Survived our first gig!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

RE: Survived our first gig!

Postby 1four5 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:28 pm

Tons and tons of thanks you guys! Got some lyrics printed up...and we start working some new stuff tomorrow. I'll be looking more into the DB's other stuff! I had never even heard of them before...it's always cool to find new (old) stuff to check out!
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:21 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-05 AT 05:37 PM (EST)]If any of you'all are really really bored...we got video of this gig from start to finish, we just turned the camera on and let it run. 45 minutes and 9 songs. Starts slow, but gets better. Goes well with my first post in this thread. What a trip watching it (for me anyways). If you do watch it, there a couple guys from the audience up there for awhile...they just wanted to be part of it, so we gave em mic's (unplugged) and let them air kereokie for a bit :). It's a huge file, but it should stream.

http://www.ukeblue.com/firstgig.wmv
1four5
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:48 pm

That's great! sounds very good to me. Nice covers.

...and that guy with the cowboy hat on was gettin' into it, eh? :)
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:30 pm

Wow, thanks BluesMcGoo!!! :)

The guy with the cowboy hat was a real trip! Once we got over the nerves, the next challenge was playing while laughing :)...oh yeah, and this was a lunch party...no booze, they had to go back to work! Thanks for the compliments, is a real honor!
1four5
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:51 pm

Lunch party? Sober? No Booze?

Error, redo from start, instruction not understood, abort y/n?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:59 pm

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere ay? :) ...we get the same crowd for a weekend christmas party next month...and aint nobody gotta go back to work...
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:18 pm

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere ay? ...we get the same crowd for a weekend christmas party next month...and aint nobody gotta go back to work...

You gotta love Christmas parties and spiked Egg Nog. Many years ago we had a Christmas party for a restaurant I worked at. I was in my 20s at the time and this older waitress in her 50s got really looped on wine. Somebody was spinning records for dancing and they played "Rock and Roll Never Forgets" by Bob Seeger. The rest of the night she keep staggering around bellowing out "BOB SEEGER NEVER FORGETS!!!" It was hilarious and I still laugh about that from time to time.

Always remember...The more folks drink, the better your band will sound...so encourage them! My band does "All Drink" where everyone in the place is asked to hoist their glass.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:06 am

Hey our Christmas party was yesterday and we had a blast. I guess we did good, because they invited us back for their next party, whatever that may be! Played for 2 hours, all Christmas songs. It really sucked though, because just when we were getting going, the rent ran out on the ballroom...we could have kept going all night! Even snuck some blues riffs in with our version of Blue Christmas and a very blue version of I'll be Home for Christmas. Here's a few pics.
http://www.ukeblue.com/goodwillchristmas2005.html
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:43 pm

Great pics, thanks Dean.

Personel changes in the group? Noticed a female included now and your your lead singer swapped his guitar for the keys. Had a couple guitars before as I recall.

Thanks for sharing-

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Looks pretty cool, Dean!

Yeah seems to be a few changes there. What gives?

...and you're looking mighty comfortable on that banjo.

By the way...did that "dancing guy" show up for this one?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:04 pm

They ought to be due for a party around New Year's, I'd think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:06 am

Hey thank's ya'all! Oh yeah, Sonny the dancing guy was there!:) Yep, the female is Tom's (lead guitar/keyboards) wife. We've been trying to get her to join for some time. She sits in on our jams and can REALLY sing. She's into good suff to like "Love has no Pride" etc. Well, since we were doing Christmas stuff, she agreed to sing harmony with Tom, and Tom decided to do the Christmas songs on keyboard (I don't blame him!). Then our rhythm guitar player had life pretty much implode on him with two deaths in the family, broken heater, car quit...and couldn't make it. Alice, Tom's wife, as it turns out, plays a mean rhythm guitar as well, so she filled in. Alice had been kind of shy, and didn't really want to butt into the "guys" thing or something...but after yesterday, I think she's pretty much jazzed about playing with us...so hopefully, we'll be 5 members from now on. When we did Holy Night, I though the chandeleers in the place were going to explode.

I don't know what it is about that darn banjo...it's just a down right blast to play. From the tuning, to only 5 strings, to picking style, it just seems to gell in my brain and hands...unlike my guitar which seems to be a constant struggle. I'm really looking forward to next year, and adding some more bluesier stuff, and see what I can pull out of that banjo.
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:52 am

How awesome! Get on down! Merry Xmas.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:48 am

I don't know what it is about that darn banjo...it's just a down right blast to play. From the tuning, to only 5 strings, to picking style, it just seems to gell in my brain and hands...unlike my guitar which seems to be a constant struggle. I'm really looking forward to next year, and adding some more bluesier stuff, and see what I can pull out of that banjo.

Those are just beautiful, inspirational words Dean! Please pardon the sentiment, but I just found out my best ever friend died, aged 54. He was a restless soul and I know his guitar was his salvation through many a dire period. It probably kept him alive about 20 years longer than he should have lived. I am constantly amazed what a powerful influence music can be in someone's life. Carry on.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:40 am

Merry Christmas LoriLu!!!

Bosco, I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but knowing he was a musician is knowing he went with a song in his heart. You don't know how close your words hit home for me. I don't know your friends history, but I bet I can make a good guess from personal experience. Keeping it together was a real struggle until I picked up my first instrument, and it's changed my whole outlook on everything.
1four5
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs