Compression Pedal.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Compression Pedal.

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:04 pm

I have a question for everyone. I bought the Fender Roadworn Series 60's Strat. No I have 2 others, both very new. When Using the compressor pedal with the newer ones, i dont get a hum. The guitars have noiseless pickups. But Ive noticed with the Road worn, When I hit the compressor pedal and it comes on, there is INCREASED buzz. No I know some noise is to be expected because the pickups arent noiseless, but when the pedal is turned on, the noise is worse. Any ideas why this happens?
Crossfire
Regular

Re: Compression Pedal.

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Sounds like you paid extra for defects. Enjoy!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Crossfire wrote: But Ive noticed with the Road worn, When I hit the compressor pedal and it comes on, there is INCREASED buzz. No I know some noise is to be expected because the pickups arent noiseless, but when the pedal is turned on, the noise is worse. Any ideas why this happens?

Compression boosts quiet sounds and lowers loud sounds.

So when you hit that compression that little bit of hum gets boosted.

It's not nice is it? but that's the problem with single coils!

allanlummox wrote:Sounds like you paid extra for defects. Enjoy!

I thought Roadworns were quite cheap anyway? I'm sure over here they're about £600 ish?
Bournio
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Looking at Musicians Friend, you pay a bit extra for the scratches. Why give a sucker an even break?

Kind of wondering what Crossfire THOUGHT the compressor would do when he bought it.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Crossfire » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:47 pm

allanlummox wrote:Looking at Musicians Friend, you pay a bit extra for the scratches. Why give a sucker an even break?

Kind of wondering what Crossfire THOUGHT the compressor would do when he bought it.

Excuse me? I bought the guitar because it plays great. I could care less about the "wear".
Secondly, Ive had the compression pedal for 2 years. No problems. I know what it does. Was just a little surprised when I plugged the "new" guitar in, there was more noise. Why do you feel the need to be condescending?
Crossfire
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Because I'm just a grumpy sort of person. Never mind. Have a ball!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:26 pm

Crossfire, Lummo ain't condescending....he's DIFFERENT. The doctor makes him spend most of his time in his cell; Dan refers to it as his recording booth, but those of us who have known him for awhile know that it is really a small padded cell. He'd love to use effects pedals but there's no room for them in his ce.. er, recording room.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

HEY! I ...umm...

WHERE'S MY DOLLY?

(Begins to cuddle a truly "reliced", stringless no name acoustic from about 1920 - with a funny smell)

Seriously, I'm a very opinionated person who USUALLY edits his outbursts.
If I said half of what I think, I'd be a VERY lonely person. And Jeffl has a surprisingly generous personality - also revealed over years of contact.

On the other hand - a "Roadworn" strat. Snicker.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Thank God you can write and sing, Dan! BTW, the most expensive delay pedal I own became the "red headed stepchild" I keep locked in the closet. I think many of us have bought gear that turned out to be less than perfect. I've noticed that many bands tolerate a larger amount of hum and buzz in their gear than seems normal. I have to admit that I tend to steer away from harp amps that hum too much, mostly 'cuz I'm not very gear savvy. I'm stuck with what the gear gives me 'cuz I'm too ignorant to be able to overcome it with any tweaking.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 pm

The Roadworn series is based of a 60s series strat right? I just bought one of those middle pickups. They ARE noisy as hell man and NOT reversed wound so you get that swampy tone (whatever the HELL that means, I still can't figure it out but I'm going to repeat it anyway cuz it sounds sooo cooool.)

I got it for like $15 used. Its a good pickup but I play through a compressor too and the two DO NOT like each other. You can't get around that noise.

I think they should make a new Fender series called the "House Worn" or "Garage Worn", or the "Hack Job Strat". They would feature bumps, knicks, bad dremmeling, quick fixes, bad solder jobs, screwdriver holes, and the best ever "Home Relic Job Strat". Basically a Squier that comes with a roll of sandpaper and a chisel :)
bignick
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Oh, Man! And I thought I was one of the cynical ones and you guys were the warm and fuzzies. Now I'm feeling almost sympathetic. (OK, that's it, I'm over it). Must be the weather or something.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm

bignick wrote:I think they should make a new Fender series called the "House Worn" or "Garage Worn", or the "Hack Job Strat". They would feature bumps, knicks, bad dremmeling, quick fixes, bad solder jobs, screwdriver holes, and the best ever "Home Relic Job Strat".

Last edited by CashWiley on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Cash, your picture isn't working for me...
Bournio
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Noiseless pickups are impervious to 60 cycle hum and most extraneous electrical line noise...(some might argue - impervious to tone as well, but i do digress)...
Normal Strat single coils are susceptible to 60 cycle hum and extraneous electrical line noise
I'm betting you have your compressor set up to beyond unity, i.e. - an increase in gain.
With an increase in gain comes an increase in threshold noise by a similar/proportional factor as the gain increase - increase the gain by 1.5 and you can expect around a 50% increase in noise or there abouts... As such, noise that's almost not heard without the pedal becomes very noticable with the pedal engaged. You can try using better cables, shielding the guitar better, and checking what else could be entering into your electrical line - neon lights? Something that's powering a transfomer (tv, stereo, etc)....
If you love the sound of your RW Strat except the extra noise, consider (not cheap but absolutely effective) one of these:

http://www.fralinpickups.com/bpssc.asp

John Suhr designed it
Not cheap, but it does work wonders!

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues