Gibson Les Paul Humbuckers

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Gibson Les Paul Humbuckers

Postby JLHooker » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:14 pm

I have a gibson Les Paul with a 490 in the bridge and a 498 in the bridge. I don't like the 498 much and I am thinking of replacing it with a gibson 490T .Has anyone tried this? If so, how do the two 490's match up?
JL Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Re: Gibson Les Paul Humbuckers

Postby thunda1216 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:28 am

The 490T has the same output as your 490R in the neck position. In my application (an SG), it lacked punch when switching from neck to bridge PU's for leads. It seemed a bit thin for my taste, but I like a higher output in the bridge.
thunda1216
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:04 pm

JLHooker wrote:I have a gibson Les Paul with a 490 in the bridge and a 498 in the bridge. I don't like the 498 much and I am thinking of replacing it with a gibson 490T .Has anyone tried this? If so, how do the two 490's match up?
JL Hooker

I had that set (490R/498T). Too modern-rock sounding for me, especially the bridge. I had a set of pickups wound to replace them and couldn't be happier. HighOrder Pickups. A5/7.8kΩ in the neck, A2/8.2kΩ in the bridge, asymmetric winds between the coils on both.

thunda1216 wrote:I like a higher output in the bridge.

I like low output pickups and turning the amp up.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby thunda1216 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 am

rustyslide wrote:
JLHooker wrote:I have a gibson Les Paul with a 490 in the bridge and a 498 in the bridge. I don't like the 498 much and I am thinking of replacing it with a gibson 490T .Has anyone tried this? If so, how do the two 490's match up?
JL Hooker

I had that set (490R/498T). Too modern-rock sounding for me, especially the bridge. I had a set of pickups wound to replace them and couldn't be happier. HighOrder Pickups. A5/7.8kΩ in the neck, A2/8.2kΩ in the bridge, asymmetric winds between the coils on both.

thunda1216 wrote:I like a higher output in the bridge.

I like low output pickups and turning the amp up.

I like the higher output in the bridge so when I switch to it for a solo, it boosts a bit

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:07 am

thunda1216 wrote:I like the higher output in the bridge so when I switch to it for a solo, it boosts a bit

I use all three positions for rhythm and lead work. I use the volume knob for a boost. :D
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 am

rustyslide wrote:I use the volume knob for a boost. :D

But if you're on full volume on the neck pickup and switch to the bridge pickup (which has the same output), then where do you go? :shock:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Turn up the amp.

But really, turn the guitar's volume down, make the amp sound good there, with the proper levels, etc, and then you have a boost ready to go.

Different strokes for different folks.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Exactly. Set the amp up so the volume, tone and gain are just a little more than you think you want with the guitar controls all the way up, then control it with the guitar. Separate volume controls for the pickups will give you your boost when you flip the pickup switch.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 pm

rustyslide wrote:Turn up the amp.

But really, turn the guitar's volume down, make the amp sound good there, with the proper levels, etc, and then you have a boost ready to go.

I don't know why but I've played strats that wouldn't sound good if I roll the volume down with the guitar volume control but it sounded OK if I used a volume pedal to do the same thing. I figured a pot is a pot. I don't know why the big difference.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Ed Boyd wrote:
rustyslide wrote:Turn up the amp.

I don't know why but I've played strats that wouldn't sound good if I roll the volume down with the guitar volume control but it sounded OK if I used a volume pedal to do the same thing. I figured a pot is a pot. I don't know why the big difference.

The volume control on the guitar not only reduces the volume but rolls of the treble frequencies as well when turned down.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 pm

thunda1216 wrote:The volume control on the guitar not only reduces the volume but rolls of the treble frequencies as well when turned down.

Depends on the guitar and how its tone pots are wired, but in general, yeah. My Les Pauls don't have this problem.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:24 pm

If you don't have a capacitor bypassing a volume pot, you always lose treble. How much and at what rolloff frequency depends on the parameters of the circuit. Usually it's not a problem, but often you can hear it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Surely getting a brighter tone for solo's isnt that bad a thing though?

Give it a bit more cut in the mix so you stand out when you do your thang, then roll down the volume and go back into rhythm?
Bournio
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues