wish my heart was built like a cadillac dashboad

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

wish my heart was built like a cadillac dashboad

Postby watertore » Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 am

Hi all: recorded this solo harp tune this afternoon with a stock low F marine band.

I wish my heart was built like a cadillac dashboad.

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: wish my heart was built like a cadillac dashboad

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:46 pm

nice song walter!perhaps a link directly to the song?easy enough to find on your page though.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:52 pm

Yeah, I like that idea Walter. I'm old enough to remember those old chrome studded dashboards on the GM cars from the 50's and 60's. It'd be cool to have an amp made outa the odometer housing from one of those old beasts. I betcha the ambulance guys saw some pretty messed up faces from people slammin' into those things without their seatbelts on. I like those low harps too; I've got a low F, but I hardly ever use it, 'cuz I play with all these acoustic guitar players and those low notes get lost in the clutter frequently. We don't play much in F or C either.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:44 am

thanks for listening guys! The low harps are great when you can control the volume situation. I have to get real close to the mic when I use them. Take care. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Walter, I was recently given a fully sealed wood combed Seydel 1847 in Low Eb as a present and these are the loudest stock low pitched harps I've ever played, and the only thing louder are my custom Marine Bands in Low Eb and Low F. Not much breath force necessary to do anything. The bottom cover plate has a little extra "indentation" to prevent the draw reed in hole #1 from banging against the cover plate, which is a smart move and the only way those covers are reshaped that way fro those harps are all from custom harps.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:44 pm

barbequebob wrote:Walter, I was recently given a fully sealed wood combed Seydel 1847 in Low Eb as a present and these are the loudest stock low pitched harps I've ever played, and the only thing louder are my custom Marine Bands in Low Eb and Low F. Not much breath force necessary to do anything. The bottom cover plate has a little extra "indentation" to prevent the draw reed in hole #1 from banging against the cover plate, which is a smart move and the only way those covers are reshaped that way fro those harps are all from custom harps.

That sounds like a great gift! If I hit the lottery I will try some custom harps pronto. Getting $750 worth of bushman harps/reed plates from the harmonica contest, will keep me in harps for probably the rest of my life......... Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:11 pm

I'll tell you this, if you're expecting the Seydel 1847's or any stock harp to be as good as a custom, no way, but these are far beyond most stock harps. They use the tightest reed slot tolerances around for stock instruments, bar none, tho nowhere near as tight as you'd find on a custom and the tuning on them is a comprimise tuning that is essentially Just Intonation, but what is comprimised is the tuning of 5 & 9 draw. In 7 Limit, those two are tuned 29-31 cents flat, in 19 Limit, those two are 3 cents sharp, but on the Seydels, those are tuned 6 cents flat. The only harps that'll play louder with little breath force needed are custom harps and the wood combed version was the first stock one on the market to have a fully sealed comb and now these and the new Marine Band Crossover and the Bends Juke are the only ones with a fully sealed comb out of the factory.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:17 am

for a lot of the low tuned solo stuff i still like my trusty old 12 hole c marine band.i think they're good for the sonny boy bye bye bird kind of sound.

i do have one seydel 1847,the plastic combed one.it is not a low harp,it is a regular A.i like it,but i'm not dying to get more of them either.i'd rather have a lifetime supply of bushmans!

a low tuned F trick i like to do is to split up the plates.put low draw and high draw plates in one harp and low blow in another.so the harp is half low half regular.it is pretty funny,sounds like you're jumping great amount of holes by breathing in and out.it isn't perfect ,as a low harp really should have longer comb slots,but it is fun to mess with.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:18 am

Nice job Walter!!!
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Blues Harp