when is enough is enough???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: when is enough is enough???

Postby bignick » Wed May 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm easy and if I am going to use a pedal I want to keep them all "On" ideally and not deal with them.

Pedal tuner, Reverb pedal (my Bassman is dry as a bone), Boost (vintage one-channel head is effected greatly), Overdrive (not distortion, more screamer like), Compressor, Wah (for soul or funk sounds)

The only one I turn off and on is my Overdrive pedal

I'll probably add a Chorus in the future
bignick
Regular

Postby TheDude » Wed May 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I used to own a V-amp 2 which is pretty much a POD rip-off. There's a gazillion different sounds in there, but all of them are mediocre at best.

Now it's just guitar - fulldrive - clean amp and it sounds good. And it sounds good with pretty much any guitar you plug into it. It goes from fat clean countrified tones with my Tele, all the way to Gary Moore-type lead tones on the LP. I can get any tone I want, except for metal.

IF I were to have some effects though, I'd go for separate units. I wouldn't go down the multi effects road again.

Anyhoo. There's a guy I know in Singapore who sells boutique effects and his motto is: Less is more, but more is still more. :D You should get as many as you're happy with.
TheDude
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Less is more, but more is still more.

I like that.

My current line up is Amp - Delay - Distortion - EQ - Tuner. But even then, i have the distortion at a minimum and really only use the delay when I switch to harp.

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Got a borrowed Roland 60w in the house at the moment, we going to see you going deaf in Swanage in Oct, or more family/money/women commiments? :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby felixq78 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:27 pm

To me stomp boxes are nice toys to fool around with at home when I'm bored and can't crank up my amp. When playing with other musicians at concert levels a touch of fairy dust is nice but too many effects just get in the way.
Of course certain effects are required for certain songs but if the effect overrides the natural tone of my axe and amp then forget it I've gone too far.
Nothing beats the sound of a superb guitar and amp cranked to their sweet spot, if you can't hear the wood over the effects then why bother spending hard earned dollars on top line gear, a squire Strat and el cheapo tranny amp (Yech!!Bleah!!!) will do.
felixq78
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Mon May 18, 2009 8:22 am

October is looking likely, I even have prospective company coming along this time. I'm going to be back on here more often quite soon, and will tell you for sure, but i think so. Thats as near to a definite yes as you get from me these days Im afraid.

If the summer goes as well as I hope, I may be asking steve to book my new band a slot in March. Im finally playing harp in a band, playing a bit of guitar too, one of those fancy electric ones that Ive heard so much about these last ten years or so.

How did you get a big amp up to your flat? Please tell me that you built a machine to carry it up the stairs for you....

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm

The Roland is physically not much bigger than a practice amp, but them's good honest big footed watts if you need to use them. It's currently bungeed to a trolley, I found that if I carry the Strat in it's bag, the amp can sit safely on the trolley, just plug in and give it sum welly :mrgreen:

Marko claims to be digging his escape tunnel fro munder Her Thumb again. Clive's a doubtful, I think he got some Marital Earbending after last time. We'll be playing in our local rehearsal room on Wednesday anyway, with a bit of luck we'll teach him how to work his Trace bloody Elliott at last.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby JLHooker » Wed May 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Personally, I don't like to use effects .I prefer a clean sound,but I believe that fooling around with different effects and experimenting with equipment encourages me to play more and keeps my interest up.
JLHooker
JLHooker
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues