playing and singing

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: playing and singing

Postby jellyroll baker » Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:34 pm

I was kicked out of the choir at age 11. The reason "I think your voice is starting to break." That was very polite, the darn thing didn't start to break until I was 13.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thalo blues boy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:12 am

If you listen to EC's "The Sky is Crying", there is a lot of time to "think ahead" about what you're going to sing next. I learned by just doing 3-chord turn arounds. I'm into very low drama. (?) James
thalo blues boy
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 pm

I like the posts Here inthis thread, In 05 Roots Time Mag,did a review of me and my music, And made a bold statement that I was the most fenominal guitarist of our time, Ofcourse that just floored me I framed it and hung it in my studio,for all to see,and the next year I caught myself tryin to stay in the same style that earned me those kind words,I would judge my new stuff to that old stuff,then I realized that review was holdin me back,so I took it off the wall and put it away and wrote it off as history. I notice on a lot of sites artist ask for some one to listen to there work and tell em what they think, I won't do that,for the simple fact I really don't care what someone thinks,and I don't mean that in a bad way at all its just that you will never be able to do a song that pleases everyone, And the ones that like it seem not to say anything, but the ones that don't like it will tell you how much you suck and why you should just quite,Dats da devil!!And you will struggle to please others and not yourself,and thats what the Blues is all about is to give you some peace in yourself. Just like that stupid review was a curse everytime I went into the studio I felt a pressure to stay in that box,instead of just lettin myself go! Does that make sense to you??
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Like the Story about the Farmer,his son and a jackass, The farmer and his son was workin in the field and a man drove up and said,I saw your Jackass from the road he sure is fine,what do you do with taht jackass, plow ?? We don't do nuttin with him sez the farmer!! You mean you feed that jackass and he doesn't work??asked the man,that is crazy I would get rid of him if he didn't work!!and drove off! Son get the rope were takin dat Jackass into town and sell him!! said the farmer, The farmer and son was leading the jackass down da road when they passed some people workin. LOOK said the people,at that man and boy leadin dat jackass I would ride that ass!! So the farmer put his son on the ass and he jumped up behind,and they rode. Shortly they passed more people and one said LOOK!! at that man and boy ridin dat ass as hot as it is they will hurt dat ass!!!! So the farmer jumped off and led the ass while the boy rode,Shortly they passed some more people, LOOK at that boy ridin on dat ass makin dat old man walk the boy shoul let dat old man ride!!Her son you lead the ass let me ride awhile,so they switched. Shortly they passed somemore people!! Look!! at dat old man ridin on dat ass and makin dat poor child walk!! Son the only thing we can do is to carry this ass!! can you lift the back I will lift the front,they started carrying dat ass,They got by a cliff slipped and dropped the ass over the edge and killed dat Ass!! NOW IF YOU LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE TELL YOU ALL DA TIME YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR ASS!!!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby motorbortniker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Ref 601's jackass story......

Someone should put some music to that. Seriously! It's got some cadence and a rhythm wouldn't be hard to come up with. Just add a melody and voila - a great blues song!
motorbortniker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks for bringing all this good stuff I've never seen out of the archives. And the story - I HAVE done that!! I feel that way and there is always someone commenting and it has really gotten in my way. A couple of weeks ago it happened again. I let it get to me. Plus, I want to sing and play at the same time and this information has helped me. Thanks to all of you who come before and share your knowledge. Love to all.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:39 pm

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c204/601blues/alien-anderson.jpg
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 am

Pretty cool. Are all these yours?
lorilu
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:54 pm

Heck no I wouldn't be caught dead with stuff like that!! But it is an attention getter!!
601blues
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:58 pm

You are funny!
lorilu
Regular

Postby slickcat » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:00 pm

I remember the days when people sang and played from the heart...it was all for fun and expression. Now if your not a guitar virtuoso or classically trained vocalist you get critics saying.." I heard better"; " Your pitchy all over"; such comments I call the "American Idol Syndrome".
As a musician I play because I have to. Its in my soul. Im gonna play until I die because I love music and its a creative outlet. Its part of my inner being. I try to be the best that "I" can be....and never let critics affect your performance.
I love sites like SoundClick...I can listen to every-day musicians doing their thing. I dont have to listen to select promotions dictated by RCA..MCA..Sony executives. Hell there aint even original music played on the radio anymore...you gotta pay for them to play.
Long live the internet!
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:18 am

you're right
when it comes down to it... doesnt really matter what you sound like if you are feeling it and its from the heart. others might not get it or feel your groove... but thats never been a guarantee. musicians gotta do their thing. recently i've really contemplated whether or not i'd even want to make money off of my music. i don't do it for money, and am not sure if i'd ever want to. i play cause its inside of me. thats it.
savage
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!