For the Aussies - Narooma 2009

What about the blues club(s) in your area? Any worth visiting? Blues festivals or events?

For the Aussies - Narooma 2009

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 am

The artist list for Narooma's 'Great Southern Blues and Rockabilly Festival' over the October long weekend is getting longer and better. All you harp players, have a look at this list:
- Charlie Musselwhite
- Collard, Greens & Gravy
- Jim Conway's Big Wheel
- The Detonators

Looks like it will be a good one. Hope the weather is kind - unlike the Byron Blues Festival last Easter or Narooma last year!
MakaInOz
Regular

Re: For the Aussies - Narooma 2009

Postby BluezOldy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Maka,

Hope you don't me dropping in the URL for it here:

http://www.bluesfestival.tv/

Cheers,
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:55 am

Narooma just keeps looking better. In addition to yet more harp players on the program, they will now be having 'The Big Harmonica Super Blowout' !! Details are still scarce as to what this is, but it sure sounds interesting. Harp players or bands featuring harp at Narooma now include:

Charlie Mussellwhite
Collard Greens and Gravy (Ian Collard)
Big Wheel (Jim Conway)
The Backsliders (Brod Smith)
Blues Preachers (Doug Lyons)
Chris Wilson
The Detonators (James Maloney)
Grant Walmsley and the Agents of Peace (Rod Ansell)

And that's just the harp bands! Gonna be a great weekend.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby BluezOldy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Just looked at the ticket prices: these festivals are getting to be awfully expensive when you add in travelling, accommodation etc. if you want to attend more than one or two a year.
BluezOldy
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 am

My favourite festival is Goulburn - its all Aussie blues, its got great, usually small venues, its pretty cheap and its close enough (just over an hour) to drive home to sleep. Byron has some great acts, but tickets are REALLY expensive and transport is difficult. Accommodation prices are through the roof around there - its just a real trendy (=expensive) area.

Narooma's sort of in between. A good mix of Aussie and international acts. Two year's ago Rod Piazza was one of the headline international acts, and I'm always more inclined to go if there's lots of harp acts. I didn't go to Narooma last year, but decided I would this year as I'd missed Charlie Mussellwhite at Byron. That was too hard to get to, too expensive and I was happier to play roadie for my daughter who was playing at the National Folk Festival in Canberra over Easter. Byron bucketted with rain most of the time - it was always in mud, which makes it difficult for everybody.

Narooma's harp focus this year should make it a ripper. Its still not cheap ($225 for a ticket and $100+ room per night unless you camp), but its still cheaper and easier to get to than Byron, and its got all those harp players! Only 2 1/2 months to go!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:24 am

Hi Mak,

Wish I could be there, but I'm eyeing up Goulburn in near future.

chees
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:21 am

Narooma was great!! The weather was a bit 'Woodstock', except there was not enough temperature for naked chicks - just lots of rain and mud!

But what a blast it was. Saturday was probably the pick for me - any day you get to see Jim Conway, The Backsliders (including a couple of numbers with Ian Collard doubling up on harp with Brod Smith), Collard Greens & Gravy, Chris Wilson and Charlie Musselwhite has got to be a good day at the office for a harp player!

Friday night it bucketed down for the entire night, but I really enjoyed Grant Walmsely and the Agents of Peace (good harp player that also played sax) and the Blues Preachers did a really good set - probably the best I've heard from them. On Sunday I really enjoyed Ashleigh Mannix (a nice change of pace - just her and her guitar) and Charlie Musselwhite (again). The Harmonica Review (the last event of the Festival) was a buzz - two old farts (Jim Conway and Chris Wilson) and two youngsters (Joe Turner from Sydney and Fast Eddie xxxx from Melbourne) plus bits of Chris W's band and bits of Big Wheel. They probably only played three songs in an hour - just the two guitarists and four harp players taking turns at the lead lick, backed by bass and drums. Harp-dominant 12bar blues - great fun!

For me the highlight of Narooma didn't include any harp. To see a mosh pit of hundreds just going off is quite a sight, but when the average age is probably 50+, its just amazing. Russell Morris and Brian Cadd played the great Aussie songs of my early youth, back when I was just a lad. Just a real blast, and they still sound great. The audience knew all the words and sang along with everything. Amazing to see such a reception for music that is 40 years old.

Three nights in a row is hard work for an old bloke, but just great fun. Needed a good sleep when I got home. Next for me will probably be at the end of the Festival season - Goulburn Aussie Blues festival in Feb. But the first Sydney Blues Festival is on 23 - 25 October and I just might need to try to sneak up to Sydney for that one. SWMBO might have other ideas!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:41 am

Thanks Maka
Glad you had such a good time
I didn't make it this year though I did see Charley M. with a slimmed down Candy Kane at the Basement
Manly has it's Jazz Festival the Oct Holiday weekend, with a sprinkling of Blues and just ten minutes by shanks pony. And all FREE
I wasn't even aware the Sydney(Windsor) festival was on, thanks for the thumbs up.
Rumor has its the last 12 months of touring for Johnnie Green's Cowboys, a strong line-up.
Trouble is its too close to stay over night, too far for public transport,in the main the venues( PUBS) too much temptations to drive home. Yep I've got the Blues
beard-of-grey
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:06 am

Further to the Sydney Blues Fest
Gotta love it when a Paddle Wheeler is one of the venues
beard-of-grey
Regular

Return to HomeTown Blues