playing and singing

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: playing and singing

Postby suzy q » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:11 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-03 AT 11:15 AM (EST)]>2. I learned to play the song first. Then with a
>metronome, I slowed the song WAAAAAAY down until I could
>play it and sing it at the same time. I paid close
>attention to what notes were played at the same time as
>certain words in the lyrics. I did this over and over until
>I got it. Then I began slowly increasing the speed until I
>had the song back up to its original tempo.

Glad you brought up a metronome. I would like to get one (had an old wooden one when we were kids, but it's grown legs and walked off) I've looked at the new electronic ones - anybody use a particular model that they'd like to recommend?

blinds,
You couldn't be any worse than me. My voice would peel paint off the wall and I've only been playing for a coupla months (so you can imagine how bad I sound) but what the hey, my dog loves my music and my husband better like it (if he wants to stay in my good graces) they're the only two critics I care about anyway.
suzy q
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:05 pm

I have a wierd old electronic one my sisters bought me years ago...looks like something from Frankenstein's Lab.

I also use a nifty little in- ear Metronome from Korg, about the size of a car key.

And a freebie computer program, forget where I DL'd it but I use it a lot.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gary_joe » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:30 pm

I think the "trick" to learning how to sing and play guitar at the same time is the ability to keep a constant rhythm. Here is something you can try. Don't worry about the chords or the lyrics. Start out just humming the melody, plucking the bass notes and tapping your foot, all at the same time. Keep doing that until you can "feel the groove" of the song. Then add the lyrics and finally the chords. And keep tapping that foot!
gary_joe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:13 pm

Hello Gary_Joe,
whilst I really agree with the "what works for you must be right" approach ( hell..I don't know any other ;) )I picked this interesting snippet from Woody Mann acouple of weeks ago when some one asked that very question "should I keep time by tapping my foot?".

Now I didn't get the whole answer but it seemed to go a bit like...
"no, as the foot tapping is a add on aid, the thing to do is find the rythym inside you rather than rely on an external aid."

The conversation went on to say that timing is the most important aspect of playing and all players have to work at it as we all want to play that piece so badly we run hard at it.

The other thing Woody said made sense to me, part of our timing goes out as gtr players hold our breath whilst playing...

We then thought how most other instruments use breath and so demand breath control, which takes me back to the topic.

What are the excercises to stop me holding my breath when singing ?

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:36 pm

>What are the excercises to stop me holding my breath when
>singing ?

that you'll breathe again before you pass out? :)
not all musicians use their breathing to keep time. A timpani player I talked to said that she chews gum to the time, since she needs her feet and hands to play the instrument.

A guitarist/singer (Rick Fines) I saw said that the key wasn't to tap your [em]foot[/em], but rather to tap both [em]feet[/em] so that you engage both halves of the brain.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby costa » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:13 am

You're all doing WAY too much thinking! Play the song, and if the foot taps, good; If it doesen't, just as good. Trust me, your time will improve if you just relax.

Costa

...blow your harmonica, son.
costa
Regular

Postby gary_joe » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:09 am

I agree with everything you guys are saying and Costa really hit it on the head. Don't think, just relax and play. I've used the foot tapping technique successfully with some beginners, not all, notice I said "try it". Sometimes they are too busy thinking about the lyrics and thinking about the chord changes and thinking about the melody. I try to get them to focus first on keeping the foot tapping and keeping a solid beat. That will sometimes help free up the rest of the brain from thinking too much so the left hand can hit the chord changes naturally. And the left foot is best because it engages the right side of the brain. The left side is already working the beat in the right hand. Like Rustyslide said, you want both sides of the brain working. Truthfully, I only tap my foot when I play fingerstyle. This was only a suggestion to help a beginner to learn feel the beat first. Get the beat and melody down first and then add the chords and lyrics. Like Hounddog said, ultimately, the beat needs to be inside. I like to think of it as being in the heart.
gary_joe
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mikedev » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:50 pm

Been there, still there.

But as the others all said it gets easier the more you do it.

Confidence is the big thing. If I know either the guitar or lyrics well Ican concentrate on the other. When I'm learning both I struggle. So I try andplay the cd/tape/record over and over till I know it properly , then bring out the guitar.

Keep trying it's fun....
mikedev
Regular

Postby david » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:53 pm

Don't you hate people who can listen to a song once and then play & sing it?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:52 pm

No, but I am totally in awe of their ability!
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:10 am

You know, recently, I had a conversation with a friend, a Flautist, a good one, about another local Flautist- and she confided a dislike for this second musician based on their first meeting. He told her, after hearing her play, that she played so well that he wanted to "break her fingers".

Ahem.

Kinda goes against the whole point of music, from my perspective.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:46 am

If they're weren't people better 'n me at these things, who would you learn from? Playin' something really well can release you from the gravity effects of ego. It's about the music, the music. But, different people are into it for different reasons. I think people who make a livin' at it sometimes just gotta play. Some of us gotta work at it harder than others. Me, I sometimes can't even remember lyrics to songs I wrote when I'm playin' at the same time. Ring a bell, anyone?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:30 am

I'll bet the Flautists really have it rough learning to play and sing at the same time.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:21 am

the nose comes in handy. if you're really talented the ears and other orfices too.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby costa » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:30 am

Oh my...

Costa

...blow your harmonica, son.
costa
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!