Invading North Carolina,,,,,,,,

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Invading North Carolina,,,,,,,,

Postby grady » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:02 pm

I like a 9mm Semi-Auto myself.

Lately,,I've been thinking about a .380
grady
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:08 pm

when I first started shooting i was a 9mm fan. Used to like the Berreta M9 models. However, over time my preferences have changed a bit.

>I'm very partial to my Colt Mk IV Series 70 Government Model
>.45 that I bought in 1977.

thats a damn nice gun. Can't go wrong with a colt .45, but that there is about as good as it gets. I have always liked a bit of weight in a handgun, though the .45's that Glock and H&K make are excellent pistols. I've been wantin to try out the USP and Mk 23 models that H&K makes.

A couple years back my dad picked up ona those desert eagle cannons (.50 cal). While OVERKILL is the first thing that comes to mind, it is a very well balanced peice. Most see the gun as a result of the whole "my gun is bigger than yours" concept... which is what made me think it was just another ignorant firearm project (like the spas 12 shotgun which is far too big and heavy to use for anything). It is deffinately louder than most guns, and wouldnt be my first choice for home-defence... but if I were to get into a gun fight I would be happy to have that thing on me. There aint too many places to hide when you're firin bullets that go through just about anything. The gun looks like it would have a huge kick and be very uncomfortable to tote(sp?). However it has about the same kick as any 45, just a bigger bang. It is also suprisingly accurate.
savage
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:10 pm

somethin else that I thought I may ask. I know this sounds silly, but has anyone ever tried to learn to shoot from the hip? One day when I'm in an appropriate location (a nice open outdoor range) I'd like to try this.
savage
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:15 pm

No, I've never fooled with that stuff much. I wouldn't recommend it for practical use, anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:33 pm

>No, I've never fooled with that stuff much. I wouldn't
>recommend it for practical use, anyway.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

No way, haha. I meant just for fun, if you're into that sorta thing. Kinda just as a challenge when target shootin.
savage
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:39 pm

S & W 357 magnum w/a 6 inch barrel is my personal fav. I've always preferred the simplicity of revolvers. Also have a 22 target (am. standard)pistol, .380 and 9mm. 12ga crowd-control 9 shot shotgun, 20ga dbl. barrel & 22 squirrel gun. Been shootin' nearly as long as I've had teeth. . Lookin forward to it Grady - just harp rig is all I need. See ya tonight. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:57 pm

>somethin else that I thought I may ask. I know this sounds
>silly, but has anyone ever tried to learn to shoot from the
>hip? One day when I'm in an appropriate location (a nice
>open outdoor range) I'd like to try this.

IMO,,shooting from the Hip is not good unless you're using a sawed-off Shotgun at close range.

TV & Movies have saved a lot of lives by showing people constantly shooting the hip.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:04 pm

I've always been told that a 9mm will go straight through and not always STOP em! Where as a 45 will take some body parts w/ it.
As for shootin from the hip.... I messed around w/ the cowboy action shooting several years back and got purdy good at quick draw shots from the hip. However as has been said here... not my choice for accurate protection shots!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:24 pm

I've also heard that a 9mm will glance off of a Windshield too.

That's why I think I'm going to go with the smaller .380

But,,all in all,,,I'd much rather use a 12-Gauge Shotgun.

I'm getting ready to head out to NC in a few minutes.
Stay tuned folks,,,we'll have photos of Roy BluesBoy & myself
jammin' at the Red Lion tomorrow.
grady
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:26 pm

>As for shootin from the hip.... I messed around w/ the
>cowboy action shooting several years back and got purdy good
>at quick draw shots from the hip. However as has been said
>here... not my choice for accurate protection shots!

deffinately not, when it comes to protection, theres no place for messing around.
savage
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:20 pm

Well, just remember for handguns, if you don't find it comfortable to carry, it doesn't matter what round it shoots because you won't have it with you. The same goes at home -- being a good shot with the gun you can handle is better than being a poor shot with a gun that is allegedly a stopper. There are plenty of folks stopped every year with .22's, .32's, .380's and .38 specials -- all said to be weak rounds by the fans of heavy artillary that the average person would never be able to keep on target.

To slight any caliber without indicating what exact load/bullet style you are using under what conditions, well it's pointless. A .380 was once considered marginal, but the new personal defense rounds finally being made for it bring it's performance into acceptable personal use range. A quality .380 such as the Walther PPKS (it comes in .32 as well, but no advantage at all to go with the smaller round in this case) is certainly easy to have at hand without overwhelming the shooter. When Wisconsin finally gets concealed carry approved, that'll probably be my choice for a carry weapon. I'd hate to have to haul my Ruger 9mm around, let alone a .45 -- even an "officer's" or "carry" model, on a regular basis.

There are plenty of loads in 9mm that will do the job with proper shot placement. A Power-Ball or EFMJ +P load can give you great expansion, shock and penetration without some of the drawbacks of certain hollow-point designs (I like my Federal personal defense loads among hollow points, but it is true that a heavy winter coat can plug up a hollow point and prevent expansion), and certainly without the mentioned pass-through history of FMJ 9mm loads. And since practice is pretty important to being competent with any handgun, the fact that standard FMJ 9mm is reasonably cheap ammo, you can afford to practice a lot more should you choose to put in the time.

Last time I visited my brother, he took me to the range with his trio of Browning Hi-Power 9's and they were smooth operators, very accurate and consistent, easy to handle. He takes his shooting seriously -- he'll shoot more rounds in an afternoon test session than I will in a year -- and has a slew of handguns to choose from, in a variety of calibers and configurations -- including .45s, and he's found the Brownings to be among his favorites.

As for windshields, lots of variables to determine if a shot will penetrate besides caliber. And that situation shouldn't be too likely if you're defending yourself inside your own home.
bluejay
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-05 AT 06:37 PM (EST)]Yes, caliber has little if anything to do with how swiftly you can take someone down. Without a doubt a 9mm, a .22, or a .380 can can the job done just as well. And, as a serious side-arm wouldnt likely be carryin somethin so big and heavy as a .50 cal cannon. That is why I prefer the glock .45. It is incredibly light weight and less bulky than a colt. While there are many 9mm (and smaller) that are very reliable guns, most of my more favorable experiences with pistols has been with .45's.

>As for windshields, lots of variables to determine if a shot will
>penetrate besides caliber. And that situation shouldn't be too
>likely if you're defending yourself inside your own home.

haha, lets hope so
savage
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:35 am

Glocks just don't fit my hand well, while the gov't style .45's do -- but there are so many choices out there for every size hand, that anyone who wants to take up shooting for fun, sport or protection should be able to find one that suits them. I guess if you are a really really big guy (e.g. a modern era pro football lineman) then a Desert Eagle might just disappear in your waistband without a big bulge.

And if the burglar enters your home via a car through the wall, then I guess you better not worry about popping a pistol round through the windshield and haul out the riot gun, lol.
bluejay
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:55 am

Well,,,that was a VERY short gig.

Here's what happened,,,,,,

So,,,I get there.
There's no fliers or anything up so,,I guess the guy that runs the place doesn't advertise.....I don't know.

Anyway,,

It wasn't what I expected.
A nasty tiny little place in a very little "strip mall".

So,,I'm trying to do a Soundcheck and this nasty looking little guy comes up and says,,,"Let me see your Guitar" and motions for me to hand him my Martin.
So,,,you can pretty much guess what happened.

First of all,,,,I don't let strangers play my Guitars,,especially my Martin.

Second of all,,,Don't interrupt me when I'm playing Music and demand that I let you play my Guitar.

Third,,,,I don't let intoxicated people anywhere near my Guitars.

I politely told the guy "No".

Well,,,turns out,,,,he owns that little "hole in the wall"
I told him,,,"I don't care who you are,,you're not touching my Guitars."

He said,,"Well,,you're not playing in my Bar"
I said,,"Fine,,I'll pack my stuff.You're not touching my Martin."

So,,,as you might expect,,,he ended up leaving before I did.

I didn't let that nasty little guy intimidate me or "run me outta his place."

I waited around inside the Bar till about 9:10pm to see if Roy BluesBoy was going to come by then,,,I came on home.

I just don't let nasty looking people who are obviously intoxicated touch my Guitars.
grady
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:56 pm

Hey Grady, I bet we all but missed each other in the parking lot! We got there right around 9 (give or take) and the bass player came up & met me to tell me you were not there - they told me later what happened. We stayed for a set even though they guys told me they played in Eb and I saw the hat the guitar player was wearing. One set was all I could stomach. If I ever hear the phrase "here's another Stevie Ray Vaughn song" I think I will take one of the guns all us are talking about & kill myself. Sorry I missed you but most of all sorry I stayed (ha-ha). Don't blame you for tellin' the owner to f-off. I had my Taylor in my office at work & a customer came in & picked it up a strummed a couple of chords before even registered. 10 or 15 years ago he would have been spitting out teeth. Believe it or not, on monday nights the Red Lion used to be full of some serious blues talent. Again, sorry I missed you - maybe anothe time. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs