New Song--Things Go Up

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

New Song--Things Go Up

Postby Rythameen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:43 pm

This is my version of a Seasick Steve song. I posted the link in another part, but thought it would get more traffic here.

If anyone would like to know it was recorded with a Republic steal bodied duolian with 2 Cascade Fathead II ribbon mics into an ART preamp into my Korg D3200. Everything was recorded flat with no EQ or compression. I then took the raw wave files into Pro Tools for mixing and final output into mp3. Everything was recorded in my garage, (waiting for my son to finish college so I can move back into the house :lol: ) I set up facing a wall of cardboard boxes, and hung a blanket behind me over a couple of boom stands..............instant studio. :shock:

The other three songs up there are a lot older and were done before I got my new recording setup.

The link:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=362211
Rythameen
Regular

Re: New Song--Things Go Up

Postby zhyla » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Nice job, sounds pretty faultless to me.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby texas blues » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 am

Excellent! What did you use for the "mississippi drum machine"?

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I layed a towel over an empty guitar case, it didn't have enough bite, so I ended up layering a kick drum sample with it in Pro Tools. I'm really going to have to make or find a decent stomp box.

texas blues wrote:Excellent! What did you use for the "mississippi drum machine"?

Cheers, TB.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Decent stomp box - find a dirt cheap but hopefully robust mic (or use a 50p/c speaker as one, far tougher than a mic) and put it inside any cheap and robust container. Sound quality doesn't come into it, it's a thump noise, that's all. Bolts screwed into it with captive washers can give you a rattle if you want. Lummo's got an electric tambourine I made, you just experiment until you get what you want. You can even fit a volume control if you want.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rythameen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Thanks, some good advice. What about a piezo pickup? At any rate, it looks like a little garage time this weekend. :mrgreen:

maxx england wrote:Decent stomp box - find a dirt cheap but hopefully robust mic (or use a 50p/c speaker as one, far tougher than a mic) and put it inside any cheap and robust container. Sound quality doesn't come into it, it's a thump noise, that's all. Bolts screwed into it with captive washers can give you a rattle if you want. Lummo's got an electric tambourine I made, you just experiment until you get what you want. You can even fit a volume control if you want.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Piezo's'd probablt work, but don't bother with a proper pick up. buy a 50p buzzer(i stole mine from school) Wire it to a jack. plug it into an amp. i used blue tack to stick it to owt.

I think i google'd "Contact microphone DIY Cheap" or something but i'm a bit drunk and sleepy, so I'll check in the morning and update this.
Bournio
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 am

Yes, a piezo buzzer from Radio Crap will do the trick. You have to crack it open gently so as not to damage the piezo element (which is encased in brass).

I recently found a nice piezo element (link) that you can buy from Mouser for a couple bucks and is a bit smaller and I think does a better job at reproducing sound. It's also MUCH easier to solder up since it has proper leads. I have one on my cello right now and the results are disturbingly good.
zhyla
Site Admin

Return to Recording