Perfect guitar tone for the blues!!!

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Perfect guitar tone for the blues!!!

Postby The Saint » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:47 pm

I hear what I consider the perfect blues guitar tone on Levon Helm's Electric Dirt CD on the 2nd cut "Move Along Train". It's more of a gospel tune by the song master Pop Staples. I'll know if I get to heaven, becasue Pop will be there singing and playing guitar.
The Saint
Regular

Re: Perfect guitar tone for the blues!!!

Postby strathound » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 pm

The Saint wrote:I hear what I consider the perfect blues guitar tone on Levon Helm's Electric Dirt CD on the 2nd cut "Move Along Train". It's more of a gospel tune by the song master Pop Staples. I'll know if I get to heaven, becasue Pop will be there singing and playing guitar.

Here's a link to the tune on Amazon if anyone wants to give it a listen:

http://www.amazon.com/Move-Along-Train/dp/B002CGM508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1253311704&sr=1-1

Are you talking about the rhythm or lead guitar (or both)?
strathound
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:40 am

So I remembered this thread tonight for what I call my Drunken Ramble (playing blues with booze, yes the name is Levon inspired! :wink: ).

Anyway, I jammed to the song. I think the tone can be replicated with a Strat (vintage pick-ups, mine has Fender 57/63's) and Fender Blackface amp (Twin Reverb et al). I used a model with some extra distortion (number 5 voice on my Super Champ). Reverb set to 3.

So basically, vintage single-coil on Blackface amp with slight distortion and reverb.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:42 am

Heartbreaking album by the way, Levon's brand of folk/blues always tugs at my heartstrings. He's the closest thing we've Ian Tyson as far as the struggles of rural life we've seen IMHO.
Rhambama
Regular

Postby Rhambama » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:43 am

Sorry for the tripple post, Strat bridge pick-up, that's important too. I'll bet a Tele can get this tone too.
Rhambama
Regular

Return to Talking Blues