when is enough is enough???

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

when is enough is enough???

Postby multisounds » Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 am

Hi Folks,

Have you ever seen a guitarist of any style have 20 or more pedals infront of him or her??? The most i've seen fleetingly is perhaps 5 or 6 and that's by memory. So when is enough pedal below your feat is enough?? Surely you can't buy every possible pedal model ever made and hope you can use it all the time, therefore, I have chosen the "essential" pedals needed to cover "world" sounds. So here they are:

1/Overdrive or Distortion-one or the other.
2/Chorus.
3/delay.
4/Flanger.

Does this selection cover it folks?? Perhaps I'm being too simplistic, but I'd be happy to know what other pedal sounds you might suggest. Otherwise it becomes overloaded and cumbersome to carry all these 5 more more pedals to anywhere and play. That's cuz I'm about to buy some pedals but I do not know the exact range of pedals to use and if you suggest 10 or more I'll be bankrupt-LOl :D

So, please feel free to add or reduce the items from my list. If you have anyother suggestion please tell me.

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Re: when is enough is enough???

Postby CashWiley » Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm

You need exactly as many pedals as you need. That'll be different for most people.

I just use an overdrive pedal, with vibrato from the amp. Don't like reverb or chorus or any of that, got my fill of that in the 80s. At some point I might add a delay for some of the rock n roll stuff.

Don't forget some of those 20 pedals would be a tuner, EQ, pedal power, A/B/Y, etc. Not just effects.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 pm

My number is a nice round one: Zero.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby zhyla » Mon May 11, 2009 2:43 pm

rustyslide wrote:My number is a nice round one: Zero.

Yes. Guitar->cable->amp.

I occasionally throw a delay pedal in there if I'm pretending I can play rockabilly.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:02 pm

I have a phase shifter I use sometimes cause of Waylon Jennings, but I always feel extravagant using it. :?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm

"Enough" is all the Pedals you

need
can use efficiently
can afford
grady
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon May 11, 2009 4:26 pm

I've always loved Adrian Belew. When I saw him last year, his processors took up about as much space as the rest of the band did.

I'm more of a guitar - and that's it - guy.

Depends on what the sounds in your head sound like.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon May 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Guitar -> Tube Screamer -> Amp.

One pedal is enough, although I would like to have more.

Jonny Buckland, the guitarist for Coldplay, seriously must have 20 or more pedals on his pedal board. At least he did during the X&Y tour.

It's a beast. Not sure what that massive thing is. He gets some crazy tones.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 pm

My friend has one of those. I think Boss makes it.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 pm

There's a player locally who used to spend as much time playing the pedals as the guitar. Two separate occasions and people, I heard him called "Fred Astaire". I've been told since that he's gone down to none, and sounds far better. This is probably true, I heard him do Elmore stuff on an Epiphone (Coronado?) through a Twin, no widgets, doodahs, effects, just stunning.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 pm

multisounds wrote:Hi Folks,

Have you ever seen a guitarist of any style have 20 or more pedals infront of him or her??? The most i've seen fleetingly is perhaps 5 or 6 and that's by memory. So when is enough pedal below your feat is enough?? Surely you can't buy every possible pedal model ever made and hope you can use it all the time, therefore, I have chosen the "essential" pedals needed to cover "world" sounds. So here they are:

1/Overdrive or Distortion-one or the other.
2/Chorus.
3/delay.
4/Flanger.

Does this selection cover it folks?? Perhaps I'm being too simplistic, but I'd be happy to know what other pedal sounds you might suggest. Otherwise it becomes overloaded and cumbersome to carry all these 5 more more pedals to anywhere and play. That's cuz I'm about to buy some pedals but I do not know the exact range of pedals to use and if you suggest 10 or more I'll be bankrupt-LOl :D

So, please feel free to add or reduce the items from my list. If you have anyother suggestion please tell me.

cheers
multi

I've got a Boss ME-50 pedalboard which is quite small, very easy to carry around, and has about as many effects as I could ever dream of experimenting with. At the moment I particularly like exploring what can be done with the octave pedal, which can be used to immediately drop a full octave (or anything in-between), but it gives you zillions of options.

Must get a pick-up fitted to the banjo :lol:

J
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 12, 2009 1:09 am

I regularly use a compressor and for rockabilly--vibrato--thats it

If I have a room with feedback problems -I'll use a noise gate on my gretsches
goldbrick
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 am

A man walked into a bar with his alligator and asked the bartender, "Do you serve banjo players here?"
"Sure do," replied the bartender.
"Good," said the man.
"Give me a beer, and I'll have a banjo picker for my 'gator."
goldbrick
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue May 12, 2009 1:27 am

I've had them all. Still do.Wah's, delays, shifters, wham whams and zuzu's. Don't use 'em. I have one dirt pedal I use now and again for a bit of overdrive late at night so as not to disturb mrs. blues. For my style of playing and the music I make, they're not necessary. Were I to be in a working cover band, I'd have so many peddles it would look like I was doing the riverdance.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 am

I think the funny thing is the tube amp purists who won't play anything but tube amp. Well before the PURE guitar signal gets to the tube amp it has passed through several pedals (god forbid most pedals are solid state) and the connections and cables between the pedals. The guitar signal is so tainted that it is really NOT a clean tube amp sound.
deltablues57
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues