when is enough is enough???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: when is enough is enough???

Postby multisounds » Tue May 12, 2009 3:08 am

must have 20 or more pedals

Good riddence! Woowow, so many pedals. How do you find time to look at the audience? LOL. Thx for your replies again folks. Now I have a better understanding what pedal(s) I should get-probably 1 or 2 and that's it. Boogie chillin suggested "phaser" and one other guy mentioned "delay" for "rockabilly sound". So, I reckon I might get overdrive, and either delay or phaser. That's it! Saves money.

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 am

deltablues57 wrote:I think the funny thing is the tube amp purists who won't play anything but tube amp. Well before the PURE guitar signal gets to the tube amp it has passed through several pedals (god forbid most pedals are solid state) and the connections and cables between the pedals. The guitar signal is so tainted that it is really NOT a clean tube amp sound.

This is faulty reasoning. We play tube amps because of the sound that tubes add, not preserve. Solid state tends not to taint the signal, that's why it's lousy as an amplifier but great as an overdrive pedal.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby multisounds » Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 am

octave pedal

Hi Jane,

You mentioned pedal ME-50, is it a package of pedals and what effects are in the package. I must admit it does look alot neater in terms of stage presence when all the effects are in a container so that it's not sprawled everywhere-lol.

Also, octave pedal? Drops your guitar sound up or down and anything in between?? Wowowo? I can imagine what Hendix could have done with that!! :D

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue May 12, 2009 10:23 am

deltablues57 wrote:I think the funny thing is the tube amp purists who won't play anything but tube amp. Well before the PURE guitar signal gets to the tube amp it has passed through several pedals (god forbid most pedals are solid state) and the connections and cables between the pedals. The guitar signal is so tainted that it is really NOT a clean tube amp sound.

oh no, it's still "pure tube amp", just not "pure guitar"

I usually use an overdrive, unless I can turn my amp up far enough to get the amp to overdrive, which even with a 18Watt tube amp is not often

I have a reverb and a tremolo pedal, as my amp doesn't have either

usually that's it as far as the blues band is concerned, apart from a wah sometimes

if I am to play other style music, I can always add a phaser and / or chorus

whether blues or other, because I do like to change "color", so I have 3 different OD's lying around, AND a clean booster - BOSS SD-1 is the most used

I am also a follower of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" --> not everything on my pedalboard has to be turned on all the time, not even MOST of the time, for that matter ;-) - I don't throw every herb and spice I have in the cupboard in every dish I cook either :roll: ) and I consider effects as the spices of my tone: to be added as you (I) please, but prefer them in the background.
I used to have a much bigger setup, in which I had gtr --> amp behind me, then from the line out of the amp into effects into stereo power amp and two 12" cabs, one either side of the stage. sounded HUUUUUGE with just a touch of delay (35ms left and 45 ms right if I recall correctly) but the hassle of loading/unloading/setting up/breaking down this whole thing made me downsize - sometimes I'm just too lazy for my own good :roll:
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue May 12, 2009 10:42 am

Spices are a good analogy.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

thx Rico 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby TheDude » Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 pm

I'll always have my trusty Fulldrive 2 there, and sometimes a touch of reverb (from the amp). That's it. I don't particularly like FX. I used to have chorus, phaser, wah, acoustic simulator, etc. Sold them all.

I do have a soft spot for overdrive / distortion pedals though, so I own a few of those. I just don't use them all at once.
TheDude
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue May 12, 2009 2:28 pm

TheDude wrote:
I do have a soft spot for overdrive / distortion pedals though, so I own a few of those. I just don't use them all at once.

One band I was in in secondary school was a noise-alternative-post punk-shoegaze band... bassically feedback and fuzz wall of sound stuff...

I was rhythm guitar running distortion fuzz and overdrive in a chain, the lead guitarist had about half a dozen pedals designed for noise/feedback inducing. The bassist distorted his, I reckon if we'd mic'd the drums they'd've been distorted too!

It was crazy crazy times!
Bournio
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Tue May 12, 2009 2:40 pm

I used to play through one of these. I still have it I think. This is nuts. Is was an OK distrortion box but it wasn't $450 good.

http://www.studio1525.com/catalog/produ ... 68b774e99c

I wonder what my old Maestro Fuzz tone is worth. :D
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:00 pm

multisounds wrote: I should get-probably 1 or 2 and that's it. Boogie chillin suggested "phaser"

Well, hold on. If you've already got a flanger you probably don't need a phaser. They sound basically the same to me. Maybe someone else in this thread knows something i don't though...
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Tue May 12, 2009 5:47 pm

I use a VOX ToneLab LE.
It's the best-sounding Multi-Effects unit I've seen.
It's like having every effects pedal and every amp ever made at your finfertips (or toes)

Flanger = think "Funk" music
Phaser = think early Van Halen tone.

There's definitely a marked difference between the two.
grady
Regular

Postby thunda1216 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:10 pm

:D Sometimes I use a pod xt live into the PA. Most of the time I use the following pedals:

Wah
distortion
overdrive
phase shifter
chorus
tremelo
pedal tuner
into my mesa heartbreaker.

If I use the Pignose G60vr for smaller gigs, I add an EH nano LPB-1 power booster for solos.

The wah, overdrive and phase shifter seem to get the most use.

ty
thunda1216
Regular

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Tue May 12, 2009 10:05 pm

multisounds wrote:
octave pedal

Hi Jane,

You mentioned pedal ME-50, is it a package of pedals and what effects are in the package. I must admit it does look alot neater in terms of stage presence when all the effects are in a container so that it's not sprawled everywhere-lol.

Also, octave pedal? Drops your guitar sound up or down and anything in between?? Wowowo? I can imagine what Hendix could have done with that!! :D

cheers
multi

I've lost the instruction booklet, of course (even though it was enormous) so I don't know what the proper name for what I called an 'octave pedal' is, but yes -- it's very cool. And it's a small and neat piece of kit for something with so much on board.

Looking at the getup now, it's got 3 basic pedals (apart from the octave pedal, which doubles as a volume control): delay, overdrive/distortion, and modulation. Each of those has multiple settings. The delay settings are pretty standard, with some weird stuff like 'space pan' thrown in that I wouldn't use. The modulation includes flanger, phaser, 3 types of chorus, tremelo, vibrato, and some other stuff I've never used. The od/distortion is really good, and has umpteen options. I like the fuzz, which I think is supposed to emulate Hendrix, and there's also octave fuzz (and of course you can add the octave pedal on top of that too). No wonder my neighbours hate me :D Perhaps I'm a closet bass player.

Then there are various knobs and whistles above the pedals, like 'tone modify' (which includes things like 'fat', 'hollow' and 'acoustic'), two compressor controls, and a reverb thing, and the octave pedal 'expression' controls includes up an octave, down an octave, wah, resonance and some other options generating sounds I can't describe. I'm sure it does all sorts of other stuff too, which I haven't discovered yet. I think it's great.

That said -- I'm certainly no expert on these things, and grady's ToneLab sounds good.

I've also got a Pocket Pod, which I carry around when I'm going to a mate's place to noodle around. That's a really handy little gadget too.
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby multisounds » Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Jane, JB, Grady and all the rest of you friendly folks,

Ok, got a better understanding of what those gadgets can do and what sounds they can create, like Eddie Van Halen for example! I think I might keep my rig small and simple without being too extravagent!

Cheers folks, if I could do some cyber jam with any of you guys I would glady join in for some licks and riffs!!

multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

One reason I went with the Fulldrive 2 is that I have a Boss GT-6 multi-effect that I ended up just using for overdrive :) It's got a lot of great sounds in there I just don't use much, and I never wanted to spend the time learning how to program the stupid thing. I thought it was silly to have this massive multi-effect thing that I used a single sound from, though I do miss kicking in the wah.
CashWiley
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Blues