Speaker wiring/ohms/?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Speaker wiring/ohms/?

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:27 pm

Actually, running a 16 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm solid state amp output won't hurt it, either, it'll just cut the output power. Running a speaker rated at lower impedance than the amp is where you run into risky territory with a solid state amp. (That's OK too with a tube amp.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 pm

zhyla wrote:
birddog wrote:So I can put in 2, 8 ohm speakers
Wire one circut in parallel & it will = 4 ohms :mrgreen:

Correct.

birddog wrote:Then I can wire the other circut series/parallel and it will = 8 ohms and I get what I want ?

No, the example on that page of a series/parallel circuit involves 4 speakers. You could take 4 8 ohm speakers, put pairs of them in series (16 ohm each pair) and put the pairs in parallel (16 ohm parallel with 16 ohm = 8 ohm).

Honestly I would do the 8 || 8 = 4 to match your head, and then have a switch to cut out one speaker to match your 8 ohm needs. Or do 8 + 8 = 16 ohms and plug your 8-ohm (tube) amps into that. It will be suboptimal but shouldn't be a big deal.

Yep, I should have known better than to doubt you. Just trying to think outside the box.
Thats what its gonna have to be.
2 Weber 10A125 Classic Alnico's 8ohm wired for 4ohms, under this vintage project amp.
She's rough but useable, BROWN dropped it off today.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 pm

With that amp, as long as the total ohms load is not less than 4 ohms, you will have no problem. It's output is actually more versatile than I think you may realize, so you can run one 8 ohm speaker with each output, two 4 ohm speakers in series from one output, one 4 ohm speaker from one output, two 16 ohm speakers in parallel from one output, a 2x12 or 4x12 wired for 4, 8, 16 ohms, etc., etc. as long as the total load you give the amp is not less than 4 ohms.

You're going to get the max power rating with a 4 ohm load.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues