Martin 000-28EC Serial numbers?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Martin 000-28EC Serial numbers?

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Maybe someone here can help....i'm considering buying a Martin 000-28EC. The seller claims it's a 1996 vintage.

Can anyone advise a resource to check Marting serial numbers? Alternatively, can anyone advise how the serial number can be deciphered to determine year of production?

Thanks in advance.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Re: Martin 000-28EC Serial numbers?

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Google "Martin serial numbers."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:47 pm

No joy from Google...:(
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby michaelm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Martin used serial numbers 570435 to 592930 in 1996.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/mart ... umbers.htm

HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:30 pm

I got plenty of joy from Google. Look here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Martin+s ... illa:en-US:
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:02 am

Damn, Martin serial numbers are confusing. Just random numbers haha.

I think the only company on the planet whose serial numbers make sense is Epiphone. They're easy to tell.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rob Brown » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:28 pm

wanderingyankee wrote:Maybe someone here can help....i'm considering buying a Martin 000-28EC. The seller claims it's a 1996 vintage.

Can anyone advise a resource to check Marting serial numbers? Alternatively, can anyone advise how the serial number can be deciphered to determine year of production?

Thanks in advance.

I just have to jump in here. Hope you got the serial number thing worked out. I had looked at the 000-28EC for several years. I played the guitar several times in stores. I really can't judge guitar sound in a store. Even though I'm a big Clapton fan, both the cost and a general feeling that signature guitars are somewhat of a gimmick kept me from seriously considering buying one. A few months ago I came across a used one in a Guitar Center. I had another Martin acoustic I wasn't playing often and worked a trade for that and some cash. Best decision I ever made on an acoustic. I absolutely love the 000-28EC. I love the sound. I love the shorter neck and can easily bend 12's on that guitar. I love the extra width at the nut.
Have I told you how much I love that guitar? The sound when I play it is the best! I never thought any guitar would make me a better player but I constantly feel like the 000-28EC has improved my playing, maybe because it sounds so good to me or maybe something about the neck width or length. I don't really care. I'll never part with that guitar! I look forward at the end of the day to setting it in my lap and making music. It feels so good. Guitar sound is totally subjective. Find what pleases you, I did. It just might be a 000-28EC for you too.
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Hey Rob,

You and I are very much alike. I am generally skeptical of the recent pricing surge of "artist" guitars. Gibson in particular seems to issue a new "artist inspired" guitar every week at ridiculous prices. I'm not against these guitars per se, just the crazy premiums they seem to command. In fact, I have a Fender SRV Artist. I bought it new at Sam Ash, White Plains, NY in 1992 for $900. Still have it and love it.

I've always liked the 000-28's but, skeptical of the premium attached to the EC models. I recently played one at Wunjo's on Denmark Street in London (Denmark Street is to London what 48th Street is to NYC) and immediately tried to do a swap for a National Western D I own. My National is still on consignment there ( http://www.wunjoguitars.com/index.php?sid=9# ). The 000-28EC has since been sold

Meanwhile, I have sorted the serial number question and bought the guitar. It's a 2004 000-28EC. Pretty much mint condition. Got it on Evil-bay. I paid £1,400 (about $2,200) for it. I had to drive into the countryside north of London and meet the seller in this remote pub..it was like a scene out of "American Werewolf in London". The strings were rusty and the action was HIGH!!

I brought her to my luthier (talented luthier/guitarbuilder/guitarist by the name of Trevor Dean..http://www.youtube.com/user/BlakeandDean. My kids call him the guitar wizard because of his long white wizardly hair and beard!). His first assesment was that the guitar had hardly been played. He went on to say that the guitar appeared to have never been set up. He stoned the frets for me, replaced the saddle, lowered the action and set the intonation.

This guitar is an absolute JOY to play. I seem to be able to play things on her that can't be done on other guitars. Plus, the sound is truly AMAZING! She's sounds good both with fingers and fingerpicks.

I've done a few sound tests with my wife and friends...non musicians. They can all instantly pick and prefer the 000-28 to my other acoustics.

I think this guitar is keeper. Can't imagine I will ever sell her.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby Rob Brown » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Yank, well it seems we're brothers in arms, swinging the same ax in a musical Valhalla! I got an unsolicited opinion on the sound from a working bass player friend whose opinion I respect. He's not a real acoustic guitar fan but immediately commented on the 000-028EC's sound as superb with unreal projection for the small body.

Sound is such a subjective thing and often described in vague metaphorical terms. One characteristic I hear from that guitar I don't have a handy metaphor for, but in plain language, I hear each tone with more separation and clarity, when strumming or picking several notes at the same time. And, the quality of the individual tones is exceptionally pleasing to my ears. I think this may be why I feel this guitar makes me a better player. I really like what I hear.

Your wandering took you to a place I hope to visit again. I worked for two weeks in Camberley in Surrey County in the late 70's. It was a business trip but I took my wife. We had a great time and would both like to visit again when work didn't interfere with doing the tourist thing. I'm 62, close to retiring, and in very good health, so I just may wander across the Atlantic soon myself.
Cheers!
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 pm

This thread piqued my interest in the Martin 000-28EC, so last saturday while at Elderly I walked into the Martin room. I found and played this..
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-5047.htm
For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination. The tone or the projection didn't strike me as that different from several other guitars. Now I suppose compared to new I guess this would be a bargain price for this Martin. The darker tone seems a little dark but one thing I did notice is the tuners still have the casting separations on the butterbeans. Seems to me for such a pricey unit those should have been removed prior to plating.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Rob Brown » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:34 pm

birddog wrote:This thread piqued my interest in the Martin 000-28EC, so last saturday while at Elderly I walked into the Martin room. I found and played this..
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/10U-5047.htm
For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination. The tone or the projection didn't strike me as that different from several other guitars. Now I suppose compared to new I guess this would be a bargain price for this Martin. The darker tone seems a little dark but one thing I did notice is the tuners still have the casting separations on the butterbeans. Seems to me for such a pricey unit those should have been removed prior to plating.

Wally

Well, the only thing that surprises me in this post is the characterization of the tone as "dark". But really even that shouldn't surprise me. Is there any guitar electric, acoustic, old, new, cheap or expensive about which you won't hear *every* possible opinion? Yours is as valid as mine because it's how you perceive the sound. Some characteristics of sound are measurable but how or why any specific person feels the way they do about it will never be quantifiable. You're lucky if you have an acoustic that does for you what this one does for me.
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Sorry Rob
probably didn't quite make myself clear, I was talking about the color. The dark toner used on the finish. The sound wasn't dark, I just didn't find so totally remarkable campared to hunreds of other guitars at Elderly. Guess maybe there just to darn many there to sample.
Yes I found one (at the moment) I'm playing that is doing it for me, for a fraction of the cost.
10-15 years ago I probably woulda gone for it when the money was really flowing, these days it just has to many directions to go.
On another note, when my playing is good enough to justify it well maybe...

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Rob Brown » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:45 pm

birddog wrote:Sorry Rob
probably didn't quite make myself clear, I was talking about the color. The dark toner used on the finish. The sound wasn't dark, I just didn't find so totally remarkable campared to hunreds of other guitars at Elderly. Guess maybe there just to darn many there to sample.
Yes I found one (at the moment) I'm playing that is doing it for me, for a fraction of the cost.
10-15 years ago I probably woulda gone for it when the money was really flowing, these days it just has to many directions to go.
On another note, when my playing is good enough to justify it well maybe...

Wally

Now, that's just funny. Yeah, it is a dark wood tone. I ran across Elderly on the Internet when I was shopping for a better violin. You're lucky you are close enough to visit and try the instruments.
Rob Brown
Regular

Postby The Saint » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:46 am

I recently found that some manufacturers recycle their serial numbers every 10 years. Very dis-heartening fact if you are looking for a date from an unknown guitar. I recently looked up a Yamaha and was given the date of November 4, in one of 3 years, 1989, 1999, or 2009. That last one was very confusing. But the truth of the matter is that my original reciept of the newly bought instrument is dated March, 1980. The same month I came home from 3 months working in Ventura Calif. and had the cash to buy her, my first guitar.
The Saint
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 pm

So it was actually '79.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues