Vibrating JBL's in a '67 Twin Reverb

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Vibrating JBL's in a '67 Twin Reverb

Postby Bluesrocker » Sat May 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Hello everyone,
I've got a problem with a Twin. It's a '67 Silverface Twin Reverb (one of the first) and it's got 2 JBL K120's in it, sequentially numbered. They are not the original speakers but they were installed a long time ago (not by me). The amp really rocks, the speakers are monsters but they tend to "squeal" at high volumes. I've had the volume on 3 and with a humbucker Gibson plugged into Vibrato input #2 with guitar volume on 10, they screech. I tightened up nuts (used locktite) and replaced some that were missing. This helped a bit, but the other night I was using my Les Paul and my Crybaby wah pedal and the speakers were really screeching. Strats and Tele's don't seem to have the same effect. Those JBL's are really heavy speakers (physically and musically!). Can the Twin's cabinet handle those babies? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bluesrocker
Regular

Re: Vibrating JBL's in a '67 Twin Reverb

Postby zhyla » Sun May 17, 2009 1:37 am

Is it both the speakers? Can you (temporarily) wire up just one speaker and then the other and see if it behaves the same? The impedance will be off so you will end up cranking it higher to get the same volume. Could be one of your cones is shot.
zhyla
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Blues