Super Champ !

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Super Champ !

Postby thebluesbox » Sun May 31, 2009 5:26 pm

Im building a combo with the wiring done from a Canadian supplier of mine, its a super champ, wired like a 5f1 with a beefed up transformer adding more watts and running a 12' alnico speaker.

I have some sample recordings of the components out on the table, the actual amp cab isnt built yet. Check out the gritt this baby throws out. With the cab its gonna be even more smokin!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

I was building combo's out of vintage bogen chassis, but they are getting hard to come by, so I sought out to find an alternative and this is definitely it! Its got that vintage vibe, that gritty crunchy smoking sound we all love.

I have this one sold and in the building process. My supplier is already asking me if I need anymore :-) If anyone is interested let me know, he can produce these to me in a short amount of time.
thebluesbox
Regular

Re: Super Champ !

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 pm

I reckon if I need to ask how much I can't afford it, right?
Ozark Bluesman

Postby thebluesbox » Sun May 31, 2009 7:04 pm

lol, ask yourself if you can afford a hand built custom amplifier.
I can tell you this, my prices are lower than any custom builder around, do a google on a few.
If your really serious PM or email me and we can talk.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:01 pm

Thought I would update with some compelted photos.

thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Good luck with that unit Randy. I doubt you'll be converting any buyers who are considering today's version of the Super Champ... at least for harp, lol. I've played thru the new XD and it's unremarkable for harp. Personally, I hardly play amplified at all anymore, since I'm not gigging or sitting in with bands at all lately-- just the same acoustic jam every week, with the same 8 guys. I sold my '78 Silverface Champ, which I liked for its portability. It was a limited tool, but cuter than a bug's ear and adequate for very small amplified gigs, when mic'ed. I've been really happy with the overall performance of my Valve Special for a 5-watter, mainly due to the oversized cabinet and great low end response. I do think that the 10-20 watt stuff is the most versatile for overdriven harp at moderate volumes. Good job keepin' the wick lit out there.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 pm

thanks jeff, I actually had a buyer for this unit before it was built so I dont need to try and find a buyer whew, I like those kinda deals :-)
Im not trying to dup any amps its just the name I used for it sense it does have the typology layout of the champ and is supped up beyond that of the normal champ, thats just the way it happened. I do plan to build more of these though I really like the sound I got from it, it had the sweetness of a little champ only pumpped up to the next level!
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:34 pm

just an update on the buyers thoughts of this amp.
this one a quote from him is "This is what I have been looking for all of my life in an amp!"

For some people I guess they might have a different opinion because some "know it all's" are just like that and nothing anyone makes could be better than a mass produced Fenders, or a Peavys, or a Epi's.... but I bet most of the people searching and searching trying different mass produced amps here and keyboard amps there, etc. etc. if they got the chance to play one of these amps that I have been building they would flip thier lid !!!

I have been there and done that on the amp search thing, I played them all from little cheap solid state amps, to big Fender's, hoping to stumble onto a cheap alternative to getting something custom built. The buck stopped here on these babies!! I found THE SOUND !!!

I wanna let everybody know......

I FOUND THE SOUND !
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:39 pm

just curious randy- how would that stand up on stage with 2 or 3 guitars blastin?
jbone1
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:49 pm

well as with (any) smaller 10 watt amp I assume if they are "BLASTIN". you may have to have the amp mic-ed. If you can play with a moderate group of guys that are not trying to blow the roof off but rather playing together to achieve a nice all around sound and are considerate of each other then you can hang nicely with them im sure it just depends on which situation your in.

If you find yourself in the BLASTIN category I do build bigger amps the 20, 35, or 50 watters would smoke um!
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 pm

I just came across this thread. Thanks for all your replies to my emails about this amp Randy. It looks damn good. You and I will be in contact in a couple months about one of these, I'm certain. :mrgreen:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 am

hey there lefty !
Sure thing buddy its my pleasure to service anyone from the blues forums, I consider them my personal friends.
I look forward to working with you on your build.
thebluesbox
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:24 pm

jbone, many 10-15 watt amps will work on stage for any band if the band mics or line-outs their amps into the mains. I hope I'm not being too elementary, but stage volume and mains volume are 2 different matters. If you're playin' harp through a 10 watt amp all you need is enough volume outa the amp to serve as a monitor behind you. Most singers and guitar players don't want much of the harp in their monitors, in my experience; so you just need enough power to cut through the stage mix for your ears. If the stage volume is too loud, yer all killin' yerselves.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby thebluesbox » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:21 pm

jeffl wrote:If the stage volume is too loud, yer all killin' yerselves.

Your right Jeff and most of the time thats a big problem with bands.
thebluesbox
Regular

Return to Blues Harp