest challenge is winning yourself over before you step onto the pitch".

Practice and a lack of the internal critic...

adios,
Lovat

(Boy..I am pretty fired up about my speech up there...better do something BIG before the spark goes...)
houndog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:57 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-03 AT 09:47 PM (EST)]You're quite right, Lovat.

As for what humbles Jason, David, another friend of mine named Travis Nevels is perhaps the most technically proficient fingerpicker I've ever heard. Plays incredibly fast and clean, with tremendous dynamics. Throws in all sorts of percussive effects while he's doing it. Jason was telling me about this fabulous player I had to go hear before I realized it was an old college fraternity brother of mine that he was talking about. (When I went to hear him at Jason's urging, the folks who invited me to sit with them turned out to be his wife and parents.) Travis plays his own style of music. Doesn't fit in any established genre. He calls it "freestyle guitar." (If you want to hear some samples of his earlier stuff, go to his website at http://freestyleguitar.com/ where there are links to a couple of CDs he's got out, with some downloadable samples. They don't really do him justice, but will give you an idea.) Anyway, I was carrying a CD last night that Travis gave me 3 weeks ago, a home recorded demo of some of his newest stuff that hasn't been released. Travis is exploring something new for the first time, playing and singing at the same time! After 30 years of playing the guitar professionally, he's just doing that! Jason was absolutely blown away by Travis' guitar playing, and had to listen to the ENTIRE CD. Several other professional players wandered in and out of the room, hearing the cranked up CD, and shook their heads in amazement. Jason told me, "Don't EVER come in here with one of his CDs and tell me you want me to show you how to play like that! I want somebody to show ME how!" This is all kind of circular. Travis gave me that demo at the University's Homecoming last month. He'd E-mailed me wanting to get together and jam. I was absolutely freaked out about that. Had the "I am not worthy!" syndrome really bad! Didn't get to do it, mainly because my wife got sick. But we spent a most enjoyable time visiting. (I missed getting to hear him play the night before; Travis was kind of bummed because the drunken college kids were hollering "Play something we know, like some Blink-182!") Travis was disappointed that I didn't have my guitar, like I was going to teach him something! He says he's often gotten fired up after hearing some good slide player, gone out and gotten a slide, but never could get it to sound decent! I offered some tips I thought might be helpful. He was quite insecure about his singing (which is quite good), and I encouraged him about that. Where I think all this rambling is headed is to a conclusion to the effect that most people have their own insecurities (there certainly seem to be egotists who don't, and nobody wants to work or play with them.) And most of us aren't as bad as we think we are. It's intimidating to think of playing with and exposing your inadequacies in front of someone you esteem very highly. (I wouldn't bat an eye at going to jam with, say, Eric Clapton. I figure I could hold up my end.) But doing so is a great way to learn. And with the exception of a few egotistical assholes, those really accomplished and talented folks are highly encouraging and know that it can be tough getting up in front of an audience and baring yourself. Whenever I've sallied forth to perform something in public, in church or at an open mic, the most enthusiastic applause and praise has come from professional musicians far better than I'll ever be.

(edit: fixed typo in Travis' web address.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:07 pm

Hey, remember Linda? Best female blues singer I've heard? Not quite a year ago she was introduced to John Cowan when he was performing in the area. He'd already been told what an awesome singer she is by people he respected. He invited her to sing with him at the show. Told her to come early so they could rehearse together. She got cold feet. Kept telling herself over and over that he couldn't have really meant it, that he was just being nice. She didn't go. Jason and I could have choked her!
ricochet
Regular

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:16 am

Rico,
you are a gem to be treasured in this forum as it's wisest and most honest member...excellent and most worthy ramble which made some spot on points.

Firstly...Travis wants you to accompany him on slide...he fears the slide and you are Captain Slide, you can only disappoint yourself not him...

Secondly we all fear summat , and yet are compelled to approach that fear like a moth to the lamp, hence the wonderful anxiety we experience before playing/singing/or Johnson performance (it is all the same to the internal critic..) Moths believe the lamp to be the sun,and likewise we do not name or deal with our attraction and fear.

All egotists and many performers are unfinished people and have far greater developed internal critics than you or I,they crave public fullfillment and yet deny it's importance.

We are mere shadows of this and I like sitting in this shadow,moths desire the sun not it's substitute.

Rico,you and I have lived at least half of our life span..what is there to loose ?

Desperately seeking Nemo/Neo

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:28 am

SO-o-o-o right Richochet, my hospitable brother. You've touched on a common emotion. One thing about harp, vocals, or instruments where part of the tone is generated from within hopefully more elevated cavities in the body, the sound to those listening may be different than what you hear from within. Got me? S'like, sometimes I go to listen to another harper (y,ist,-adero) and my buddies might say,"Man, you run circles 'round this guy", and I'll go, "Are you kiddin'? Listen to what he's doin' with this, or that, or whatever." It's a beautiful thang, thatchou can get summa this good stuff for almost nuthin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:03 am

>Rico,you and I have lived at least half of our life
>span..what is there to lose ?

A most excellent point, Lovat!

Reckon that means the internal critic's at least half gone, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby houndog » Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:58 am

Yip Rico,
that is a great way to look at it...half of the internal critic gone.As Jeffl says ...other musos are not the most feared critic and usually are the greatest supporters of those who get up and play. :D

Me ..I am still dealing with the events of 40 years ago...small country school...music teacher..." ahhh Fraser...I think you should go to the back of the choir and mime....".

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:24 pm

" ahhh Fraser...I think you should go to the back of the choir and mime...."

Houndoggit Dagnab,
Don't listen to the nasty man, console yourself with the almost certain knowledge that although you might have used up half your lifespan, your old music teacher is 99% likely to have used up all of his.
Kick that internal critic into touch too.
Plenty of us here have heard your guitar stylings, I'm pretty damned sure that those same folks now want to hear the Dog howl.
I had a similar singing exp at sch too, chucked out of the choir for being a terrible caterwauler, maybe that's what made me such easy pickings for the Devil's Music...
stumblin
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!