Neck Pick up for Epi LP

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Neck Pick up for Epi LP

Postby FumbleFingers63 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Wanting to replace my neck PU on my Epi LP with something to get a little more strat sound for some blues stuff. It shouId mesh well with a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position. I play mostly 70's,80's rock but have started messing around playing some SRV, Ten Years After, and Cream and would like to get a little closer to that sound w/o getting a strat. Had one before and it just didn't feel right. Same thing with the SG. I've looked at the DiMarizo PAF and Duel Sound humbucker specs. Noticed that DiMarzio also makes a Bluesbucker PU but don't know anyone who has played with one. I will be playing though a Marshall mini stack here another week. Thanks for any suggestions or successes.
Last edited by FumbleFingers63 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FumbleFingers63
Regular

Re: Neck Pick up for Epi LP

Postby texas blues » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:39 pm

For all the things that you want to do there is no such animal especially if you are going to be playing it through a Marshall mini. A P90 p/u would be the closest thing but you would have to route the p/u cavity out to fit it in. In an ideal world you would have a strat and a lester and you'd be covered. For the price of a couple of good p/u's you could pick up a Squier Strat or used MIM Strat.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 pm

You mention cream... I'm fairly sure that Clapton was playing an SG through some big marshall in those days...

If you're after a strat tone, all you can do really is get a humbucker that you can coil tap(I think thats the right term, pull a knob and switch it into single-coil?)

BUT!

Les Pauls and Strats are different beasts. play different feel different. Sound Different. So it'd just be an approximation.

I've gotta agree with Texas. get a Squire or a used strat. Or any other company that makes 3 single coil. 5 way switch guitars.
Bournio
Regular

Postby FumbleFingers63 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I realize I won't be able to hit the sound spot on but like I said before I had a strat and sold it about 6 months ago because it just didn't feel right when I played. Too light? The neck? not sure other than I played it badly. I think guitar playing is avery individual experience and it has to feel right. I am very jealous of musicians that can pick up any guitar and play it like they have played it for years. Thanks for the input though. I may try a Dual Sound since you can switch back and forth with it.
FumbleFingers63
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Maybe drop in a humbucker-sized P90? GFS makes a couple that aren't too bad.

It takes some time to get used to Fender guitars, especially maple fretboards. At least it did for me. But in general, if you can really play an electric guitar you can play any electric guitar.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby texas blues » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 pm

zhyla wrote:Maybe drop in a humbucker-sized P90? GFS makes a couple that aren't too bad.

It takes some time to get used to Fender guitars, especially maple fretboards. At least it did for me. But in general, if you can really play an electric guitar you can play any electric guitar.

I don't want to play devils advocate about the whole Fender Vs. Gibson 'thang but my Strats and Tele have been gathering dust for some time. For me it wasn't about playability so much as tone. I wanted something more meaty and chewier. That being said though, for playing something say..."Day of the Eagle" by Robin Trower...just doesn't sound right without a Strat. On the opposite end of that, Peter Green in recent years has been playing a Strat. His stuff just doesn't sound right with it. Right guitar for the right job.

Fingers, in all seriousness, take my advice with a grain of salt and just do your 'thang. You'll find through all the din of everything something that works for you.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:28 am

zhyla wrote:Maybe drop in a humbucker-sized P90? GFS makes a couple that aren't too bad.

Exactly what I was thinking.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/me90tralp90p.html

Coil tapping is another option. But I'd say just get a Strat. Trying to get the Lester to sound like a Strat is pointless because A) it will never sound exactly like a Strat and B) if you mod it to sound similar to a Strat, it ain't gonna sound like a Lester.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 am

Get a DiMarzio PAF Pro and disconnect the tone control from your neck pickup.

you'll be suprised at what that sounds like.
grady
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues