Picks again

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Picks again

Postby sawgrass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm

I know this "PICK" topic has been beat into the ground in the past but I was wondering if anyone has tried the custom thumb pick by Red Bear Trading Company, the one endorsed by "Little Brother"? ( http://www.redbeartrading.com/thumbpicks.html)

Also, has anyone gravitated over to "Propik F-Tones" and found them to be an advantage when playing a resonator? (the one that allows much of the fingertip exposed)?

And Bob Brozeman is a supporter of plastic fingerpicks over the nickel or brass ones (I think I read that on his website). Has anyone found plastic to be their favorite?

Any input from forum members on this topic is appreciated.
sawgrass
Regular

Re: Picks again

Postby ricochet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 pm

My favorites for a good while have been Ernie Ball's Picky Picky Picks and the extra heavy pearloid Golden Gate thumbpick. But the thickest Dunlop nickel silver picks work better for banging really hard on the strings, and Dunlop plastic picks are the least likely to go flying off at high velocity when you do that. Heat them in boiling water, jam them on your fingers and stick them under cold running water if you'd like to keep some circulation going in your fingertips.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 pm

I use Propik F-tones (large) on my index and middle fingers (LOVE them. the dual adjustable blade grips make fitting them a lot easier), and a Fred Kelly Slick Pick on my thumb. For me anyway, that's the ideal set-up. I like the sound they produce, I can control dynamics, I can dig in and generate volume, and I'm getting to the point where I can generate speed as well. They stay on fairly well too (admittedly - when its really hot out and my fingers/hands perspire, I tape the Propiks in place - learned from Eric Sardinas and Ani Difranco)...

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 pm

I like heavy, stable picks.

For years now I've been using Golden Gate heavy thumbpicks , plastic, and brass Acri finger picks. The bigger Acri pick fits over the finger, much more comfortable than tighter, smaller picks.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kwill » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 pm

For about the last 3 years I've been using the plastic Alaska picks exclusively. I like the tone I get from them, both on my Nationals and on my acoustics. And, because of the way they are worn I can use my fingers to strum as well as pick.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sawgrass » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:15 pm

I've tried the Alaska picks and never could get used to them. I finally grew my nails a bit longer and found that they work the best for me when playing acoustic. Now that I'm into a resonator and playing slide, I'm finding that fingerpicks are the best way to go. I have many decades in the construction business, so with BIG fingers, I find it a challenge to get a comfortable fit, especially on a thumbpick, that's why I was curious about the Red Bear Trading custom pick. It has a tortis pick coupled to a metal thumb-ring that is supposed to be comfortable and stay on when your digging in. Tortis was my favorite pick back in my flatpickin bluegrass days, so it's kind of a tone attraction too. At $35 a pop, they ain't cheap, so i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.
Thanks to all for your input on this redundant topic and good tip, RICO, on heating the plastic thumpicks for a custom fit!

Slidin' in the grass
sawgrass
Regular

Postby gaucho » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey Sawgrass, I have a Propik thumb pick that looks very similar to that. Adjustable metal band with a low profile derlin pick. It's very comfy and I love the profile of it. They are much cheaper and you could at least try one out before sinking the $35 or so for a custom. Here's what they look like:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PK43D-S.htm
gaucho
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 pm

sawgrass wrote:Has anyone found plastic to be their favorite?

When I first started playing, I tried out fingerpicks for a while. I didn't really like them and threw them out. Now that I think about it, I was using them on a classical (my only guitar at the time) so maybe that's why I didn't like them. :?: Anyways, I tried metal and plastic, and personally, plastic sounded a lot better to my ears. However, no picks (except for thin nylon ones) sound good on classical guitars. Maybe I oughta try fingerpicks again.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:31 pm

I tried several but not some of the ones mentioned, just can't get used to them for acoustic fingerpicking anyways.
The best luck was with a plastic tortise thumb pick.
Fingerpicks, forget it. Metal of plastic didn't seem to matter.
Thought I could get more volume, but lost the feel.
Then I saw the Fred Kelly finger picks in the Elderly catalog, looked like the ticket.
Makes them in a polycarbonate for bright sound and delrin for more natural sound.
Didn't like either sound and they didn't stay on either.
Maybe I'll have too start experimenting again, worse case scenario is I'll have more picks for the pile.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:53 am

My biggest gripe with fingerpicks is that I could never be accurate with them. But I didn't try them for very long. I wish I had one laying around so I could go try it again.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby sawgrass » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:10 pm

That thumbpick looks very similar to the red bear I was looking at, with about a 90% discount! Maybe i'll order that instead.
sawgrass
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Hmmm...
I happen to be going to Elderly tomorrow, (I haven't figured out if its a curse living a half hour away, but a heroin habit may be cheaper that some visits) I'll have to add a couple of these to my list. Honestly I will only take $50 with me and leave all credit cards home, self imposed disipline ! :cry:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:22 pm

sawgrass wrote:Thanks to all for your input on this redundant topic and good tip, RICO, on heating the plastic thumbpicks for a custom fit!

Seems like I learned that from Dan. Pass it along.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:52 pm

i think it is good to repeat topics like this once in a while because things and tastes change.for years i used dunlop .025 fingerpicks because you can get them anywhere.then i started using them on my first two fingers and plastic on my third.the first two are almost interchangeable,the ring finger not.

not too long ago i started using brass acri picks for my first two fingers and couldn't be happier.i still use plastic on my third finger,or sometimes play without.

i generally use a white dunlop thumbpick,but use any thumb pick really.i have lots of thumbpicks with no brand marking.

i do shape thumb picks and plastic finger picks in hot water,which i learned in a guitar player magazine article in the seventies .the article was about merle travis i believe.that technique was discussed in pickin' magazine often if i recall correctly.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby sawgrass » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:45 pm

I did spring for the $35 red bear trading thumbpick with the tortis edge and I'm very happy with it. It's very comfortable and has a perfect length for me. I hear a lot of good things about the brass Acri finger picks from forum members. I think that I will eventually try them too. BTW, I have always played with just 2 fingerpicks, a habit I got into many years ago when playing banjo. Are any of you playing with 3 fingerpicks? (On first, index and ring finger?)
sawgrass
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar