Great gig the other night...

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Great gig the other night...

Postby stewie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Played a great gig the other night. The harmonica player from the band I'm in and myself get together about once a week and jam some acoustic stuff ourselves (blues, classic rock, country, folk - whatever we feel like playing). Over the Easter weekend we were asked to play at a local pub which we did for fun and there were only about 5 people there - 4 of which were our friends! The manager has always wanted us back so this past Friday we played again and I was expecting basically the same thing. We got there and there were 40-50 people there drinking and playing pool - I was a bit intimidated! We had invited the drummer from our band to come and he brought his djembe and a cymbal & snare, and another person from the band who has some originals also came with a guitar. She also had some other song suggestions and we said "if you can sing them and play rhythm, we'll play along". In the end we had a great time, people were singing along and yelling out requests, which we played if we knew them. One guy really wanted a Cat Stevens song but none of knew the lyrics so we said we'd play it if he came and sang it, and after some coaxing he did. Instead of being just musicians and audience it became a big party and very interactive and a hell of a lot of fun. The manager wants us to come back as a semi-regular Saturday gig. I'm not sure how often I really want to do it, but I'll definitely do it again.

Anyone else ever played gigs that turned into more of a house party than a typical gig at a pub?
stewie
Regular

Re: Great gig the other night...

Postby jbone1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 am

synergy is a great thing ain't it stewie!

recently, Jo and i were doing a set at a car show/bbq cookoff, and our friends, the next band, slipped in behind us and turned it into a full band thing. it was awesome!

the whole can be greater than the sum of individual parts.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 pm

That sounds great! Those "change of pace" happenings are the spice of life.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stewie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:03 pm

It's great if you can eliminate that invisible barrier between you and the audience, even if the songs start to get a bit sloppy - as long as everyone is having a good time it doesn't matter!
stewie
Regular

Return to About Gigs