New Band Opp.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

New Band Opp.

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Well, I talked to the frontman for this new blues band I'm tryin' out for on Wednesday.... I like the setup. They still have their piano/organ player,and bassist, from their last band (a blues/rock cover band), as well as the frontman/singer/guitarist; they haven't found a drummer yet, but the rehearsals start Wednesday, and he's not callin' 'em rehearsals yet,which I like. Seems we're just gonna do some jammin' to see how the fit is, and they cancelled their last gigs with the old band, so there's no pressure to throw somethin' together just to fill a bill (whew!). The bandleader assures me that the farthest they're gonna get from the blues is 60's R&B, and that their keyboarder is a veteran with years of playin' with harpers under his belt (I don't think the harper has to actually be under his belt). We can stay in the studio until we get it right,before we start takin' gigs, and their ultimate goal is small venue concerts, and the instrument mix is stayin' guitar/bass/drums/keyboards/harp- so I think I'm gonna like it. I've only sat in with these guys once, and I think I'm on the right track here. Wish me luck,gang- I've been lookin' for an opportunity like this around here for a long time. There's only 4 working blues bands in all of Southeastern Minnesota.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: New Band Opp.

Postby bosco » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:25 pm

guitar/bass/drums/keyboards/harp- so I think I'm gonna like it.

That's the classic post-war Chicago lineup that produced so many classics. You gotta love that!

Wish me luck, gang-

You don't need luck Bubba, you just needed the opportunity. I'm sure you'll be fine. Break a leg, brother.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:27 pm

Good Luck Bubba !!
Do Good Like Ya Should
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:40 pm

>

>

>
>You don't need luck Bubba, you just needed the opportunity.
>I'm sure you'll be fine. Break a leg, brother.
>
>Bosco
Bosco: I'm excited about improvin',Bro'- I jus' can't wait 'til they come up with a tune I can't play, so that I have to build the skills to do it. I'm really lookin' forward to pressin' myself on this! I hope they're fun- they seem like it. I'm the only non-physician in the band,so far. (And,I guess I'm not officially "in" yet, but I've played with their last harper, and I'm guessin' it was partly his recommendation that got me in, cuz I've only sat with these guys once. Maybe that was enough,though).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:53 pm

(I
>don't think the harper has to actually be under his belt).
>

If you hear the sound of a Zipper being un-zipped,,,,RUN !!!!

LOL !!!

Seriously,,,,,,,,RUN !!!

Anyway,

Best of Luck to ya with this new project.

Keep us posted,,,,,,,and Remember,,

"Luck" is when Preparation meets Opportunity.
grady
Regular

Postby watertore » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:57 pm

Have fun Bubba! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:17 pm

Thanks for the support,yoos guys; I really also hope that this outfit will be open to me bringin' in some of the tunes you guys have written that I like- I've been itchin' to try summa Boz,Grady's,The Twosome's, and some other tunes in a band format. I wuz listenin' to Mousey's "Hometown Blues" on the way into work today,thinkin' how a Hammond would sound behind that, and I think it'd be cool to try summa Grady's more popular tunes,if we could pull 'em off without wreckin' 'em. I'll getcher permission on the specific tunes,when the time comes. I really wanna try "Stones in my Passway",too. Still gotta find a drummer,though....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:19 pm

Grady beat me to it. Keep it above the belt!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Best o luck Bubba! Sounds exciting.
nizer
Regular

Postby richard » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:15 am

Good stuff, mate!
good luck.

Richard
richard
Regular

Postby cas » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:09 am

Good for you Bubba, best of luck! And you can do any of my songs you want to....although you might sound funny singing "Hard Headed Man".

Carol:P
cas

Postby jeffl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:46 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-05 AT 11:47 AM (EST)] Well, the first practice last nite was a big success! This band could be real good! The frontman is a good leader- runs a tight rehearsal without being too friggin' "official",communicates the things he wants real well, even on the fly. All the musicians are strong, and older veterans,so the whole thing was very smooth. They had a drummer there, and I thought he was one of their buddies,jus'sittin' in to help 'em out, cuz he and the bass player really had it goin'; then I found out at the end of the nite that the drummer was responding to the tryout ad, and had never played with any of 'em before. He's a blues drummer,though- no doubt about that.Their playlist is aimed right at me, and I got my number called immediately and often last nite. I'll get alotta chance to comp behind guitar and keyboard solos too, which is what I really enjoy. This could be good, gang!(When the nite was over, the frontman looked at me and said,"Practice is next Wednesday again", so I guess I'm hired.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmouse » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:19 pm

Hope it works out for you Bubba, congratulations mate.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:40 pm

Allright! Sounds like a goer...

It's great that you are that excited about the prospects. I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

A bit different scenario when my current band formed last year. Myself and the bass and rhythym players were all in the previous band together so we had faith in our competency. The hitch was that the new lead vocal/guitar was extremely talented and experienced and the drummer was green as could be. We all prayed that we could keep the new frontman around until the drummer seasoned and we jelled as a group. Nine months later and no worries.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:19 pm

The bandleader had a real good playin' set-up in his basement,too: a low stage built in downstairs (mostly I think to keep the equipment off the cement basement floor), a coupla monitors scattered around, a rack of guitars built into a wall,drums,PA,&recording equip. Home brewed beer in the frig,too! You could hear good-I never felt lost,even though I was just wingin' it.Those guys play my style of blues. I'd like to take 'em back a little further in time though- and I'm hopin' I can get some Howlin' Wolf,Little Walter,Muddy Waters,etc. added in eventuallly. ONE THING that the experience really brought home to me was community element of being a musician; I jumped in during the middle of the first tune - easy like..., and when it was over, we introduced ourselves, and it wuz jus' like I'd been playin' with 'em for months,or longer. The humor was the same, and the fun of gettin' it together was the same as you encounter everywhere. And, from the band's standpoint, they were playin' with a new drummer,and harper, but everything just flowed together,all nite long.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs