Local Comps for IBC?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Local Comps for IBC?

Postby jbone1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

we decided tonight, we're going to compete in the local blues society's competition for the IBC. we've been working on some new material, and along with some songs we've been doing for a while, we feel like we have as good a shot as anyone else. we have about 7 weeks to polish our stuff up and put on a good 25 minute show for the judges and our peers.

last year was a disappointment on one hand, and some real validation from friends old and new on the other. we didn't place last year. we made a couple of errors like i forgot my harp mic and had to deal with a vocal p.a. mic, and we were a bit late, and we had to sit down for health reasons instead of standing up and jumping around and all that. the judges seemed to prefer a more distorted blues/rock approach that time, which we don't do, we're pretty dang traditional. but to me that's only part of the reason to do a competition.
the major part is to play in front of peers and friends, and maybe bring some folks we've never met into the blues fold. we met some of our best blues friends last year at the same competition, and we're working out some details and getting each other into a few places now. so let the judges do what they do, and we may luck out, but the other reasons for doing this weigh out much better in my book.

how bout you cats? anyone going to compete for a shot at memphis this year?
jbone1
Regular

Re: Local Comps for IBC?

Postby gdudiv » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:44 am

My band competed in the Magic City Blues Society BOBB on July 26th. Killer bands and solo/duos this year - best yet I think. We brought our A game and did some new stuff in a more traditional style (kinda) on all Handmade instruments and A Suitcase drumkit.

here's a link to a vid of part of our set http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8812CpHl6nw

maybe we'll see some of you guys (and gals?) on Beale. We won. 8) :D

gdudiv
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Congrats! Have fun in Memphis.

I don't know if we're entering eiher of our local contests. I guess I'll find out in the next month or so, but for now it looks like we're not.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Ooohh, got to put some work in if the British Invasion (Jakey can swim, I'll sit in the boat while we tows it across) is going to get on a stage with you lot. Nice work.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:12 am

y'all look like a fun bunch gd! hope we at least place this time but the bottom line is we're gonna go do our best stuff and have a great time. fingers crossed.
jbone1
Regular

Postby gdudiv » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:18 am

That's the ticket!! You just never know what will happen when you let loose and make it fun. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
gdudiv
Regular

Return to About Gigs