Bushman VHM-7 Torpedo mic: opinions?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Bushman VHM-7 Torpedo mic: opinions?

Postby Little Mickey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey guys, loooooooong time no see. I'm about to get myself a harp mic (I'm sick of using other people's vocal mics at gigs) and I'm trying to make a decision. I'm currently looking at the Bushman VHM-7, but I'm not sure. The reviews page here http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=277108 gives a mixed impression. I play both lead and rhythm, so I'm a little worried about the lack of volume control, (but only since reading the review, it's never even occurred to me before that) but otherwise it looks pretty good- any opinions from anyone?

I'm also looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PALM-MIC-Hi-Z-Cry ... 1|294%3A50 it looks pretty and it sounds okay, but I'm not certain for some reason- anyone know anything about this kind of mic?

Thanks guys
L
Little Mickey
Regular

Re: Bushman VHM-7 Torpedo mic: opinions?

Postby jeffl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:37 pm

I don't know about those mics, but for volume control you can just use a volume pedal. It jus' plugs into the line like any effects pedal.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gheumann » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 pm

The answer depend on how / what you want to play.

That mic has a fairly cheap vocal element in the center of the shell - with air all around it. You will get no grit and no response from cupping it. It is a very clean mic. If you want clean however, I think you're better off with an SM58. If you want dirty, you're better off with a vintage mic. There are simply NO current production bullets with tone worth a damn because there are no production elements that cut high frequency response like the older crystal and dynamic elements did.

The Bushman mic is also low impedance, which for most people is nothing but a pain in the ass if you intend to plug into pedals or a guitar/harp amp - which are high impedance devices.

A volume control can be added - in fact you can rip the element out and put in a good CM or CR - and end up with a nice mic. But that's an expensive way to buy a shell.

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com
gheumann
Regular

Postby barbequebob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Volume controls can be added, but you need to know the TRUE impedance of the mic because even tho most mics used for harps are all considered high impedance, which usually means generallty anything over 600 ohms, there's a wide variance in just how high it is. Dynamics like 545's are considered medium impedance, Green Bullets using CM/CR coartridges are a bit higher (tho still considered medium impedance), and crystals and ceramics are ultra high impedance. If the volume pat value is too high or too low, they won't function properly. Crystals/ceramics need a pot with minumum value of 1meg or higher or it can drastically and negative alter the tone when the pot gets rolled downward. Using this value pot on mics using CM/CR or dynamic cartridges will only work as a glorified on/off switch because the impedance of the pot is far too high. With CM/CR's, the pot needed is a 500K ohm pot, which is the most commonly used pot on a guitar and the most widely available. with dynamics, 100K-250K max works better.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:06 pm

that torpedo looks really sharp but for my $$ if i was plugging into a p.a. i'd go for a sm57 or a 545 shure. they brag up the vents in the torpedo for doing different cupping stuff and getting a wider range of sounds but i have yet to see this in action. i have one and have plugged it into a few p.a.'s but haven't noticed a big difference in sound when i cup it differently. that may just be me. but it does look sharp! btw, the one i got was a deal at about $50 with cable and mic holder, but the xlr to 1/4" cable had a bad xlr connector. so i use it mostly with a straight xlr cable to a p.a. if you can tweak in a channel specifically for the torpedo it may sound a lot better than what i've managed.

the thing about all the lesser known crystal mics is, i suspect their freq response is also lesser than the tried and true crystals like those found in vintage mics. this spells lesser performance on stage. the clarity of a crystal is really nice sometimes for chromatic playing and for gentler styles. but there is not near tyher bottom end on a crystal as on a cm or dynamic element. i use a custom ruskin built crystal mic and like it a lot, but for real work horse heavy lifting- into a vintage tube amp- i prefer a cm element vintage mic, which i have a couple, a 707a bullet and a recently modded e-v m43u i got on ebay. the e-v was low-z until greg heumann installed a transformer in it along with a volume pot and a switchcraft connector. it's my favorite mic so far, ever. in all i spent near $175 to purchase it and get it how i wanted it, but if you look on ebay you'll see mics going for twice that which do basically the same thing. and this e-v is about 2/3 the diameter of an average bullet mic so is easier to get a tight cup on.
jbone1
Regular

Postby gheumann » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Yeah, if you take the grill off you'll see why those vents don't make any difference. If you mount a CM in the bushman shell with a gasket that seals the front side from the back EXCEPT for the vents - then you get seriously cool hand effect possibilities. I've had guys spend a lot of $$ modding this shell into something workable and the results are great. But as a storebought play it out of the box mic.... no.
gheumann
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:20 pm

let us put this very simply.
i truly believe all musicians should own a shure sm/57 and a 58 before they own anything else.
i would suggest that if you are playing into a PA to first get a shure sm/57,sm/58 or 545,unidyne etc.a great option is to get one customized with inline VC by greg at http://www.blowsmeaway.com i have no affiliation with him,but he has good stuff that pros like jason ricci and charlie musselwhite use.i bring it up because you specified a desire for a VC.an electrovoice re-10 is also a nice choice.

if you are planning on playing into an amplifier,i would suggest a bullet mic with a shure CM/CR element.
Image there's a few of mine,but of course i have more.

good shells are astatic JT-30's,t3's.200's(with the handle,that could be chopped)turner bullets,shure 520's and 707's,EV 605's and 606's etc.or you could put a CM in a bullet motorcycle turn signal like a ruskin mic,which is a very nice option.

ultimately i think it is good for a harmonica player to have both a straight mic and a bullet,but i think a good start if you don't have an amp is with a shure straight mic.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby blues devil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:05 pm

Honestly bud - the pair of them are pretty poor mics - you want a good affordable mic - go and look at the harp mic shop and see tecnobirds selection - this guy has it all going on! Tell him Kenny from Scotland refered you and he will do you a good deal.
blues devil
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:38 pm

hey kenny! Just to say, the mic I bought off of you is a beauty, Mickey I would listen to Mr blues devil. He knows good gear...
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:34 am

If you REALLY want value for money:

http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph2/VE/TMI-micUK.htm

And use a 'hearing' element from an old land line phone handset, and you can get the cost down to a couple of quid.

And a Mitchum roll-on deodorant bottle makes a great shell (just punch out the ball and drill lots of small holes in the cap) - and it certainly is a talking point.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby blues devil » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:35 am

JakeyVimto wrote:hey kenny! Just to say, the mic I bought off of you is a beauty, Mickey I would listen to Mr blues devil. He knows good gear...

Hey Jakey - thanks dude - it is a great mic and frankly the tip of the iceberg when it comes to technobird's products. I will be doing an article for our website (http://www.bluesdevils.co.uk) on it as an extension to my amplified tone guide which is up there just now (check it out and ignore the spelling mistakes).

If you are at a loose end we are playing in the Scotia Bar on Sunday at 4.00pm.
blues devil
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 pm

Cool, I got nothing planned for Sunday, I will pass by and catch the show.
JakeyVimto
Regular

Return to Blues Harp