Invading North Carolina,,,,,,,,

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Invading North Carolina,,,,,,,,

Postby savage » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:07 pm

>If I ever hear the phrase "here's another Stevie Ray Vaughn
>song" I think I will take one of the guns all us are talking
>about & kill myself.

ooo, ona THOSE shows, haha

Yer 200% Grady. Just cause someones the owner of a bar yer playin at dont mean they can hassle you. Sorry yer guys jam didnt happen.
savage
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:18 pm

DANG! I was lookin fwd to a Grady and Roy story!
Can't blame ya a bit fer bailin on the gig though! Most of my non playin friends know better than to touch one of my axes however my best buddy was playin my Tak one night and just as I walked in the room his 2 yr old was gonna help him play and was mauling my beauty with grimy mitts.... Tom saw the look on my face and KNEW it was a mistake! Now we keep a beat to hell old Cort elec. lay'n around for anyone that thinks they can play and my son posted a sign in our music room stating that if ya value your life and want to keep all your fingers, DON'T TOUCH!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:35 pm

What a bummer Grady and Roy. Another notch on the "paying your dues" stick. Like you guys need any more notches!
bluejay
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:42 pm

Thanks for the support guys !!!!

Yeh,,I didn't make a "scene" or anything.
I just stood my ground and wouldn't budge.

With the Red Lion being the place where the Piedmont Blues Preservation Society holds a lot of it's functions,,,I was expecting a much nicer place.

I was more than "taken a little aback" when I walked thru the front door.

and yes RB,,,,I tire of the whole "SRV" thing very quickly too.
I totally understand where you're coming from.
The NightBirds don't play any SRV when I jam with them.

I just don't do SRV tunes unless someone specifically requests it.
grady
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:38 pm

We probably should start an "Unreasonable Requests by Club Owners" thread after this one. That's a bummer.

I always make it a point to find out who the club Owner/Mgr is as soon as I arrive to try and avoid unecessary scenes like that one, but sometimes even that doesn't save you.

I always explain it this way when things go sour with a club. Just because you hired me for a service doesn't give you the right to treat me like an employee. I agreed to provide said service, you agreed to pay for said service. That amounts to a business contract and partnership, nothing more or less, and does not give the club owner excessive rights. Having said that we all know how club owners like to have their arses kissed anyway.

Here's a recent run-in my band had. We were hired by the owner's son to play an upscale club. The bar restaurant is in one half of a downtown storefront that has been divided in half, front to back with a hallway down the middle. In the other half was a gift shop owned by the same folks. We were told to set up and soundcheck before 5:00 pm to avoid disturbing the dinner crowd. While we were setting up, the son told us the giftshop had been broken into several times and that they had found crack heads sleeping in there! Just about that time his mother shows up (whom we had not met) and demands that all the instrument and equipment cases,amp covers etc. be moved "across the hall" so as to not clutter up her club! When I tried to explain that her son said that was an unsecure area and that the cases contained thousands of dollars worth of guitars, harps, etc., she was incensed that I would question her and walked away from me in a huff in the middle of our "conversation." Swell, first night at a new club and off on the wrong foot, but dammit I stood my ground, too. As far as I was concerned her request was unreasonable. If you are expected to set up and soundcheck by a certain time, you'd like to be able to think your intruments are secure until showtime!

We played the gig, which she didn't bother to show up at because she owns two other restaurants. We eventually got rebooked there but it took us a couple months. Ain't it grand.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:43 pm

Only a suggestion, if someone tries pulling that storage stunt on you, ask them to place £$10,000 worth of their own property next to yours. In most walks of life, most people back off if they have to take direct responsibility/risk.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:11 pm

yeah, people tend to be very inconsiderate when it's not their property that's in jeopardy.
savage
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs