Blues harp help?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Blues harp help?

Postby Derekslide » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:40 am

Ok I'm tired of using google to find crap about the harmonica and sheet music for the harmonica where you need to pay to sign up and get the info.

Or You would know the harmonica at least a year before playing some of the stuff on the websites. I'm not in the mood to play anyone $50-$200 to buy a subscription or a dvd collection to gain website access either!

I'm just sick and tired of the half backed info I've been finding so can you guys help me out?
Last edited by Derekslide on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Re: Blues harp help?

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:58 am

Derek, Go to Harmonicajam.com They have alot of jam tracks you can play to and it's free. I found out that staring with a slow blues first then progressing to faster songs you can learn to play better. It's like any other inst. It takes time and lot's of practice. I know with school you are very busy. Find time to practice 15 min. a day. You will be surprised how well you improve. Sometimes over practice can make you fustrated. Hang in there it's all well worth it.
Pastor Harmonica
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:05 am

Also... It fits in your pocket, take it hiking, take it to the shop, who gives a damn if you sit down for a break somewhere and blow a bit of harp!

Practice the 2 and 3 draw, till you can play them clearly.

That Adam Gussow guy on youtube has probably got about a million and 10 videos, and his start out pretty basicly IIRC...
Bournio
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 am

Your right B. NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. I bought a cheap camera case that you can were on your belt. Able to fit 4 harps in it. I carry a G,A,C,D.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm

There are lots of videos for beginners onYouTube. Search on terms like "gussow," "ricci," "blues harp," "beginners" and "basic."

I wish I had this stuff when I first started playing in the mid 80s.

You're a student, which means you should be able to know how to use a library. As I advised in the other thread about this, go to your public library and check out some instructional books/cd/dvds. I can almost guarantee you that they can find you some good ones and they won't cost you a dime.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Thank you very much for your help everyone, By the way DCBlues, I will have to wait until the end of the week to find out if they got Harmonica for dummies!

By the way Boarders have the complete idiots guide to playing harmonica & one howto book from Dan akyriod himself.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:11 pm

You're welcome. If the library doesn't have what you're looking for, but it's in the system you can usually place a hold on it. They'll let you know when it's in and reserve it for you. At least that's what they do in my state library system.

That's right kids, libraries have all kinds of great stuff for you, for free!

Now we know!

And knowing is half the battle!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Winslow Yerxa also has a book out called Harmonica For Dummies out now. There are more and more free instructional videos available on You Tube these days. There's far more help available online now than what was available when I started out back in the early 70's.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp