Non blues local gigs - Superstar plays slide!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Non blues local gigs - Superstar plays slide!

Postby maxx england » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:43 pm

The community music group is now moving on , and we have a charity fundraiser on the 26th at 20:30 at the Onward Club and then at 16:30 on the 11th of July, we take the stage in our local Music In The Park. They've come up with a dynamite solution to clearing the park after the event is over - the last act on stage, about 20:30, will be hip hop! You couldn't do it faster with riot clubs and rottweilers :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Non blues local gigs - Superstar plays slide!

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Shows on the calender...gotta love it.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Ace! All the best for it Maxx! If i was in the right area I'd come down for at least one of those shows!
Bournio
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Looking forward to it all, as I said, not much blues but I can inject a bit of the Feel into it all. Lummo's heard Red House, we've just added Cocaine to the set which will have Wayne playing the solo, I'll just do the rhythm. One odd little thing we're having to do is not play Proud Mary straight after Midnight Hour, the intros we're using are too similar and we keep tripping up on what we're actually supposed to be playing :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:55 pm

maxx england wrote: One odd little thing we're having to do is not play Proud Mary straight after Midnight Hour, the intros we're using are too similar and we keep tripping up on what we're actually supposed to be playing :mrgreen:

Know that feeling... one group I played with we used to do Brown Sugar or was it Pride and Joy and Rockin' all over the world... but we couldn't play them next to each other cos we'd get confused and start playing the wrong progressions!
Bournio
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:38 am

Get on it Maxx, sounds like a good time!

I agree with Bournio, if you weren't such a southerner, Id definitely catch those shows!

Actually be ready for an email in a couple months, once I get these july gigs played, Stomphouse Sauce will have a properly stocked myspace page and could be looking to maybe venture down to the barbarian lands that you live in for some gigs if you can recommend anywhere...
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:58 pm

Glad you weren't there, the sound on stage was abysmal, we fluffed all over the place. Fortunately we have rehearsed to death, and we have the background of playing for clients in the Mental Health loop and changing key/song/direction on the fly, so we got away with it.

The gig on the 11th in the park will be better, for the simple reason the sound is in the hands of a pro crew, and we'll be more positive in ourselves about amp placement on stage and what our volumes will be.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:47 pm

The park gig, what a nightmare - we actually did OK considering one major drawback. Moss, the bass player was with a broken down van 150 miles away with two hours to go. So I set the Roland to 10 on everything except overdrive, volume and master and put the Strat switch onto neck. I don't know what other guitars will do when asked to act as a bass substitute, but 13s in open E and a good amp, we got away with it.

This is Lummo's amp, on loan, and I was deeply glad of it. Everybody else seems to have the idea that you need loadsa pedals taking loadsa time to set up - and what do many of them end up sounding like - got it in one, a simple, old fashioned workhorse Roland that kicks out a glorious noise.

We did a 40 minute set to help cover for a no show band instead of the expected 30, then we had another 20 later on to fill another hole in the show. Didn't get to do Red House, but Cocaine and Going Down hit the spot with the audience (mostly players & bands) that hung on at the end when the afternoon's promised rain finally made an appearance about 7:00 pm.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JakeyVimto » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:39 am

Its never easy, is it?

Weirdly, its the dodgy gigs where you have to think on your feet are usually really good for you.

13s? Are you not finding them a bit light? :-D
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 pm

JakeyVimto wrote:13s? Are you not finding them a bit light? :-D

I have a mate that considers the 011's on my guitar heavy :S
Bournio
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Way back when, some metal guy handed me his guitar - with one of those ludicrous tailpieces, locking tuners, strung with 8's.

I made a chord, strummed, and that 8 just broke. Like a piece of hair.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 am

Wow. that's stupid thickness... I don't think it is actually that far off for very thick hair... isn't about 6thou for people with really thick hair?

Hmmm I wounder what my guitar would sound like strung with 006's...
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:18 pm

There are a LOT of pages discussing the thickness of human hair. First one I found using inches said it averages .004".
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Oh fair enough... i'll order the 4thou's then... I shouldn't've gotten a haircut... I reckon it'd be long enough now!
Bournio
Regular

Return to About Gigs